Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football over valued

There has to be some kind of pub quiz question involved in this but.. was the match between West Brom and West ham the first game in at least 20 years where the teams were not kit sponsored?

If the likes of major international investment bank are going to the wall, are we going to see a similar market enforced re-valuation in football?

We've seen our fair share of sponsors go to the wall (Allsports) but could AIG be next?

Comments

• Casualties are inevitable VFR.The game as it is today isn't sustainable in the long term.....it could all end in tears with an almighty bang but more likely it will be a slow dripping tap scenario.
  • I just wonder, how far can this go? It seems to me that it's service industries that are being affected and how long has it been since a team in the top flight has gone without kit sponsorship? Let alone two teams? And if the market continues in the same vein, AIG could be next.
  • Proves how hard people at the Valley worked to get a sponsor on our shirts and to get as much money as they did.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Proves how hard people at the Valley worked to get a sponsor on our shirts and to get as much money as they did.

They were labelled as lazy and/or incompetent by a few on here and elsewhere a few months ago. :- (

The silence from those few in light of what is happening is deafening.

Seems that the relationship with JD is going well what with them backing the street violence campaign. I'm sure the more they see of the club the more they will like it and the more they will get involved.

We've already got the shirts in local shops and there is bound to be potential for many other link ups and spin offs from working with a major retailer with so many prominent sites.
  • The last game I can remember involving us with neither side having a sponsor on the Shirt was against Palace in 93. This was when we went about a year and a half without a sponsor between The Woolwich and Viglen.
  • Manchester Utd might be losing their sponsor too...
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]The last game I can remember involving us with neither side having a sponsor on the Shirt was against Palace in 93. This was when we went about a year and a half without a sponsor between The Woolwich and Viglen.

I seem to remember we just signed Viglen as a sponsor on our return to the Valley, ie 5th December 1992 (which is as near as dammit 1993), with the irony that the Woolwich had ceased their sponsorship at the end of the previous season, citing among other things that Charlton weren't playing in the Woolwich area.
  • Sorry to be pedantic BFR but Viglen were not shirt sponsors until November 93. For the first game back at The Valley we had no shirt sponsor.
  • edited September 2008
    Or did we just have new kits then for the first game back?
  • We had new kits for the return, no sponsor though. Viglen appeared out of the blue when we played Luton Town for a live match on ITV one Sunday lunchtime.
  • Sponsored links:

• weve got a sponser you aint