Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Paralympians

Jesus humbles me to see these people. How f**kin inspirational . What the hell hae we the able bodied got to drip and groan about really ?

everyone of em deserves a medal.

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2008
    I doubt the athletes competing would agree with you GH.

They want to win a medal on merit, not just because they have a disability and are motivated enough to compete in sport..

I agree though, i find them very inspirational but if you told these guys i reckon you would get a very modest response. Something else to commend all of the Olympians on (including the Paralympians).
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Team GB are doing well again, might need two planes to bring this lot back!!
  • Options
    Tell ya what GH they are bloody amazing

the one legged cyclist steaming round the velodrome breaking the world record - sorry SMASHING the world record was incredible. The swimmers paralysed from the waist down were unbelievable as well - their upper body strength must be immense.

Inspirational people the lot of 'em.
  • Options
    The 13 year old girl who won the gold yesterday. She was in tears when interviewed. Great stuff

WSS, agree with you.
  • Options
    do you have to have certain disabilities to compete in certain events?
    Eg. can a blind swimmer compete against someone paraylsed from the waist down?
  • Options
    I think Salad it is categorised in terms of severity of disability.

What those categories are i have no idea.
  • Options
    Just like to say i agree with GH
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]do you have to have certain disabilities to compete in certain events?
    Eg. can a blind swimmer compete against someone paraylsed from the waist down?

Yes, they have a number of classifications.

Last night there were three degrees of visual impairment and about 7 others for the swimming.

In some of the cycling they had factoring which means, I think, you get time taken away depending on the nature of the disability so one British woman had to get a speed close to Chris Hoy if she wanted to win.
  • Options
    The captain of the GB rugby team is a lad from Sidcup. I was there the day he broke his neck playing for Charlton Park 4ths. Sickening sight to see someone laying on the ground not moving.

Andy barrow
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]The captain of the GB rugby team is a lad from Sidcup. I was there the day he broke his neck playing for Charlton Park 4ths. Sickening sight to see someone laying on the ground not moving.

Andy barrow

He is a Charlton fan.

There was an article in the programme about him a year or two back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but does anyone know if the Paralympians are drugs tested the same as the able bodied athletes?

The only reason I ask is that with some disabilities I would imagine that sufferers maybe need drugs to assist their condition. For example, steroids are a common treatment for various conditions, but would that mean someone taking such a (prescribed) drug would be ineligible to compete?

Don't even know why I'm asking really - the question just popped into my head so I thought I would share it with the group!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Just like to say i agree with GH

at least someone does :-)
  • Options
    Extremely humbled by these fantastic people, living with disabilities is one thing, competing at the highest level is something else.....they should be an inspiration to us all.

Obviously almost all without exception will be on medication and my understanding is that they have to register the drugs that they are prescribed with.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but does anyone know if the Paralympians are drugs tested the same as the able bodied athletes?

The only reason I ask is that with some disabilities I would imagine that sufferers maybe need drugs to assist their condition. For example, steroids are a common treatment for various conditions, but would that mean someone taking such a (prescribed) drug would be ineligible to compete?

Don't even know why I'm asking really - the question just popped into my head so I thought I would share it with the group!

Yep, one was caught yesterday, can't find the news link at the moment though

Also, I imagine there is official dispensation for drugs vital to treatment, for example Paul Scholes has international clearance for the steriods found in his asthma inhaler
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The 13 year old girl who won the gold yesterday. She was in tears when interviewed. Great stuff

I'll let you into a little secret Ben....so was I.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You big softie, S.

It was very moving
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Extremely humbled by these fantastic people, living with disabilities is one thing, competing at the highest level is something else.....they should be an inspiration to us all.

Obviously almost all without exception will be on medication and my understanding is that they have to register the drugs that they are prescribed with.

Top post Tel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]The 13 year old girl who won the gold yesterday. She was in tears when interviewed. Great stuff

WSS, agree with you.

I caught a bit of the interview and had to laugh as she wept and sobbed saying how happy she was - good on her.
  • Options
    http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRMP/ENG/INF/GL/95A/GL0000000.shtml

Over 100 medals now for GB and over 40 golds - 2nd place.

(and ahead of the US)