Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray - leading goalscorer

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Andy Gray scores again tonight - 4 goals in 6 matches.

Okay 2 pens, but at least he puts them away.

2 goals from open play, providing you get the ball to him. Make sure he gets a service, Pards?

My Plymouth Argyle supporting mate has got him in his Dream Team ..... on my advice, lol.
Wanted to know if he'd get 15 this season ? I said, yeah .......10 goals from open play and 5 pens.

There you go Greenie mate Nige - only 11 more goals to go!

:o)

Comments

• Options
    about time people give the geezer a bit of credit - without service he won't score
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]about time people give the geezer a bit of credit - without service he won't score

amen to that ledge
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]without service he won't score

Noooooo...Really? LOL!

True though, very good player...About time he started knocking them in.
  • Options
    Whoever sponsored his shirt this season will be happy.

Anyone got any idea who it was?
  • Options
    LOL, Henry!

:o)
  • Options
    there will be a fight for that table come the season end
  • Options
    The lad needs service, give him that and he'll get goals. Particularly crosses and set pieces. There's not a great deal of difference between him and Hunt imo, just the quality of midfield playing behind him, particularly out wide.
  • Options
    4 goals from set pieces.
  • Options
    Think of all the set pieces last year, that we didn't score from .......

So all his goals are from set pieces, how bad is that?
    Until he gets provided with a service, then set pieces are all he can score from.

We can't knock him for that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Think of all the set pieces last year, that we didn't score from .......

So all his goals are from set pieces, how bad is that?
    Until he gets provided with a service, then set pieces are all he can score from.

We can't knock him for that.

Nearly broke the cross bar with that not-offside header against Reading. Give him some more crosses like that and he'll easily break 15 if not 20 for the season. Just need to get Varney firing and someone from midfield to chip in and we're away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always useful to be able to score from a set piece.

Sometimes they are the only chances you get...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Always useful to be able to score from a set piece.

Sometimes they are the only chances you get...

Also we are scoring early goals, rather than only waking up in the second half like we are used to
  • Options
    when will fans give him the recognition he deserves the guy is proven goalscorer in this league
  • Options
    needed time,class act.
  • Options
    To be fair service has and will always be our problem!

We create nothing from open play for our strikers goals always come from Corners, free kicks or Penalties. TBH if we win I dont care!
  • Options
    I think that Gray's importance to the team will become even more apparent when we have the likes of Ambrose and ZZ back in the side.
  • Options
    exactly BDL
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]I think that Gray's importance to the team will become even more apparent when we have the likes of Ambrose and ZZ back in the side.[/quote]

Who would they both be replacing?
  • Options
    that last comment relates to this season and last!
  • Options
    ZZ for Holland
    Ambrose for Sam

ZZ and Bailey can run forwards and backwards all day and all night and are good defensively (ZZ was a CB) and going forward Bailey will drive with Power and ZZ with some craft linking up with the strikers.

Ambrose is the best provider in the current squad in terms of assists (and goals). And thats...

FACT!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Holland and Sam/Bouazza.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: tommo[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]I think that Gray's importance to the team will become even more apparent when we have the likes of Ambrose and ZZ back in the side.[/quote]

Who would they both be replacing?[/quote]

What WSS said!
  • Options
    I went with Maglor and we were laughing at the Donny annoucer who mentioned each of their players sponsor when they were subbed, both the player going off and the one coming on. We were hoping that Gray would be subbed near the end and replaced by Jonjo and were planning to make our own announcement

"Replacing Andy Gray - sponsored by charltonlife.com - Jonjo Shelvey - sponsored by charltonl
    ife.com". Unfortunately Pards didn't oblige.

Also some wag behind me speculated that if this was done at the Valley, you'd get "replacing Matt Holland -sponsored by Age Concern......"
  • Options
    i rate gray, you cant moan at somebody for tucking set piece opportunities away! after all...we wouldnt have won last night without that ability would we?!!!Early signs looks like Varney will maybe hover around the ten goal mark this year, i really rate the bloke and his workrate, but i just cant honestly say i have the faith in him to bag 20+ (i hope im wrong!), however, if those 2 can get 30-35 between them we should be ok. If we win at Forest i have as down as 1 point behind where i want our schedule to be!
  • Options
    Also some wag behind me speculated that if this was done at the Valley, you'd get "replacing Matt Holland -sponsored by Age Concern......"[/quote]

Mate of mine said sponsored by Help The Aged, about young Mr Holland, though i did think the coach i was on y/day should have been sponsored by Saga. :-)
  • Options
    I posted this on the 'best combination' thread ...... but it equally belongs here:

"Well, bald statistics can mean anything that you want to make from them.

So Gray has scored 88 goals in 314 starts - but what that doesn't tell you is that he played all but his last few seasons in midfield. Since he was switched to striker a few seasons ago, he scored 25 goals in 58 appearances for Sheff Utd and 25 goals in 60 appearances for Burnley.

That equates to roughly a 20 goals a season man - or is that not prolific enough for you?

He might have only scored twice for Charlton last season - but he still finished on 15 goals.
    Respectable enough for a striker."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]ZZ for Holland
    Ambrose for Sam

ZZ and Bailey can run forwards and backwards all day and all night and are good defensively (ZZ was a CB) and going forward Bailey will drive with Power and ZZ with some craft linking up with the strikers.

Ambrose is the best provider in the current squad in terms of assists (and goals). And thats...

FACT!
    Completely agree with this.

As for Gray I rate him above Varney tbh.