Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subway stinking food outlet

2»

Comments

• Coronation Chicken is the king of the sandwich IMO
  • edited September 2008
    If you want a non-chain place in redhill-Where I work there is only a place callled Danny's that isn't one of the said companies like Subway, McD or Bk or a full on restaurant!
  • Always found Benjys reasonably cheap
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Why are we obsessed with bloody chains in this country. Most of the people that I work with would rather use Subway, Pret or Eat rather than one of the many nice and infinitely better owner-owned outlets. That said I was very nearly tempted into a Reggae Reggae sub the other day, being a big Levi Roots fan.
    Hear hear...on the topic of non-chains, when in Eltham (the talk of Subway reminded me) try the sandwich shop a the top of Well Hall road, a few doors down from McDs. Was OK when it first opened but even better since it reopened a few months back. Good grub, proper prices - always get my lunch there when I do my bank run.

Only had Subway once after hearing my 19yo nephew going on about it for god knows how long, and I thought it was the biggest pile of man made toss I've ever had the misfortune to eat. Utter rubbish.
  • never had a Sub in the UK but always found them okay in Oz.
  • Try the new bakers - Rhodes - that's just opened up in Greenwich on the one way system.

fantastic bread and great sarnies!
  • edited September 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]never had a Sub in the UK but always found them okay in Oz.[/quote]

Same here, lived on them quite a bit Down Under whilst travelling.
  • Best bakers in the area is the Windmill Bakery at The Green, Welling.

Fantasic cakes (Iced ring doughnut yes please) and the fresh bread is great (also a damn sight cheaper than another well known bakers around).
  • Olny went once, it was horrible. My only surprise was that it was so crowded. Who in their right mind would want to go back?

I'm always highly suspicious of companies the try to subvert the language. WTF is a sub? If you mean a roll say a roll, if you mean French bread say French bread, but don't expect me to join in with your silly names. Its almost as bad a bigmac.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Olny went once, it was horrible. My only surprise was that it was so crowded. Who in their right mind would want to go back?

I'm always highly suspicious of companies the try to subvert the language. WTF is a sub? If you mean a roll say a roll, if you mean French bread say French bread, but don't expect me to join in with your silly names. Its almost as bad a bigmac.

Sub = submarine sandwich - Subway did not coin the term (it is still a yankism though)
  • Sponsored links:

• Actually it's a shame that subway is so poor because if you get a real "submarine" sandwich it's great. If you are ever in Philadelphia then go to a deli and get a "hoagie" (philly name for sub) - Great sandwich
  • Make you right Vancouveraddick, have had a "hoagie" when i was in philly, really nice, Subway is dogfood end of.
  • worst food in the world the look of it makes me sick!someone i know got one of them meatball subs and i remember thinking it looked like dog food let alone the calories
  • What's that your eating in your picture a pizza is it? (i may be wrong on what it is) That's high end of the 100's of calories maybe 700/800.

A Subway Meal Deal has at least 10% less calories than a Mcdonalds Meal! So I'd choose that over a McD's anyday!

a list of just the sandwiches is below so sandwich wise unless you buy the "death burger" or a footlong sub you should be fine!

Subway 6" Calories
    Chicken & Bacon Ranch --489
    Italian BMT™ ---------------429
    Meatball Marinara ---------520
    Spicy Italian ----------------461
    Subway Melt™ --------------351
    Steak & Cheese ------------336
    Tuna -------------------------402
    Veggie Patty™ ---------------414

McDonalds Sandwiches Calories
    Big Mac(tm)-----------------------------------495
    Deli Chicken & Bacon ------------------------550
    Toasted Deli Spicy Veggie-------------------605
    Bacon Cheeseburger -------------------------335
    Chicken McNuggets(tm) (9 pieces)---------390
    Chicken Legend(tm)--------------------------550
    McChicken(tm) Sandwich--------------------380

------------------AND THE DEATH BURGER------------------

Big Tasty(tm)----------------------------------885
  • For your information Dazzler21 its lobster,cant stand pizza and dont really do fast food
  • also i would suggest you look into the fat content as well as the calories just as important i bet they are sky high
  • It's amazing what info you can find on line.

Hoagie etc history
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]also i would suggest you look into the fat content as well as the calories just as important i bet they are sky high

Absolutely - not to mention added salt.
  • comparing a subway with a big mac is like comparing a silk cut with a b+h. Its all processed rubbish with additives and preservatives that your liver and colon can't break down, and will take at least 10 years till it leaves your body.

The growth of fast food / ready meals and everything else that is processed has seen colon cancer rise to be the biggest killer in the western world. You'd never heard of colon cancer 30 years ago. Mind you a loaf of bread only used to last two days, now it lasts about a fortnight.

It is incredibly difficult to get away from the pesticides, additives and preservatives that are in virtually all of our food.

And i'm not too sure how much the vast bulk of us actually care about our bodies that much to do anything about it.
  • I make DA9 right, Coronation Chicken is the business!
  • Sponsored links:

• I bought the Steak & Cheese one for my son.

The 'Steak' was small thin and very cold pieces of 'meat', the kind you get at the bottom of a doner kebab slab.

Even barring the food it's the smell of the place. . . .
  • It's the bread they use let alone the stuff they put in it, that does my head in.
  • I'm more concerned reading Tavern talk about calories and fat content, he's a changed man you know LOL
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It's the bread they use let alone the stuff they put in it, that does my head in.

Spot on. Its horrible.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]comparing a subway with a big mac is like comparing a silk cut with a b+h. Its all processed rubbish with additives and preservatives that your liver and colon can't break down, and will take at least 10 years till it leaves your body.

The growth of fast food / ready meals and everything else that is processed has seen colon cancer rise to be the biggest killer in the western world. You'd never heard of colon cancer 30 years ago. Mind you a loaf of bread only used to last two days, now it lasts about a fortnight.

It is incredibly difficult to get away from the pesticides, additives and preservatives that are in virtually all of our food.

And i'm not too sure how much the vast bulk of us actually care about our bodies that much to do anything about it.
    The sentiment expressed here is undeniably right. However, I think you should probably check the facts before posting something like colon cancer being 'the biggest killer in the western world'. Heart Disease, Lung Cancer and Stroke are still way, way ahead of colon cancer. In addition, certain countries have bigger problems with other cancers (Japan, for instance, has an inordinately high incidence of stomach cancer)

Definitely right about poor diet increasing the number of cases on colon cancer every year - and quite dramatically too. This can be attributed not only to poor diet, but also to a lack of exercise - and, more specifically regarding diet - a lack of fibre. Most colon cancer arises as a result of a lack of fibre rather than the often mentioned amount of red meat resident compact in people's colons. Prunes do wonders to (ahem) 'clear a path'... :)
  • I apologise, i was only referring to the calories which is what you mentioned, and I apologise also as your food looked like pizza on my poor computer.

I agree though all junk food is cr*p just some more than others!

Finally always remember:

All junk food is fast and all fast food is junk.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]

All junk food is fast and all fast food is junk.

What about an apple? Don't get much faster than that - although I suppose that depends how quickly you can leg it back over the fence!
    ;o)