Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

our away support is a reflection of

the negative posts on here...fact...if you want more fans to follow charlton away then everybody has to start talking about the positives of going to an away match, not make it sound like a one man and his dog effort where the dog keeps moaning at the man for standing up...once upon a violent time, the away support for a game in london wasn't put off by negative inter chat because there wasn't the internet...of course, charlton selling tickets via a premium charge phone line that makes you listen to a load of crap first doesn't exacty help those of us that have to phone from work so dont bother telephoning at all...

Comments

• Ironic, that's a really negative post.

I can't believe for a moment that views express in any internet forum would affect away ticket sales. The number of fans on this board represent a tiny minority of Charlton support.

As for buying tickets, I thought calls were charged 10p a minute? Hardly a massive outlay.
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]the negative posts on here...fact.....

really,
    so pre 2006 (launch of c/life) we used to bang out ends?????????????????

i'll add it to the list of credit cruch, hooliganism, stand up/siddarn brigade, posties stealing tickets, too near to christmas, still on summer hols, on tele, early/late kickoffs, the 'lost selhurst generation', tickets not on general sale straight away despite 40,000 (guess) red card holders able to buy 2 tickets, blah blah blah.......

;-)
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Ironic, that's a really negative post.

I can't believe for a moment that views express in any internet forum would affect away ticket sales. The number of fans on this board represent a tiny minority of Charlton support.

As for buying tickets, I thought calls were charged 10p a minute? Hardly a massive outlay.

it aint the cost, its the fact that a premium rate number comes up on the bill...and if its only 10p, why bother charging in the first place ?
  • [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]the negative posts on here...fact...if you want more fans to follow charlton away then everybody has to start talking about the positives of going to an away match, not make it sound like a one man and his dog effort where the dog keeps moaning at the man for standing up...once upon a violent time, the away support for a game in london wasn't put off by negative inter chat because there wasn't the internet...of course, charlton selling tickets via a premium charge phone line that makes you listen to a load of crap first doesn't exacty help those of us that have to phone from work so dont bother telephoning at all...

One maybe a "reflection" of the other but that does not mean it is cause and effect
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]the negative posts on here...fact.....[/quote]

really,
    so pre 2006 (launch of c/life) we used to bang out ends?????????????????

we took a lot more then, and when we were in the old 3rd division, to a london derby...none of this crap about only 2k for palace away...yes, cost does play a major part and having to buy a ticket beforehand puts a lot of peole off but negative posts saying nobody goes, everybody moans blah, blah, blah just makes people think, fck it, i wont bother...once upon a time, if you didn't go to the last away game you thought you'd missed out big time when you started hearing the stories in the covered end come next home match...

;-)[/quote]
  • Charlton fans have never followed the club away in great numbers - other than local derbies and the odd high profile match (OT away in the cup in 1994), or the Boro/Blackburn games. So attracting more fans to away games goes against the grain of tradition and history.

Perhaps it would help if ticket and travel prices were cheaper and the club played a more attacking style away from home.
  • edited September 2008
    We had very good away support when we was in the lower levels given our home gates were so pore.

Now the f**k can it be "traditional" that we dont go away ------------ bollox

cart loads of reasons people dont go.

LTGTR in the days of hoolies and no segregation people stood together and acted together for safety. It also meant more comtraderie and none of this sit down ball kak. Turn up on day get ticket etc etc etc. Days are gone fella.
  • edited September 2008
    We had very good away support when we was in the lower levels given our home gates were so pore.

I see Mr Angry has woken up...

You ignored what I said about cost of tickets and travel and the dire performance we often put in on the road. Trekking up to say the north west has generally been a waste of time over the last few years.

I could also add that we have few fans outside our catchment area - SE London and North Kent.
  • i do try to ignore what u say as a rule it beng total bollox. and ignoring parts of what people say is your line of arguement 24/7.

you say "traditional pore away support" then say "last few years" total hog wash .
  • Away to Bristol City in the 4th round of the F.A cup attracted six thousand in '94, not a massive game, I was one, that would not happen now, why, I have not heard one convincing arguement to our poor away support yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• What the hell is a "traditional pore"?
  • i tell you why it is shite

we are a small team who are not very good and people dont have the sort of money that they used too.

plus charlton have been letting us down away from home for the last 10 years the fecking bstds and we are fed up getting given shite by some dirty nothn monkey bstd or some smug dirty sthn bstd

there said it
  • Are you on the sauce NLA?
  • Its all changed:

Then
    you could front up on the day.
    didnt cost alot on the train
    you could have a good booze
    trains ran back to London very late
    you could move about in the ground didnt mind if someone was a tea and flask or a hoolie if you didnt like it you could move

Now
    Costs alot to get in
    costs alot by train
    trains dont run that late coming home
    you have to sit next to kids/hoolies or sit down at the fronts

only common is we have always been shit-------but now the fun has gone.

How many times in the past have i/we seen us get stuffed away ? and people back home say" sorry-- u went allthat way and they got tonked" ------ yet never saw it like that it was (normaly) a good day out.
  • edited September 2008
    Having to do everything in advance now (reserved seating at grounds and on trains which are more uncomfortable now than over 20 years back), and then ending up sat next to someone irritating (or finds you irritating) while the vocal support is elsewhere (I'm thinking mpore of big games etc as we take so few, you can move)... And also to pay well over-the-odds to watch prima-donner lavishly paid players who *mostly* aren't too bothered about the shirt.

It's a shame but there ya go.

See you at Selhurst!!
  • I'd go to more games if the boys I used to go with were still going. Vicious circle I am afraid. Train travel was the only real way to go because it was quick and you could drink and play cards (coaches long-since limited on the motorway). It's just got far too expensive - none of my lot can pass for Students Travel Cards anymore (or for the last 20 years) and Persil tickets are long gone! There are very few proper offers left nowadays on the train and the whole day out has become sterile. Who wants to be video'd arriving in town, followed about by riot police and sat down in the corner of a new ground to watch meagre fare? The journey home is invariably delayed by an hour at least due to perpetual weekend engineering works. London derbies haven't been that great for a while. Let's face it, we've been losing more games than winning for the last 10 years and away from home the form has been poor. I'll be at Selhurst tomorrow night because it's Palace, but QPR is the worst away game in London (other than Millwall) and I'd only be encouraged to go if we were playing really well and needed the points.
  • I think a lot of the arguements on here are of general problems, not just a Charlton problem, could it be that away following is on the general decline across the board?
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Away to Bristol City in the 4th round of the F.A cup attracted six thousand in '94, not a massive game, I was one, that would not happen now, why, I have not heard one convincing arguement to our poor away support yet?

I am not sure thats a typical because it was a replay and we had already been drawn against Man Utd in the next round. (It was the 5th Rd not the 4th). It was our first big chance to get to a quarter final since God was a boy.

As for our away support, how poor is it in comparison to similar clubs say in London? I saw some figures recently which showed us fairly comparable to Palarse for example.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Away to Bristol City in the 4th round of the F.A cup attracted six thousand in '94, not a massive game, I was one, that would not happen now, why, I have not heard one convincing arguement to our poor away support yet?

I am not sure thats a typical because it was a replay and we had already been drawn against Man Utd in the next round. (It was the 5th Rd not the 4th). It was our first big chance to get to a quarter final since God was a boy.

As for our away support, how poor is it in comparison to similar clubs say in London? I saw some figures recently which showed us fairly comparable to Palarse for example.

It was the first tie that we took 6 thousand to, the qtr final draw had not been made, we had the replay at the Valley.

I think it is interesting to look at other London clubs though, what about Watford?
  • [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Away to Bristol City in the 4th round of the F.A cup attracted six thousand in '94, not a massive game, I was one, that would not happen now, why, I have not heard one convincing arguement to our poor away support yet?

You can't really go on away followings for cup games though as small clubs can always get large followings together for a big cup game as its a one off and fans are excited about a big day out. We took over 10k to Old Trafford but after a few years in the top flight, we struggled to even sell out 2-3k there as people have been there and done it.
    I remember Yeovil bringing about 5-6k to the Valley a few years ago when they probably don't even get that for home games. But if they were in our league, i bet they wouldn't even sell 2k for a league game.

When we first got promoted to the premiership i know that me and my mates wanted to go to virtually every away game as it was a novelty and the majority were new grounds for us. But after a few years in the top flight, it was like '35 quid for Spurs away, 45 for Chelsea away, no thanks'. As Cardinal Sin says above, we're going tomorrow night simply because it's Palace away but i know for a fact that come QPR away, a ground where most of us have been at least 5 or 6 times, it'll be 'QPR? 30 quid? No thanks'.