Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cranie: I was so frustrated at Pompey (SLP)

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=15944

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to seeing him play, but not good news for moo2 who i like.
  • Options
    imo he is much needed(if he is half decent) cos defensively i think our full backs moots, semedo, youga and basey are all prone to too many errors
    personally i don't think any of them are good enough to play in the defence of a promotion chasing outfit
  • Options
    He sounds a decent signing but it's very odd to me that after living with two loaned RB's last season, we haven't recified this with a permanent sign this season. If Moo2 isn't the answer as first choice RB, then surely we need somebody on the books who is?
  • Options
    In the report he says he dosen't mind playing at RB but CB is his prefered position. So not definate he will replace Moo2 week in week out. Gives a bit more competition to the other CB's. Which is much needed.
  • Options
    to be fair Bing I think Pards thought Moo2oo would come good but defensively he's a nightmare.
  • Options
    If we dominated games, held on to the ball etc then Moo2 would be an excellent attacking right back.

Unfortunately we don't and he's not.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If we dominated games, held on to the ball etc then Moo2 would be an excellent attacking right back.

Unfortunately we don't and he's not.

Do you think he could understudy sam on the wing? be a shame to lose him, wasn't he French U21 captain?
  • Options
    Moo2 made about two very costly errors at the start of last season but when he got dropped I thought he seemed to have eradicted his mistakes. Yassin played a big part in our exciting play post Xmas including the games where we outplayed West Brom. He was dropped because Parky wanted Halford and once we had him Pards felt obliged to play him. Crainey has come in as centre-back cover, but as he is a high profile Prem player, again Pards feels obliged to play him. Moo2 has barely made a mistake this season.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Barely a mistake AG!?

Penalty against Reading and sliced clearance to set up a Preston goal.

Going forward he looks good but defensively he's been woeful.

I just think we need to be solid this year. The defensive weakness last season were a major part of our problems IMO.
  • Options
    Disagree with the general consensus on Moo2. Only game that i've seen this season was Reading but in that game he was immense. I think people have to remember what it was like playing with 'proper' defensive full backs last season, they were the catalyst to us playing boring one dimensional, lump it to weegie football that everyone hated. If we play attacking full backs we're going to get caught short at the back and they're going to make individual mistakes but they're also going to galvanise the very talented players we have in our midfield and make us a very hot attacking prospect. On top of what i've said the signing of Bailey has given us solid central midfield foundation to take these attacking risks so lets give it a go. Away from home i can see the argument (imo neccessity) for a different formation (451) and i've no problems with either Youga or Moo2 being dropped or even moved up the pitch but at home we've got an attacking team to take it to any team in the division, let's not be afraid to play exiting football, we might just suprise ourselves at how good we are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But surely playing Moo2 and Youga one week, then dropping them for Cranie and Basey (for eg) the next, is exactly what we want to avoid - after last seasons chopping and changing.

IMO, a defensive unit becomes solid by playing week in week out.

I see what you're saying Santa but I personally don't feel comfortable with Moo2 playing at right back.

Let's see how he copes with Jarvis or Knightly on Saturday, if he plays.

A lot of Wolves fans think it's those two who've been responbsible for their recent success.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But Valley11 it shouldn't be beyond Pardew to point out to Moo2 that his role in a 451 away formation is primarily defensive and that if he wants to keep his place he doesn't bomb forward but at home he has a licence to attack (maybe a red or a green sticker system would help). You mentioned Basey imo he should NEVER play fb unless it's an emergency, the guys so easily turned it's untrue, people like to take a pop at Moo2 for his mistakes but at least he has the pace to recover, Basey doesn't. Not having a go at Basey who i really like but i just feel a less exposed position is better for him.
  • Options
    I agree with Santa - Moo2 may mack the odd mistake, but then again who doesn't. I'd rather have him at RB than a more defensive player who doesn't get forward. Also, don't forget he made the 4th goal against Reading with his cross and helped Sam out also with his overlapping runs & probably a better crosser than Sam !.

Basey again is better going forwards than defending - I'd have him in midfield or as part of a 5 man defence - his crossing is good also & has a decent shot , esp at free-kicks.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    quote "Penalty against Reading and sliced clearance to set up a Preston goal.

Going forward he looks good but defensively he's been woeful."quote

I think it was Bouza who sliced the clearance and for the penalty their guy brushed his raised foot and went down like a sack of Spuds. Most refs would have waived it away and possibly carded the Reading player. I agree we need to be solid defensively and we haven't had that for years, indeed about the time we got Matt Holland in, the non-tackling defensive midfielder. Hopefully with Bailey in the middle with ZZ who gets stuck in, we will be less vunerable. The other area we need to be committed is wingers giving the full backs cover, Sam does so, but I haven't seen enough of Bouaza.
  • Options
    I think Moo2 has had a really bum deal since he arrived... Remember him playing in the preseason at The Valley last season and he looked great...sprinting down the line one minute and then heading off his own line the next.... He's also the only Charlton player I have ever seen do a 'reverse' cross in a match, when he put the ball on Big Bent's head for our 1-1 with who?

I'm sure Pards said that he expected him to be pushing Luke Young for his place when he bought him... fact is that yes, he's made a couple of mistakes but then, as said above, who hasn't in that side? I don't think he's getting a run in the team which is what a player needs and I would like to see us play our own right back, not a loanee, and let him get at the oppo..... Of course, I don't see what goes on day to day in training....
  • Options
    I don't know how any of us can really assess Moo2's ability as he hasn't played enough games? I thought he was good against Reading, despite the pen, and he looked OK in one or two games last season although he's made an error or two.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what we all think, what matters is what Pards thinks/does and despite saying that he thought he had replaced Luke Young with somebody better at the start of last season, the reality is that when given the choice, he has not picked Moo2. He was injured soon after the start of last season so Pards got in Mills. Mills kept his place despite one or two iffy performances. Then with Moo2 back for a few games, he brought in Halford who also had some iffy performances but stayed in the team. Now, if we are to believe him, Pards is going to drop Moo2 for Cranie. For my part I just think he needs to either back his signing or get somebody in permanently who he does back.
  • Options
    Yea I'd agree with that bingaddick - Pardew needs to back him.

Perhaps he has had a raw deal.
  • Options
    You can't play Youga and Moo2 in the same side as full backs, that much is a given, so which one is better going forward and less likely to cost you a goal, and you play that one, and make sure the other side is soild.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]You can't play Youga and Moo2 in the same side as full backs, that much is a given, so which one is better going forward and less likely to cost you a goal, and you play that one, and make sure the other side is soild.

Why is that a given? If they could both cut out the unforced errors they would be an excellent pair of full backs IMHO.

They both have pace and if one goes forward the other will need to stay or the winger cover.

Still think that Basey and Youga is a good combination either way around. Would be interesting to see Youga in front of Basey.
  • Options
    at the moment it is, both are an accident waiting to happen in my eyes, Moo2 can't concentrate, and Youga is inconsistant.

I'll go Cranie and Youga at the moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i think moo2 will come good just needs more games,looks fab goin foward just needs 2 work on his defending.
  • Options
    Moo2 reminds me of Kish. Looked a liability in defence but ok in midfield. I don't hate Sam but i think Moo2 and Cranie down the right would be cracking.
  • Options
    No idea about Cranie. Plays for the U21s so can't be all bad but seems to be, or at least prefer, Centre Back.

Might strengthen the defence but give us less going forward.

We shall see.
  • Options
    what about going 3-5-2

surely Moo2 and Youga would be perfect fits for the wing-backs

would also solve our problem that one decent performance from Bouzza against Reading aside we don't have anyone who plays consistently well on the wings
  • Options
    I think the key to success playing 4-4-2 is that full backs need to get forward as much as possible. You need to be able to counter the oppositions tactic of pushing up on the full backs and stopping them getting forward. In order that you avoid being vulnerable to the counter attack, you need wingers that can provide protection when the full back is attacking. That's why I tend to agree with Henry. I'd like to see Youga and Basey have a run together in the team, especially away from home. I also thought that Sam and Moo2 worked well together with Sam able to sit on occasions when Moo2 attacked.

I guess it's about getting the balance right and, I think Pards preference is 4-4-2 with players who can get wide, and for me he just hasn't got it right yet most of the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I think the key to success playing 4-4-2 is that full backs need to get forward as much as possible. You need to be able to counter the oppositions tactic of pushing up on the full backs and stopping them getting forward. In order that you avoid being vulnerable to the counter attack, you need wingers that can provide protection when the full back is attacking. That's why I tend to agree with Henry. I'd like to see Youga and Basey have a run together in the team, especially away from home. I also thought that Sam and Moo2 worked well together with Sam able to sit on occasions when Moo2 attacked.I guess it's about getting the balance right and, I think Pards preference is 4-4-2 with players who can get wide, and for me he just hasn't got it right yet most of the time.

But if you play Basey with Youga that means playing Bouazza (another definite starter) on his weaker wing which to me is a no no, although i do actually rate Basey. Cranie WILL also play, unless he gets injured, as will Primus once he's fully fit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]But if you play Basey with Youga that means playing Bouazza (another definite starter) on his weaker wing which to me is a no no, although i do actually rate Basey. Cranie WILL also play, unless he gets injured, as will Primus once he's fully fit.

I was mainly suggesting Basey/Youga away from home. In that instant I wouldn't start with Bouazza and bring him on as an impact player as necessary. At home against most teams I would play Youga and Bouazza.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fair play Bing but i think we're going to see the loan players no matter what unless they have quite a few mares and the likes of Basey, Youga, Moo2, Fortune and Sam may at some point have to cope with spells of exclusion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]they were the catalyst to us playing boring one dimensional, lump it to weegie football

No-one told me I was meant to be Iwelumo's replacement....
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Fair play Bing but i think we're going to see the loan players no matter what unless they have quite a few mares and the likes of Basey, Youga, Moo2, Fortune and Sam may at some point have to cope with spells of exclusion.

I am sure your right but that worries me because that's exactly what we did last year. I guess it's a bit of a case of Hobsons choice but lets hope this years loanees have a better impact both on and off the pitch.