Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

US Bailout

2»

Comments

• edited September 2008
    We were told that de-nationalisation would give us more choice and would create cheaper goods and services by effective competition. If there is a level playing field that might be possible, take a recent example its not B. Nec . Fuels are sold to a "private " French company wich is 80% owned by the French Government.

Cheaper goods and services ??? on the trains --- every year for at least the last 5 years fares have gone up by at least 4/5% above inflation.

More choice ???? having a laugh the mega companies are swallowing up the smaller companies and we are left with less choice.

Nationalised industries lost mega money ---------- did they bollox. Gas -- Electrical----BT----BP made mega money while paying off huge loans to HM Treasury at same time. When they were privitised that debt owed to you and me as Tax payers was written off.

When the going gets tough in the businesses and industries that are now owned by big "forign" money they will lay off the people in the UK rather than hiting the people in their own countries.

Thatcher did it------ Blair went with it--- Brown is just an unelected bufoon.
  • edited September 2008
    whenever building societies hit rough times they tend to get rescued by stronger building societies without any taxpayers money or government involvment being required.

Surely you cannot believe that the Nationwide taking over the Derbyshire and Cheshire is anywhere near the same league as the catastrophic mess of Bradford and Bingley, Halifax/BOS, Alliance and Leicester and Northern Rock?

PS During the last financial year, the Nationwide carried out just 1.41% of all repossessions, despite its 13 per cent share of mortgage lending!
  • The rush for privatisation has been a huge greedy mistake which has considerably weakened the infrastructure and services of our country imho.
  • Not knowing a great deal about economics and all this, what does this mean for little old me, who's currently 14 months into my 2 year fixed rate mortgage deal. As i'm an existing mortgage holder will i be ok when it's time to renew, or will i be in the same boat as a first time buyer as won't i effectively be looking for a new mortgage?
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Thatcher had nothing to do with building societies demutualising. In every case it was down to the customers voting for demutualisation. In fact, Bradford & Bingley did not want to demutualise but was forced to because its members (customers) wanted to cop a windfall.
    Absolute, sheer, utter bollocks.

Without Thatcher's mob paving the way for demutualisation it could never have existed. Jesus wept - have you never heard of the 1986 Building Societies Act? Were you not aware that, until this act, banks and building societies were completely different? Banks answered to shareholders, Building Societies to members?

Blaming carpetbaggers for making money out of the ridiculous situation that demutualisation created is like blaming 5 year old kids for eating too much chocolate when the parents have left it lying around on the table.
  • edited September 2008
    CfS: you'll be able to stay with your existing provider on their standard variable rate, so you'll still have a mortgage, but much nearer the time you should look around for another good deal eg. look at moneysupermarket.com/mortgages. No point looking yet.
  • Was Demutalisation really worth it?
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Blaming carpetbaggers for making money out of the ridiculous situation that demutualisation created is like blaming 5 year old kids for eating too much chocolate when the parents have left it lying around on the table.
    great analogy!
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]CfS: you'll be able to stay with your existing provider on their standard variable rate, so you'll still have a mortgage, but much nearer the time you should look around for another good deal eg. look at moneysupermarket.com/mortgages. No point looking yet.

Thanks mate
  • my three-year fixed runs out soon and i've started getting quotes.

Good job my social life is dwindling, because i'm not going to have one for the next couple of years.......:-(
  • Sponsored links:

• The problem that the Banks have is that if they withhold mortgages everyone boohoos that poor people can't get themselves on the property ladder. There's too many people who blame everyone but themselves. You can point the finger at the banks for being greedy and loaning money to people who can't afford to pay it back, but there's a big slice of blame that should be apportioned to the individuals who borrowed the money - in many cases in order to make money out of buy-to-lets. If you borrow something that you can't pay back don't cry that someone should have stopped you doing it. We're all big boys and girls so take a bit of responsibility for yourself.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]my three-year fixed runs out soon and i've started getting quotes.

Good job my social life is dwindling, because i'm not going to have one for the next couple of years.......:-(

Your social life we be Charlton Life. That's it.

;o)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The problem that the Banks have is that if they withhold mortgages everyone boohoos that poor people can't get themselves on the property ladder. There's too many people who blame everyone but themselves. You can point the finger at the banks for being greedy and loaning money to people who can't afford to pay it back, but there's a big slice of blame that should be apportioned to the individuals who borrowed the money - in many cases in order to make money out of buy-to-lets. If you borrow something that you can't pay back don't cry that someone should have stopped you doing it. We're all big boys and girls so take a bit of responsibility for yourself.[/quote]

No, no, we're all 5 year-olds stuffing our faces with chocolate.
  • Become an immigrant.......housing sorted..
  • My fixed rate ran out in April and remortgaging was nightmare then so we didn't do it. Since then I split with the Mrs so stuck on a variable on my own now...Struggling!
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]The problem that the Banks have is that if they withhold mortgages everyone boohoos that poor people can't get themselves on the property ladder. There's too many people who blame everyone but themselves. You can point the finger at the banks for being greedy and loaning money to people who can't afford to pay it back, but there's a big slice of blame that should be apportioned to the individuals who borrowed the money - in many cases in order to make money out of buy-to-lets. If you borrow something that you can't pay back don't cry that someone should have stopped you doing it. We're all big boys and girls so take a bit of responsibility for yourself.

Thats all very well if we are allowed to take reponsibility for all aspects in our life, like where we can light up a fag, or whether we want to wear a crash helmet, but we are mollycoddled and manipulated by governments all the time for their own ends. That said, broadly speaking I agree with you Morts.
  • Why should I, as a non-smoker, have to inhale your smoke?....Selfish......If you don't want to wear a helmet thats your lookout...
  • But it's not my lookout is it nets, thats the whole point I was making, I have to wear a helmet 'cos nanny says so.

Smoking debate has been done to death and the ban has contriubuted to six pubs a day closing in Britain.
  • sorry but I have to disagree, I am glad we have laws to enforce us wearing seat-belts in cars, helmets on motorbikes and building sites etc. - most of us underestimate the risks on roads etc. and these safety measures save the lives of hundreds of parents a year
  • edited September 2008
    Some financial advice:

If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock shares one year ago it would now be worth £4.95

With HBOS, earlier this week your £1000 would have been worth £16.50

£1000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth less than £5

But if you bought £1000 worth of Special Brew one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an aluminium re-cycling plant, you would get £214.

So drink heavily and recycle.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2008
    Assuming a quid a can for the brew you're getting 21.4p per empty. Lehman's should have gone to you when they realised they were in the shit.
  • Shares are a gamble not an investment.
  • Leroy you are a ledgend.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/weekending/weekending%3a-market-turmoil-20070818354/

Those tory bastards who sold OUR national assets to their already rich city mates for a knockdown price want putting up against the wall. Those companies now charge us what they like after a frenzy of take overs made a mockery of competition and do with the same incompetence (call centres - cheaper than proper customer service, no doubt) that led to their privatisation in the first place.

And what makes it worse is that we're going to get another bunch of the scumbags running the country within 2 years.

Happy day. Privatise the profits - nationalise the losses. C*nts.
  • Personally, I blame Sarah Beeney and that Phil and the posh bit. If they didn't make everyone feel inadequate because you only had the one house that you could comfortably afford a reasonable mortage on we'd be alright now and laughing at the mess America's in.