Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Job dilema

I have a safe job earn ok money with some good perks car fuel etc, some excellent charlton perks due to the fizzy pop company that get me in the box and free tickets

but today was offered a job for more money a fair bit more, new direction but would have to travel to northampton daily really dont know what to do any advice

Comments

• Options
    i would stay were you are

Things so unpredictable out there
  • Options
    I know that is a real concern for me especially as i have a good work life balance but the money is way more than i can earn and the only way i could match it is to be an arse licker and still it may not come, real fecking quandry
  • Options
    Sounds good but what do you go to work for?

What are the three things you most want out of your work? Easy to say money, money and more money but no one wants just money. We want what it can buy us or maybe we want some things we don't.

What do you want most out of your work and your life? Status, success, recognition, free time, etc, etc. When you've decided that you'll now which job to take.

If you can afford a business coach you have my email.
  • Options
    Toss a coin. When it lands you'll know if that feels like the right decision or not.
  • Options
    cheers henners, i am going to book a days hols and go and have a look and a chat with the MD and see what the lay of the land is
  • Options
    The M1 will make your life a misery, unless you'll be earning stupid money or are willing to relocate I'd stay put. Money isn't everything and the grass is rarely as green on the other side as you think.
  • Options
    thats where i am at the mo but the money could be the diffrence between the wife having to work the stoopid shifts she does now, believe me this one has got me bad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]thats where i am at the mo but the money could be the diffrence between the wife having to work the stoopid shifts she does now, believe me this one has got me bad

Write down the pros and cons and see how they even out - sometimes helps when you really can't decide
  • Options
    never been in this position before which doesnt help i have been in the same job 15 years and i really didnt do to well at school so i never really thought i would get these sort of offers
  • Options
    How solid is the new company? Coke may not pay as much, but I'd've thought they're unlikely to be hit hard by everything that's going-on finance-wise at the moment...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    things are not too bad but coke do have a habit of reshuffling every couple of years and we are at that point if i got offered redundancy it would be a no brainer for me, the other company are quite big and doing ok and have been growing since i have been dealing with them in the last 4 years
  • Options
    I'll echo vancouver;s advice - write the pros and cons down - how much extra travel is involved, do you like your current job, are you happy etc, would you welcome a different challenge etc?

Would you consider moving closer to cut the commuting down?

Don't make a snap decision think over it for a day or so.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i will take a good while to think, i know they want me due to meeting i had with them today, relocation is a no no my little fella is in the best school around and i dont think the travel would too much of a concern as i do a lot of on road stuff at the moment so driving wouldnt be too bad plus the offer comes with a shiney new beema
  • Options
    I'd be inclined to take the job if the travel isn't a problem.

But if you don't need to make a decision just yet, do a bit of research on the company, check that everything is legit and they are sound. Also if you hand your notice in - will your current employer offer you a better job/pay rise to stay? It might just be worth handing your notice in to see what happens there.
  • Options
    true bfr never thought of that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]I'd be inclined to take the job if the travel isn't a problem.

But if you don't need to make a decision just yet, do a bit of research on the company, check that everything is legit and they are sound. Also if you hand your notice in - will your current employer offer you a better job/pay rise to stay? It might just be worth handing your notice in to see what happens there.

It might be worthwhile mentioning that you've been offered another job and see what reaction you get, rather than handing in your notice.
  • Options
    will do VM
  • Options
    I am/was in a similar situation.

I have a good job ok money and great atmosphere.

I was offered another £5k a year to go to another company in an industry i had previously worked.

I turned it down, I am unsure if that was the best idea but the industry would bore me to death.

Make sure you research everything you can before you make any hasty decisions and VM has a great point!

Cheers
    Darrel
  • Options
    NLA,

Go For IT!

I have moved to kuwait, been here 1 month and loving it. ( I know its a bit different). I only really miss the beer, my wife and son (joining me in a month or 2) and CAFC live.

The job is roughly the same but i have huge targets and for a start up company it will be hard, but if all goes well i will be compensated very well indeed.

On top of that, my car is a Hummer H3 and petrol is 14p a litre
  • Options
    A hummer that takes the mick draining all our resorces for a minimal cost to you! If you all drove 1.1 corsa's over there we might all be able to afford fuel here!

Rant over, sounds good though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Toss a coin. When it lands you'll know if that feels like the right decision or not.[/quote]

I would agree with this approach it sounds a flippant (joke) thing to do but, you can consider pro's and con's and be quite logical in your decision making process but gut reaction is the true indicator and only you can say what is the right decision for you. Personally i think that the fact that you have to consider it means the answer should be no. However, it may be worth talking to current boss (if you feel able) to discuss additional opportunities or challenges and maybe increased pay at your current role.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    '
  • Options
    Place the job offer prominently on your desk and have one of your mates summon the office gossip to deliver something to you, preferably awaiting a reply that will have him/her spend some moments with you. Hopefully it won't take long to get to your bosses and if they don't come up with a counter offer, you can always deny everything.
  • Options
    i wish coke worked like that unfortunatly for me coke let a lot of good and better people than me slip through the net without trying to sound bigheaded
  • Options
    I'd love to work for a world wide company like CocaCola whats the starter salary? Maybe i can start applying for your job now ;oP
  • Options
    i aint left yet bud but if and when i do i will put there job link on here, it is a great company to work for but being there 15yrs sometimes a change may be as good as rest
  • Options
    I know an accountant that works for Coke in Slough. He's a bit of a dick tho. If you work with him, I'd move ;-)
  • Options
    ha ha it was only a joke i probably live too far for the commute anyway.

In my honest opinion, I believe that what you just said should help you decide look at it...

[quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]it is a great company to work for but being there 15yrs sometimes a change may be as good as rest[/quote]

If it is a great company maybe even if you were to leave they would welcome you back if you did choose to return. This happened at my last job, a girl left amd went back and actually got a better salary to return on!

Good luck in whatever it is you choose to do!