Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

walking to the valley....longest ?

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
bored at work and thinking how long would it take to walk from Dartford Bull and Vic to the Valley,,,,,,,,,think approx 3 hours.......and 25 pubs to pass half in each one......be flat out by the Rose Bexleyheath ...and miss the game..!!!.....mmmm thought is who doas walk the furthest....use to walk from Powis Street to grd from 96 when a lad....but sure some must walk alot longer ?

Comments

• Options
    I walked from Catford to Selhurst Park a couple of times when we played there and have also walked to The Valley from New Eltham three or four times.

A good brisk walk does wonders for getting rid of the post-defeat blues, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Often walk home to abbeywood after the match, have walked from the valley to erith a few times to, once walked from the venue to petts wood which was fun..
  • Options
    I've walked from New Cross to Greenwich to meet someone and then to the Valley....
  • Options
    Used to walk to The Valley from Shooters Hill, Lewisham and Catford when I lived in those places.

I went to The Oval Windies Test Match in 1976 and walked home from there to Shooters Hill after the day's play.
  • Options
    Near Plumstead station to the Valley.
  • Options
    marched twice from the square in Woolwich. That was enough !
  • Options
    we ran half way up the hill the 2nd time as we missed the start of the march!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    From Bromley.
  • Options
    I've done the walk from the valley to new eltham a few times as well...but not for ages
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Used to walk to The Valley from Shooters Hill, Lewisham and Catford when I lived in those places.

I went to The Oval Windies Test Match in 1976 and walked home from there to Shooters Hill after the day's play.

Were the trams not running on those days Len?
    ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From Catford and also walked home (to Catford then) from both Selhurst & The Den.
  • Options
    I walked the line once...
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I went to The Oval Windies Test Match in 1976 and walked home from there to Shooters Hill after the day's play.

Was that cos they'd had the wheels off your motor :-)
  • Options
    Not the Valley, but 20 years ago I used to walk from West Ham (where I lived) to the Venue in New Cross and back every Friday night. The walk back - after four hours of boozing - seemed to take a quarter of the time of the walk there! Used to walk from West Ham to the West End and back a couple of times a week too. These days I only walk any journey that's three miles or less - I don't drive and public transport is full of nutters.
  • Options
    How long did that take f&h?
  • Options
    I used to walk from Welling (Glenmore) to the Valley regularly when I was a kid as I didnt have the bus fare
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Simon Jordan[/cite]About 15 minutes

He said "walking", Simon.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]How long did that take f&h?[/quote]

West Ham to New Cross Venue - via Greenwich foot tunnel - didn't take long at all, to be honest, maybe an hour. West Ham to the West End only took a few minutes over 1.5 hours. But I guess I was younger and less fat back then. It takes me half an hour just to get up the hill from Charlton station to the Swan nowadays!
  • Options
    once upon a time, charlton fans would walk to an away match in london...not that i ever did it but i remember once as a young kid, before i started going regularly, watching them walking past the standard on their way to a game...
  • Options
    some one told me they walked with loads to qpr back in the 70s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I walk home to Eltham after most games as its quicker than getting a bus.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited December 2008
    I sometimes walk. 20 mins if I go briskly from Shepherds Bush tube station.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I sometimes walk. 20 mins if I go briskly from Shepherds Bush tube station.

lolol. A loud hoot just came from my corner of the office.

i love this site at times.
  • Options
    I walked from Eltham to Brisbane road once - via the Woolwich Ferry.

Mind you I was about 14 at the time.
  • Options
    After a nightmatch and subsequent celebratory bevies in the Fox under the Hill, I'd spent the bus fare and walked back home to the bus garage end of Bromley Common.

Somebody else will have to work out the distance.

I was a bit lubricated but passed the time walking running 'replays' of Paddy Powell's wonder strike time and time again in my mind. We beat Brighton 4-3 with Paddy's late long distance screamer, after being 2-0 up and 3-2 down.

Things you do when you've had a few, lol
  • Options
    During the bus strike of '58 (bear with me) my old man and I walked from Abbey Wood down Bostall Hill etc to the Valley several times, but usually managed to get a lift back. Nowadays I'm wheezing by the time I reach the chicken pen in the park and completely knackered when I reach the car!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]bored at work and thinking how long would it take to walk from Dartford Bull and Vic to the Valley,,,,,,,,,think approx 3 hours.......and 25 pubs to pass half in each one......be flat out by the Rose Bexleyheath ...and miss the game..!!!.....mmmm thought is who doas walk the furthest....use to walk from Powis Street to grd from 96 when a lad....but sure some must walk alot longer ?[/quote]

dartfordgent - I have done it twice although both times after coming back from away games and falling asleep on the last train, hence a three hour walk home to Charlton. In the middle of the night in winter it's not much fun (didn't learn though).