Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was JT's Sending Off any different to Kelly Youga's?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
i.e. did we have a player level at the time?

Comments

• Options
    of course it was JT plays for Chelsea therfor it was never a red card.
  • Options
    it wasn't though that's the point.

Halsey ballsed it up they appealed and rightly won that appeal. We never appealed Youga's did w e?
  • Options
    Is it right that Halsey put it through as violent conduct rather than denying a goal scoring opportunity, 3 match ban vs 1 match ban. I notice the card wasn't recinded but the suspension was.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]i.e. did we have a player level at the time?

Terry wasn't sent of for being the last man, he was sent off for violent conduct.

According to the papers the morning Halsey was asked to recind the decision and refused so has now been demoted to a league 2 game at the weekend.
  • Options
    Perhaps we didn't appeal 'cos we knew the outcome.
  • Options
    It amazed me that the pundits were citing the non sending off in the Liverpool v Man U game as a reason why John Terry shouldn't have been sent off, when surely the proper answer is that the both should have gone.

It also staggers me that people want to try and use this "last man/man covering" argument when a guy makes no attempt to play the ball and effectively launches a rugby tackle. If that isn't "serious foul play" - a straight red - then I don't know what is, covering man or no covering man.

However, once again the FA have backed down when facing one of the Big Boys. If it was Luton who appealed they probably would've deducted another 10 points from the poor buggers!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Or doubled the suspension for a frivolous appeal like they did with Osei Sankofa.
  • Options
    Thing is though is what Terry did worthy of the same punishment as the newcastle/hull incident which resulted in the hull player getting a broken leg.

The fact that the newcastle bloke only got a 3 game ban is a much bigger disgrace than Terry getting off with what imo was no more that a yellow card offence.
  • Options
    I think i'm right in saying, and i'm sure Ledge will be able to correct me, is nowhere in the rules is there anything about 'last man' the actual offence is preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity, which is at the opinion of the referee. The last man is nothing more than hot air dreamed up by pundits, to justify their bad suits in front of the cameras.

Check out the excellent Ref365 for a run down...http://www.football365.com/referee365/0,17033,8747_4154350,00.html
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]I think i'm right in saying, and i'm sure Ledge will be able to correct me, is nowhere in the rules is there anything about 'last man' the actual offence is preventing an obvious goal scoring opportunity, which is at the opinion of the referee. The last man is nothing more than hot air dreamed up by pundits, to justify their bad suits in front of the cameras.
    Thats what i'm led to believe also.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not all laws are based on exact written text but more an understanding or interpertation of the rules into real life.
  • Options
    He should have been sent off for a professional foul. Doesn't matter if there was another player or not, he deliberately hauled the player down to stop him breaking clear. He obviously didn't know there was cover, so he was trying to professionally foul the player (unless there's a new rule whereby it's possible to rugby tackle a player and win the ball fairly).

To use a rather extreme analogy, it's like me claiming an offense should be downgraded from attempted murder to GBH because there's a hospital round the corner and they probably would have saved the victim.

We should be looking at what Terry did and was trying to do, not what other player who may or may not have done.

The comment about the newcastle player is a red herring to a certain extent. Just because the FA are unwilling or unable to punish him correctly has absolutely no bearing on how JT should be treated.
  • Options
    And what has happened to the 'respect' for refs agenda? Terry refusing to leave the pitch, Chelsea players around the ref. Maybe respect was only for the first week of the season, or maybe it doesn't apply to some teams or the England captain.