Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Happy Hammers?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Tribunal recommending they have to pay the full £30m to Shefffield United. Hope SU they have the bolloxs to go after the spineless, corrupt league officials who refused to relegate West Ham in the first place. Anything to say now Martin Samuel?

Comments

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/7630777.stm
  • Is this official or still just "Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe has told BBC Radio 5 Live" ?
  • Sorry re-reading it, it seems that the case is won but the comp. hasn't been decided.

No wonder the Hammers board ditched Curbs so quick when he offered his resignation. Bet they couldn't believe their luck when he threw his hissy fit and they got out of paying him off.
  • enlighten me with what that fat twat samuel said
  • edited September 2008
    He went into claret and blue overdrive all over the papers on West Hams behalf, tried to cloud the whole issue by comparing what other clubs were doing with loaned players like for example the Everton loan of Tim Howard from ManU (Howard never played against United because of a 'gentlemans' agreement, so was that 3rd party interference?) and when pressed on the club blatently lying insisted it was all down to the old owners so why blame the new owners, fans, ball boys (we won you the world cup don't you know).....basically he was the clubs pr gimp.
  • West Ham have known this was coming for sometime,hence the sale of Zamora,Pantsil,Ferdinand & McCarthy that is £20 million.They have been stockpiling these funds to pay the compensation.I was told this by someone with very good connections to the West Ham board.As much as people hope,this isn't really going to hurt them too much.
  • no way will west ham get fine £30m can't see it.

£15M TOPS
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]no way will west ham get fine £30m can't see it.

£15M TOPS

If it's to be a far case, then it must be the value of a place in the premiership... I'd say that's worth a lot more than £30m. TV revenue, sponsorship, higher attendances, hospitality...
  • are they handing back the parachute payments then?
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Sorry re-reading it, it seems that the case is won but the comp. hasn't been decided.

No wonder the Hammers board ditched Curbs so quick when he offered his resignation. Bet they couldn't believe their luck when he threw his hissy fit and they got out of paying him off.

I think you'll find that West Ham broke their Contract with Curbishley before he resigned by selling players from under him Curbs will get a FULL payout don't you worry about that.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Sorry re-reading it, it seems that the case is won but the comp. hasn't been decided.

I think you'll find that West Ham broke their Contract with Curbishley before he resigned by selling players from under him Curbs will get a FULL payout don't you worry about that.

Really, unless either of you have read the contract and know the specifics of the player sales then all you have is a couple of minutes worth of media soundbite to go on. I know Curbs' said that it was in his contract, but in my experience (and I manage contracts for a living) most people don't read them properly or know the ins and outs, so it wouldn't shock me if WH had a different view based on a different bit of the agreement. My personal GUESS is that he'll get something.

The whole effing thing is a farce. Basically they appear to have agreed that wrong was done and that WH should pay their way out of trouble. That's disgusting. It's basically bribery. If Chelsea get relegated should they have the option to pay off one of the teams above them to take the fall. Maybe 60M would do it. We have all this shit about good old fair play and a superiority complex over the rest of Europe but in practice all you ever see is allowances being made left right and centre. Although after the scandal in Italy (which I believe is a fundamentally bent league and country, despite loving the place) they diluted the punishments but still relegated the biggest team in the country and started their Serie B campaign with a massive points deduction. Here, a moderate club like West Ham is allowed to blatantly break the rules with only a financial consequence. So that's saying to EVERYONE do whatever you like as long as you can afford to pay your way out of bother. It's a sad business.
  • I agree with all of that, Mortimerician.

The whole Tevez/ Wham saga still makes me very, very angry. If they had been punished properly at the appropriate time eg points deduction in Jan, then I'm pretty confident we might have got out of relegation trouble ourselves - scrapping over just one place would have been a different matter in those last few weeks when the pressure really got to us. But there's no compensation for us...
  • I know that Curbs rang a couple of people at Charlton, then the League Managers Association for advice before actually resigning, he really isn't that stupid when it comes to money.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] he really isn't that stupid when it comes to money.
    4 words Kets.

Marcus Bent. Francis Jeffers.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]he really isn't that stupid when it comes to money.
    4 words Kets.

Marcus Bent. Francis Jeffers.

His Money West Side not Charlton's :-)
  • How much did we actually end up paying for Jeffers - about half a million?
  • Careful WSS you're getting dangerously close to criticising Curbs, we've been here before lol.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I know that Curbs rang a couple of people at Charlton, then the League Managers Association for advice before actually resigning, he really isn't that stupid when it comes to money.

If he was after a legal opinion he wouldn't have got a guarantee, because there's always two sides to these things.
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/sep/23/premierleague.sheffieldunited
  • Curbs will probably try to argue Constructive Dismissal as his reason for resigning which, so long as he has exhausted internal grievance procedures, is a perfectly legitimate course of action.

Morally we all know West Ham should have had points deducted the season we were still in the Prem but their friends in high places got them off this and no doubt again the compensation payable will be nothing like as much as it should be for the same reason.

Osei Sankofa frivolous appeal anyone?!