Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The best thing you've given up?

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
The wicked weed.

Comments

• Options
    smoking
  • Options
    Smoking !!! I started when i was 10 and am now 42 packed up a year ago and not even wanted one its brilliant. Maybe the ex wife is a very close second
  • Options
    Smoking, one of the best things I've ever done.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Booze.

Not had a drop for 13 months.

Never thought in my wildest dreams I could do it, but the irreplaceable things I miss are tiny in number compared to the things I don't! Lost about 2 stone in the first 3 months too!!

Like ANY drug, people react in different ways, and others often can't understand that which makes it harder.

Think I've passed the biggest tests now: Going down the pub with old drinking mates, going on all day-benders with old drinking mates (was fuckin hard - biggest part, them getting used to it, but they do!), going to gigs (used to always get pissed), Meeting a woman you like when before you would've relied on being relaxed by a couple, Going to football (Last Palace Away was weird sober! - good tho!), do's with a completely free bar.....

Never gonna say never but defo not for the forseeable future

*sits down*
  • Options
    LSD
  • Options
    Telling people their babies look beautiful.
  • Options
    Celibacy
  • Options
    smoking for definite -
  • Options
    giving up
  • Options
    Using a hair dryer!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Smoking
  • Options
    Given up thinking Charlton are a decent side...
  • Options
    Boggzy... what made you give up? had it become a problem?
  • Options
    Smoking.

Wifey said "I won't marry you if you smoke"

So I quit - just like that - no drugs, hypnotherapy or patches. Pure willpower

Sometimes I think I will start again later in life as I do miss it occasionally
  • Options
    Fishnets gave up anal sex said it was a pain in the arse oiiiiiiiiiiii oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • Options
    Since I got married, my freedom...
  • Options
    bread....... i've dropped a stone in two months!!
  • Options
    Tobacco......Once i decide to give up i can honestly say i've never had a single pang.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Boggzy... what made you give up? had it become a problem?

I just couldn't just have 2, 3 or 4, I'd get to that point, and it was then RIGHT! Chuck as much down my throat as humanly possible. Which is great if things are going well in life etc, but I had a load of stress on, and just got so bitter (no pun intended) and ended up really alienating myself from some good people. Plus the mental shit the next day (or two) - psychotic hangovers etc!

I actually made a list of all the things (i could remember) that I'd done, the states I'd got into, lucky to be alive sometimes. Looking back now it's frightening!!

Plus was turning into a reet fat b***ard.

Like I say I'll never say never, but if I start having a beer again it'll be when my life is a bit more sorted personally and financially! Then I can drink cos I'm having a good time instead of drinking to try and have a good time against the odds. Like I say tho, cannot just have the one/two/three/four!

Bloodyhell I sound like someone from AA (never been to anything like that) lol!

Still seems weird going to footy sober etc but got completely used to it at the mo!
  • Options
    Good on you Boggzy - Kind of considering doing the same myself - I don't have much self control and the hangovers are becoming terrible

Who am I kinding though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Easy - fags must have saved myself a small fortune over the last 15 years
  • Options
    Smoking

The good news is for all those who have stopped for at least 10 years your risk of having a heart attack or stroke is the same as a life long non smoker and your chance of developing lung cancer has been halved, those are significant health benefits for me however the one thing I hope I have prevented by stopping is COPD/ Emphysema. A wicked irreversible condition primarily caused by smoking not a good way to go.
  • Options
    Doing things that bore me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]I hope I have prevented by stopping is COPD/ Emphysema. A wicked irreversible condition primarily caused by smoking not a good way to go.

I get a lot of calls down here to people with breathing difficulties, mostly caused by COPD/Emphysema and can agree that it's a horrible way to go. However, a lot of them, even with the condition, still wont give up smoking, which always puzzles me
  • Options
    I get a lot of calls down here to people with breathing difficulties, mostly caused by COPD/Emphysema and can agree that it's a horrible way to go. However, a lot of them, even with the condition, still wont give up smoking, which always puzzles me

That's addiction for you. When my brother was being treated for leukaemia at Royal Marsden I used to see many of the lung cancer patients being wheeled outside, attached to drips and with the effects of chemotherapy having wasted them of all but life so they could have a cigarette.
  • Options
    My credibility
  • Options
    I have given up caring what league we are in so long as we don't get a ridiculous ticket hike---oh and smoking I smoked for 4 years and just stopped now i only ever have 1 cigar a year on the 2nd last day of my holiday. Unless it's an Egyptian fruit Shisha Damn i love them!!!!
  • Options
    Yes good on you boogzy.

something im sure some of us briefly consider for a few seconds when feeling rough. I certainly wouldnt like to write that list out of all the things i have done.
  • Options
    drink
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I'm training for a marathon (although not my first), and in the course of trying to prepare was inspired by everyone's posts here and have decided to give up drinking for the foreseeable future. Not a big deal, as it's only been three weeks, but am surprised at how little I miss it...