Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holland or ZZ?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Who would you rather play in the middle? I would also like to see Amrose out on the right or behind the front two. We have some good optoins in the midfield now.

Comments

• Options
    Ambrose is much more effective through the middle off either a front pairing or even lone striker as part of the midfield five - no doubt about that in my opinion.

I'd like to see ZZ back in midfield as soon as he's fit as I'm very much in the pro-ZZ camp and see him as a cut above most of the players in this division.
  • Options
    Holland would the first midfielder on my team sheet even before Bailey. Before I get shouted down yes, I was at Doncaster, therefore allowed an opinion.
  • Options
    I think we should start ZZ or Shelvey as a partner to Bailey and see if it works better than Holland there.
  • Options
    Holland EVERY SINGLE TIME.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Shelvey? Was in many people's preferred teams at the start of the season.

Also Racon to come back plus Semedo.

And can't agree with you Brunello on Holland. ZZ and Bailey for me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Whatever happened to Shelvey? Was in many people's preferred teams at the start of the season.

Also Racon to come back plus Semedo.

And can't agree with you Brunello on Holland. ZZ and Bailey for me.

Thats football, its all about opinions and I respect yours (on football).
  • Options
    we have a squad. There is a time for Holland as is there a time for ZZ or Shelvey or Bailey. We have to hope Pards picks the right combo for the right games. IMO Ambrose can't play as part of a midfield pair as he doesn't do enough. Just behind the striker in a midfield five is his best position and maybe that is an option with Varney misfiring. For what it's worth I'd pair ZZ, If fit, with Bailey at Forest.
  • Options
    Considering the role will be attacking midfielder, you'd have to be mad to take Matty over ZZ. Don't get me wrong, I do love the bloke, but he's an ineffective attacking player.
  • Options
    No brainer ZZ
  • Options
    Holland, he's dependable. ZZ is erratic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All things being equal Bailey and ZZ for me to start but as Large rightly says it is a squad game and Holland, Shelvey and others have a role to play.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]No brainer ZZ[/quote]

Agreed. there's no comparison.

The days when Holland would get 9-10 goals from midfield are long gone.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I really would be interested as to know why someone would pick Holland over ZZ. To me that makes no sense.
  • Options
    I'd like to see us play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Weaver

Cranie (or Moo2), Forts, Rock, Youga

Varney, ZZ, Holland, Bailey, Bouazza

Gray
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd like to see us play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Weaver

Gray

In a 5 I'd pick Ambrose ahead of Holland as his lightweight qualities shouldn't be so exposed and he can have licence to support the main striker.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd like to see us play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Weaver

Gray

I like that. Especially away from home. Thought when basey came on last night and made a middle three with varney on the right we looked a stronger team than the 75 minutes previous.
  • Options
    Agreed. Varney on the right .... played there, he's the most effective winger we've got, straight out of the Mike Kenning mould - fast, direct, can cross, run with the ball and shoot, even if he doesn't always hit the target.

Leave Gray up front to hold the ball up, lay off and keep the centrebacks busy.

And add Dicko to the fray without taking Varney or Gray off - and give him at least 25 mins to make an impression.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]No brainer ZZ

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I really would be interested as to know why someone would pick Holland over ZZ. To me that makes no sense.

He was our player of the season last season. He was not just a little bit, but considerably better than ZZ last year. Sure, he's getting on a bit but I honesty don't believe he has deteriorated as much as people claim in a single summer. It's interesting to note that the knives were out for MH before a ball was kicked this year.

As for ZZ, I still think he's over-rated. He's lightweight and he doesn't always put away his chances (granted that is probably the single biggest criticism of Holland). Sure he sometimes puts in a good performance, but the consistency just isn't there. There is also the question of captaincy and team development. Holland is ideal for bringing Shelvey on and for being a calming influence on the pitch.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I'd like to see us play 4-3-3/4-5-1

Weaver

Gray[/quote]

In a 5 I'd pick Ambrose ahead of Holland as his lightweight qualities shouldn't be so exposed and he can have licence to support the main striker.[/quote]

I'm with Len on this. If we go for an extra man in midfield then I'd pick Ambrose as he brings more to the side in goal threat.
  • Options
    i would love to see shelvey in with bailey and zz just behind gray just my opinion but i would be rotating holland with jon jo
  • Options
    Holland is dependable.

We can depend on him if we want to finish 12th.

If we have any aspirations to finish in the top 6 then we have to play ZZ and Ambrose ahead of Holland.
    Same applies to Racon when fit and hopefully Shelvey if he progresses.

If we want to play a 5 man midfield, then Semedo could be a good option for the anchor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]No brainer ZZ[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I really would be interested as to know why someone would pick Holland over ZZ. To me that makes no sense.[/quote]

He was our player of the season last season. He was not just a little bit, but considerably better than ZZ last year. Sure, he's getting on a bit but I honesty don't believe he has deteriorated as much as people claim in a single summer. It's interesting to note that the knives were out for MH before a ball was kicked this year.

As for ZZ, I still think he's over-rated. He's lightweight and he doesn't always put away his chances (granted that is probably the single biggest criticism of Holland). Sure he sometimes puts in a good performance, but the consistency just isn't there. There is also the question of captaincy and team development. Holland is ideal for bringing Shelvey on and for being a calming influence on the pitch.[/quote]

mate, you're barmy

everyone's entitled to their opinion but to say Holland was considerably better than ZZ is insane

ZZ was quality before Xmas and it was only when all the travelling kicked it after the New Year ad his lack of experience playing the long, gruelling English season took its toll that he faded-
    Holland couldn't get a look-in in the first three months of the season when we were in and around the top six and going well.

ZZ has scored nine goals in 41 games for the club of which a fair few were in the Premiership. How many did Holland score last season?

the only reason he got POTY was because he's clearly a nice likeable guy and an honest pro and frankly who else would you have voted for????
  • Options
    ZZ by a country mile. Old Captain Cleanshorts is back up only these days in my eyes.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]No brainer ZZ[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I really would be interested as to know why someone would pick Holland over ZZ. To me that makes no sense.[/quote]

As for ZZ, I still think he's over-rated. He's lightweight and he doesn't always put away his chances (granted that is probably the single biggest criticism of Holland). Sure he sometimes puts in a good performance, but the consistency just isn't there. There is also the question of captaincy and team development. Holland is ideal for bringing Shelvey on and for being a calming influence on the pitch.[/quote]

mate, you're barmy

everyone's entitled to their opinion but to say Holland was considerably better than ZZ is insane

ZZ was quality before Xmas and it was only when all the travelling kicked it after the New Year ad his lack of experience playing the long, gruelling English season took its toll that he faded-
    Holland couldn't get a look-in in the first three months of the season when we were in and around the top six and going well.

ZZ has scored nine goals in 41 games for the club of which a fair few were in the Premiership. How many did Holland score last season?

the only reason he got POTY was because he's clearly a nice likeable guy and an honest pro and frankly who else would you have voted for????[/quote]

What KA said.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite] frankly who else would you have voted for????

Great question. The answer certainly wasn't ZZ was it?
  • Options
    Holand is by no way over rated he is dependable and solid he has just got older but still goes and goes like a duracel battery
  • Options
    I'm a ZZ fan, on his day he is our top player. I'd always start with him, then use the subs to make changes if required. As for the holding middle player, once fit Racon is by far our best prospect and I'm sure given the chance will become a star and CAFC legend.
  • Options
    Still, according to the OS/Pards, we played 4-5-1 last night - apparently?????
  • Options
    Has to be ZZ...can score goals from midfield and links well. Great to have Matty on the bench, but ZZ has to start in precedence.
  • Options
    ZZ is okay on the ball but he's crap in the tackle. Off the ball he relies too heavily on looking for a pass rather than trying to win it. Holland on the other hand is great at mixing it up but is defensively minded. Overall I would pick Holland over ZZ anyday.

Holland is Charlton through and through where I would question ZZ's motives, he seems more interested in his career than in Charlton.

I'd rather we sold him at a loss, he'll walk out on us at the drop of a hat anyway.
  • Options
    Most of last season Holland ticked more boxes than any other midfielder, tackles a bit, closes down pretty well, shoots ok from the edge and has a decent engine. In a team of misfiring players he was mr reliable. This season we've signed a player who does all of the above far better so why pair him with an inferior imitation? ZZ or Ambrose with Bailey for me .