Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Faldo's sandwich order

I've always had a lot of respect for Faldo with his determination and single bloody mindedness, which is why he ended up as Britain's best ever golfer at the pinnacle of his career. However, the Ryder Cup is a team game - where the sum of Europe's togetherness has been enough to defeat the usually on stronger paper, Yanks.

With only one vice captain, I think he's making a mistake - let alone being caught out with his pairings being written down on scraps of paper and seen by the World's media.

In short - I hope we don't lose the Ryder Cup because Faldo's making it all about him - it's a great weekend's entertainment when we see our boys come together and spank the yanks ...

Comments

• Options
    But what sandwich did he order?
  • Options
    The Yanks lose, not because of superior European team spirit but because they can't get their heads around the concept that they should play just this one weekend's golf for fun and the spirit of the game. Tiger Woods went down in my estimation a couple of years ago when he complained about not being paid - and that's despite the game lifting him anonymity to the point where he's one of the richest sportsmen in the world.
  • Options
    Sorry superclive but maybe it's the media that are making it 'all about Faldo' in this instance.....I'm sure the sandwich list saga was a genuine mistake but it's the media that's picked up on it and ran with the story, it's not him setting out to make a story.....I hope to christ we don't lose, otherwise it looks like you've got the knives out for him somewhat already and I'd hate to think what you might be going to say about him over the next week or so.
    I like the fella and always have...what's your problem with him exactly...the tournament hasn't even started yet and your having digs already?
  • Options
    I'm not having a dig - I'm saying I've always held him in the highest regard, yet his single mindedness is great for when it's just you vs the rest in a golf tournament, but during the Ryder Cup its about team bonding and everyone coming together.

We all know Faldo isn't really liked by the players or the media because of how he can come across - I just hope that for Ryder Cup sake, as a Captain, he learns that he needs to make everyone feel apart of a team that can go out and win again...
  • Options
    Faldo is the Geoff Boycott of golf.

Undeniably successful and talented yet resented by some of his peers and predecessors because he doesn't suffer fools gladly or aquiesce to the media.

Hopefully, as has happened throughout his career, his actions will speak louder than his words when the USA get whupped!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok SC....you do have a very valid point re his single mindedness and yes he can seem a bit remote at times....I suppose that could work one way or the other.
    I always got the impression that when he played in the Ryder Cup that you saw another side to him...and certainly where the celebrations (after the victories) were concerned...he always looked and sounded a totaly commited team player.
  • Options
    what fecking sandwich did he order i am more of a chicken and bacon man myself
  • Options
    Oh and I won the US Open on Tiger Woods '09 last night.

Needed a birdie on the 18th to pip Tiger himself and go top in the FedEx rankings. I did it - take that Tiger!

(great game by the way)
  • Options
    Not a massive fan of golf so can someone please explain the fuss about the press discovering his team pairings.
    It's not like the opposition can then decide which tactics to use against them. If a golfer plays well on the day, then you can't do anything about that surely? And the opposition won't know in what order he's sending out the pairings will they?
  • Options
    no the fuss is he has told them all what sandwich's he has ordered them all but no one is tell me what it was and i am fecking hank marving
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheese and Pickle. With Marmite.

And Faldo's okay , he is , afterall , an ex-carpet-fitter !