Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Donny v Charlton- post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I wasn't happy when we beat Swansea 2-0 as we didn't play well.
    I wasn't happy when we lost to Wolves where we played ok but lost to a better team on the day.
    I wasn't happy when we beat Donny 1-0 as they were so much better than us.
    I'm not happy when we outplay teams and don't win, as that shows we are not ruthless enough.
    I was reasonably happy when we beat Reading, although we really didn't defend well and could easilly have lost.

Summary. I am only happy when we completely outplay teams, score lots of goals and keep a clean sheet without giving the opposition a sniff. Therefore, I am almost never be happy, for I have completely unrealistic expectations.

In my personal life, I am on a low income/benefit, but I "deserve" to go on nice holidays and have nice things, without saving for them. Also, it's my bank's fault that I am now £250,000 in debt on credit cards and that my house - secured on a 850% mortgage - is in danger of repossession. Not that it will be repossessed of course - my legal aid barrister will see to that.

I am a dreamer.

Best post on here for ages!!!
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I am only happy when we completely outplay teams, score lots of goals and keep a clean sheet without giving the opposition a sniff. Therefore, I am almost never be happy, for I have completely unrealistic expectations.
    I am a dreamer.

is this a quote from alan curbishley taking the piss out of the deluded followers of Charlton Athletic after he'd achieved midtable safety in the premiership for the umpteenth time!!
  • Options
    it wouldn't be too bad if we were to go down another division,as we might be able to dominate some of the sides down there and it might be more exciting for us...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I wasn't happy when we beat Swansea 2-0 as we didn't play well.
    I wasn't happy when we lost to Wolves where we played ok but lost to a better team on the day.
    I wasn't happy when we beat Donny 1-0 as they were so much better than us.
    I'm not happy when we outplay teams and don't win, as that shows we are not ruthless enough.
    I was reasonably happy when we beat Reading, although we really didn't defend well and could easilly have lost.

Summary. I am only happy when we completely outplay teams, score lots of goals and keep a clean sheet without giving the opposition a sniff. Therefore, I am almost never be happy, for I have completely unrealistic expectations.

In my personal life, I am on a low income/benefit, but I "deserve" to go on nice holidays and have nice things, without saving for them. Also, it's my bank's fault that I am now £250,000 in debt on credit cards and that my house - secured on a 850% mortgage - is in danger of repossession. Not that it will be repossessed of course - my legal aid barrister will see to that.

I am a dreamer.

The 2008 winner of the GASP. Global Award for Sarcastic Postings

Superb
  • Options
    Can I just say both Robbo on the wing and I went last night so did a few others,we didn't think we played well that is what we thought,others thought we toughed it out and were pleased with the performance,frankly i wasn't having forked out quite a bit of dough and expected more,however as I said these are our opinions so don't keep feckin diggin people out who AT LEAST WENT.I respect Bing's point of view and beg to differ but I ain't diggin him out.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]lol

Oi! Were is the sarcasm yellow card for Off It or is it allowed now? : - )

Top post Off It.
  • Options
    To be honest BingAddicks posts are the only one's that I am reading on here because he went & I respect his point of view. I saw it a little differently to him but hey ho. For the record there were some excellent individual performances last night, but I thought as a team we passed the ball terribly until we made a few changes near the end & Donny seemed to have run out of ideas. Donny should have been awarded a penalty for a Handball near the end which everyone seems to have missed. Last night we got the breaks in & around the box, they did not. I have no doubt we'll play better & lose this season. I am getting a bit tired of some of the sarcastic comments as well now which seem to be coming from the people who did not go by the way.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I am only happy when we completely outplay teams, score lots of goals and keep a clean sheet without giving the opposition a sniff. Therefore, I am almost never be happy, for I have completely unrealistic expectations.
    I am a dreamer.[/quote]

is this a quote from alan curbishley taking the piss out of the deluded followers of Charlton Athletic after he'd achieved midtable safety in the premiership for the umpteenth time!![/quote]

Must you hijack every post with your ramblings on Curbishley?

Yes he was great but he's gone. Seriously now, It's time to move on!
  • Options
    Sounds to me as though we 'Did a job', which in most cases on a rainy Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday night away from home we never seem to pull off!!

Unfortunatley it also sounds like one of the more potent teams in the leage who are able of scoring more goals would have come away with at least a point??

All in all we have to be pleased as we can all agree we are not the best team at defending leads!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For someone that was there, was Ambrose on the Bench?

I saw somwhere that Sam went of for Basey again, with Boo moving to the right when bringing on Ambrose would seem to have made more sense.

Just wondering if that decision made more sense in the context of last nights game or is it a sign that Pardew isn't an Ambrose fan at the moment.
  • Options
    Ambrose wasn't on the bench.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ambrose wasn't on the bench.[/quote]

Fair enough, seems a bit strange though.
  • Options
    I answered a question.

But I will say Off it's post is top quality
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Ambrose wasn't on the bench.

Fair enough, seems a bit strange though.

maybe not fully fit

maybe Pardew doesn't think he's the player for a wet night in Donny

maybe Pardew doesn't think he's a player for us full stop.

We shall see at Forest and after.
  • Options
    well I went, with Golfie, and in my opinion :

we were poor, couldn't keep the ball, kept giving it away when we had it, scored from the only effort on target. Plus points were Weaver and Hudson who were outstanding although Fortune wasn't far behind. Cranie had a better game, excellant tackle early on otherwise would have been a goal down. Youga, a normal day at the office ! Midfield was overrun in the first half, was better second half when Bouzza and Sam got more involved. Holland gave 100% as normal but is that enough ? ZZ will surely replace him soon. Bailey ok. Sam and Bouzza generally ineffective. Gray, under-rated imo, worked hard but got no service save the obvious one. 4 in six games feeding off scraps is pretty good. Varney, uhm. Like the guy but had a couple of efforts where he couldn't even get them on target and snatched at them, and didn't gamble on a good cross shot from Sam that he should have finished off. If we had another striker available his days would be numbered (Dickson still an unknown quantity, Toddy obviously not fit, maybe McLeod may push him). Wouldn't mind seeing Varney on wide right.

Having said the above, we WON, and I'd rather see a scrappy three points than a fluent, attacking, unlucky defeat. Especailly when I've had to spend the day with GolfAddick !!!
  • Options
    Sharon deserves a place if you ask me we have no other RM that will attempt to take on players even with his low unaccurate crossing and shooting.
  • Options
    I differ with NSS and Ketman only a little to be fair. If you read my initial post I did say that Donny were an excellent passing team who put us under sustained pressure. I remarked to Maglor three quarters through the first half that we should count the number Donny players on the pitch because it seemed like they had more than we did. That was as much down to their tactics and play and it was to ours. We did keep giving it back to them but they had us on the backfoot and the slippery conditions added to our general tendancy to defend too deeply. I also felt in answer to somebodys earlier point that the pitch conditions had deteriorated in the first half and our players seemed to be wearing the wrong studs.

I felt that we played with more assurance in the second half. It wasn't perfect and Donny still kept the ball better than we did but it was much more even and certainly in terms of chances we created much more.

I suppose it's the old half-full, half empty scenario and I just tend to be the former.
  • Options
    IMO

The glass is half full when you have poured into it (put effort in to make it) {Matt Holland, Nicky Bailey, Mark Hudson, Nicky Weaver}
    The Glass is half empty when you have drank/poured/thrown away some. (low effort didnt bother to put the effort in to make it yourself) {Marcus Bent, Jerome Thomas, Ben Thatcher, Amdy Faye}

Ok so i'm probably talking a load of old bull right now.... So to summarise:

With the players we have now we should all be seeing the glass as half full as we have players who want to make themselves a success through their playing of the game!
  • Options
    This is why football is the best game in the world - no other sport can you dominate like it sounds Donny did last night - and still lose!

It's not often we do that to a team and hang on so I am happy

Glad Weaver had a good one - I have been quick to knock him in the past but he is looking quite assured this year.
    Hudson looks like he's been playing for us for years
    Bailey is just what we have been missing and will only get better I think

Happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good Times
  • Options
    We won against a side that will be back in league one this time next year.

Not going to get excited in the same way that I am not going to slit my wrists after losing to Wolves.

Back five looked solid, Bailey played well and Gray got another goal. Still a dilemma up front for me as Varney misses too many chances that Dicko might convert yet will probably put in 200% more effort than him.
  • Options
    Thought it was one of the worst winning performances ive seen from anybody but was impressed by the players reaction at the end has Doncaster got the biggest pubs in the country every one we went in was like a cavern. Top curry to round the night off helped looking forward to Nottingham on saturday top pub called the vat and fiddle about a minute from the station if any one is interested
  • Options
    just got back.
    have read ketmans, bings and nss take on it and kets is (imo) the most accurate.
    have to say we had the rub of the green re their penalty claim.
    also disagree with southendaddick saying donny will be back in league 1 next year.
  • Options
    Blimey PBS you had a long drive :)

They are another Southend, Scunthorpe... in my opinion, havent got enough quality, wont score enough goals, not in the class of Swansea for example.

Them and Blackpool are certs in my opinion.
  • Options
    Donny played very well, they passing on the floor at times cut us to peices.
    At times we looked like a Sunday morning team who only had 6 players and had to look around for the other 5. It seemed that we didn't know how to play and who to pass to.

Still a win, is a win, is a win.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]well I went, with Golfie, and in my opinion :

we were poor, couldn't keep the ball, kept giving it away when we had it, scored from the only effort on target. Plus points were Weaver and Hudson who were outstanding although Fortune wasn't far behind. Cranie had a better game, excellant tackle early on otherwise would have been a goal down. Youga, a normal day at the office ! Midfield was overrun in the first half, was better second half when Bouzza and Sam got more involved. Holland gave 100% as normal but is that enough ? ZZ will surely replace him soon. Bailey ok. Sam and Bouzza generally ineffective. Gray, under-rated imo, worked hard but got no service save the obvious one. 4 in six games feeding off scraps is pretty good. Varney, uhm. Like the guy but had a couple of efforts where he couldn't even get them on target and snatched at them, and didn't gamble on a good cross shot from Sam that he should have finished off. If we had another striker available his days would be numbered (Dickson still an unknown quantity, Toddy obviously not fit, maybe McLeod may push him). Wouldn't mind seeing Varney on wide right.

Having said the above, we WON, and I'd rather see a scrappy three points than a fluent, attacking, unlucky defeat. Especailly when I've had to spend the day with GolfAddick !!!

LA, if you put your report alongside mine, with the exception of your (not invalid) criticism of Varney, other than my conclusion which was "not the best performance" and yours which was "poor", there's nothing between us. Maybe my training as a spin doctor came too much to the fore!!...:o)
  • Options
    "sorry one other positive Cranie's clearance in the 1st minute was the best goalsaving tackle I think i have ever seen it was quality."

What about Phil getting his stereo back working. Tell him my bill is in the post!
  • Options
    the problem being for those that didnt go is that the only way we knew we had the ball was by the radio silence on the link, but i think on the match thread we all agreed we were being murdered, coppinger seemed to be doing a keogh but with out the final result of his passing or shooting ending in a goal,

i would agree that we must have been poor offensivley however we also must have been quite good defensivley as we managed not to concede, lets not forget that donny are punching well above their weight as blackpool last year so it was not going to be an easy fixture like most of us hoped.

i just love the fact that nss was distraught with the performance because he tells it how it is my joy came from knowing that the journey home was going to be one of we are shit and not going to do much even after 3 points and ONLY because i am sadistic and would have given anything to have been there to view it.

big respect to anyone who goes away games midweek it would only have been made better if mcleod had played just to rile him a bit more
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I didn't go but nicking a goal early on then being overrun for the rest of the game (if true) is hardly a great tactic is it? Pretty much what happened on Saturday, any team 9/10 times if allowed to do this will score at least a couple against us. I can't quite work out what is going wrong there tho.

Having said that we got three points away from home, and a clean sheet so perhaps this will build some confidence.