Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

He baffles me again!

WSSWSS
edited September 2008 in General Charlton
"We made a conscious decision to concede possession"

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32880&newstype=n

Comments

• Options
    Well it worked WSS - What more do you want ;o)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    He means drop deep and defend with 2 banks of four. Let them have as much of the ball as they like 30yrds from goal but restrict them to long shots and make it hard for them to open clear chances. Sometimes when you go closing down and chasing the ball you lose your shape and leaves gaps which passing sides can exploit, and Donny sound like a passing side.

This quote baffled me more:

[cite]Pards:[/cite]"Varney had to do all the work and Andy took the glory and usually it's the other way round."

Surely Varney has become renowed for his work rate but its been Gray bagging the goals?
  • Options
    Very true, does make me laugh though. It reads like that if we had the ball we gave it back to them though don't you think?

Rather than, "when Doncaster were in possession we let them attack us confident that we could pick them off and counter attack"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]According to Pards it was 4-5-1 with Varney playing out wide. Was it really Pards? I must confess I didn't spot it, did any body else?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]According to Pards it was 4-5-1 with Varney playing out wide. Was it really Pards? I must confess I didn't spot it, did any body else?

To be fair, its not Pards that says that but the correspondant. In the pre-match blurb on the OS it said Varney was playing in an advanced midfield role, surprised he didn't go with Ambrose or Shelvey there and maybe put Varney wide instead of Sam or Boozer.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sure but we are not talking about the News of The World super scoopers, it's the clubs website ffs, surely he would have got that from Pards, wouldn't he?
  • Options
    The OS reports are hardly the most professionally written things though are they? They're probably quotes from last nights press conference that have been written up by someone that wasn't at the game (last nights reports were written by someone different) and who has jumped to the conclusion that Varney was on the wing, seeing as we were playing 4-5-1, which to be fair is what usually happens.
  • Options
    When you play one up front you concede possesion because your forward is not going to cover all their back 4 when we hack it clear. I think this is the point he is trying to make
  • Options
    I hope all the drop Holland he's past it merchants take note
  • Options
    It's either a typo ......or as Exiled says, all about keeping the team shape/discipline defensively rather than a buccaneering attacking open game, where you have plenty of posession but get caught with the sucker punch.

Ask Doncaster Rovers. They'll tell you all about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Keep Matty In the side

a good 4-5-1 in my opinion would be:

----------------------Weaver
    -----Semedo---Fortune--Hudson---Basey
    ---------------------Holland
    Ambrose----Bailey--------Racon--------Bouazza
    ---------------------Varney
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Keep Matty In the side

a good 4-5-1 in my opinion would be:

Weaver
    Semedo Fortune Hudson Basey
    Holland
    Ambrose Bailey Racon Bouazza
    Varney[/quote]

No room for Gray , our TOP scorer ?
  • Options
    He could be switched for Varney, I just think with the service a 4-5-1 could deliver Varns would be able to put em away easier, only other option would be drop sharon and put Varns there!
  • Options
    --------------------Weaver
    Cranie---Fortune--Hudson---Basey
    -------------------Semedo
    --------Bailey ---------------- ZZ
    Ambrose----------------------------Varney
    -------------------Gray
  • Options
    a right footed Varney on the left? why not just put weaver up front and ambrose in goal too?

Right footed wingers playing on the left dont work!

But saying that we had Thomas there for years!
  • Options
    -Weaver-
    Cranie-Fortune-Hudson-Youga
    Varney-Bailey-Holland-Bouazza
    ----------------ZZ------------------
    --------------Gray-----------------
  • Options
    451 you need a striker the holds the ball up and brings other into play. I imagine Gray and Toddy would fit that quite well with Varney being a useful wide right player
  • Options
    Err we did not play 4-5-1 up at Doncaster it was clearly 4-4-2 in the game i was watching. What a load of old Tosh that man speaks.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]-Weaver-
    Cranie-Fortune-Hudson-Youga
    Varney-Bailey-Holland-Bouazza
    ----------------ZZ------------------
    --------------Gray-----------------[/quote]

This could work with zz's powerful heading ability and gray's holding ability.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]451 you need a striker the holds the ball up and brings other into play. I imagine Gray and Toddy would fit that quite well with Varney being a useful wide right player

Gray & Toddy together would be great for a short passing game cutting straight through defences - but for the quick counter, I doubt they'd be enough pace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: T[/cite]451 you need a striker the holds the ball up and brings other into play. I imagine Gray and Toddy would fit that quite well with Varney being a useful wide right player[/quote]

Gray & Toddy together would be great for a short passing game cutting straight through defences - but for the quick counter, I doubt they'd be enough pace.[/quote]

That is a strong point actually and when have we ever had a short passing game to accompany that?

I think Gray and Dickson might also work with Varns out wide.
    There are many possibilities we just need the Pardster to find the best one!
  • Options
    Sure, Varney's a forward but not necessarily a central striker.

He makes a great marauding winger given a free role, running with the ball and dragging defenders out of position and switching with a central striker like Dickson on the break, and feeding off Gray holding the ball up.

I wouldn't mind betting in that role, he'd quite possibly score the same number of goals as he would in a central position and the other 2 forwards would feed off him and score the knock ins that Varns currently doesn't take.
  • Options
    I'm with you on that Oggy
  • Options
    Johnny Robinson, and erm Joe Cole.. (right footed players on the left)
  • Options
    If the way ahead is to give it to the other side, why did we get rid of Kish?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Err we did not play 4-5-1 up at Doncaster it was clearly 4-4-2 in the game i was watching. What a load of old Tosh that man speaks.

Agreed Ketman I said this elsewhere.
  • Options
    definately 4-4-2. Why does Pards keep coming out with this rubbish. Why can't he say 'we were outplayed and gave them too much of the ball but we defended resolutely and at the end of the day three points is what really matters'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]definately 4-4-2. Why does Pards keep coming out with this rubbish. Why can't he say 'we were outplayed and gave them too much of the ball but we defended resolutely and at the end of the day three points is what really matters'.

The perfect summary of Tuesday Nights game, perhaps you should be his PR Man & we would not have to listen to his drivel anymore.