Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derek Chappell on Pardew

from Daily Mail website: (might actually be from the Evening Standard, I suppose)

'There is nothing true in the rumours that his job is under threat. Alan is still under contract with the club.

'Fans are allowed to express their opinions - that's the point of football, so I can understand their views. But there has been no discussion or thoughts about changing managers. Alan Pardew is our manager and he will be for a long time to come yet.'

'There are always financial constraints when a club gets relegated from the Premier League and if you want to run your club sensibly then you always have to keep an eye on the balance sheet.

'The main aim is to stay in business closely followed by winning promotion. You can look down the Football League and see plenty of clubs who have had financial problems.'

But who the hell is George Noble here?

While some fans believe Pardew is the wrong man to deliver in such circumstances, there are others who are prepared to give him more time.

George Noble, from the Charlton Supporters' Club, said: 'What's the point in sacking the man when his hands have been tied? We will just have to start all over again.

'We would obviously be pleased to be doing better than we are but also realistic to know it takes time.'

Comments

• Options
    george is one of the original supporters club members of the hastings branch used to have pubs in hastings i knew him the shitehurst days
  • Options
    the press are trying to whip this one up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]the press are trying to whip this one up

which is why I suspect it's from the sub-Standard, the Mail is usually on side.
  • Options
    too early for this type of thing, but i think it would be folly to deny that if the next 3 or 4 results go against us, Pards will come under pressure.

Anyone, a debate for another day i feel.
  • Options
    George still runs a pub in hastings - The Fountain.

He'll be there tonight - you can't miss him, with his 1980's Beanie hat, silk scarves, beard and cigar. Runs the A21 coaches for most games.

He even managed to get a pass for Donny.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]George still runs a pub in hastings - The Fountain.

He'll be there tonight - you can't miss him, with his 1980's Beanie hat, silk scarves, beard and cigar. Runs the A21 coaches for most games.

He even managed to get a pass for Donny.

Sits not far from me in the East. Always wears that hat. Wish I knew where mine got to.
  • Options
    Perhaps it's in your cardies draw?
  • Options
    Let's get real here:

Despite the advantage of Premier League parachute payments, Charlton are way off the promotion pace in the Championship and slumped to a 2-1 home loss to Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.
    Slumped to a a 2-1 home loss after 19 attempts on goal

Fourteenth place is hardly the position manager Pardew expected to be in when he succeeded Iain Dowie 20 months ago. Hack journalism..... maybe 14th but only 2 points away from a play-off place!

But, despite a strong start, Pardew's team failed to even make the play-offs and now some supporters have voiced their concerns that Charlton are moving in the wrong direction and lack serious Premier League ambitions.
    Some supporters....? Who has this hack been talking too - or is he just lazily reading the negative posts on internet forums like this one?
  • Options
    I am behind Pardew all the way. I called for him as our manager the day Curbs quit. I still believe in him.
    HOWEVER - To suggest that his future/ability etc should not be discussed on here is nothing short of censorship.
    We must be allowed to debate and I will fly that flag always, whether I agree with people opinions or not.
    To stick your head in the sand and not allow discussions, in my opinion, is futile and in the long term unhelpful.
  • Options
    what negative posts...

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fully agree Chirpy.

As i said to someone in a private message, it is GOOD to have people with differing views. It makes for an interesting debate.

All we ask is that if you do have a view that you think may be against the norm, or contraversial, you think a little about how you word what you post, read it back etc and try and add reason.

Too many low-level reactionary posts have been made of late. We just ask people to take a little thought into what they post, that's all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]fully agree Chirpy.

As i said to someone in a private message, it is GOOD to have people with differing views. It makes for an interesting debate.

All we ask is that if you do have a view that you think may be against the norm, or contraversial, you think a little about how you word what you post, read it back etc and try and add reason.

Too many low-level reactionary posts have been made of late. We just ask people to take a little thought into what they post, that's all.

What a load of bollox! police state, human rights blah, blah, blah, better on Netaddicks, stalinist Russia, blah, blah, blah.
  • Options
    The problem that boo boys have is that everyone demanded Pardew as manager. They've conveniently forgotten this, which makes them no better than the nuggets that support Spurs and Newcastle, lurching between one view and the next based entirely on hindsight
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Unfortunately there are a few who prefer to belittle opposing posters rather than address the issues raised by those posters.

I was unable to get to the Sheffield Wednesday match or even listen to it for personal reasons so do not feel qualified to comment on that particular fixture.

My take on the general Pardew issue is that I was pleased when he was appointed but I have stupidly believed his spin and thus been disappointed when it has proved to be boll**** all too often!

That said I think it would be counter productive to get rid of him at the moment but I can understand why others may think along those lines.

It seemed to be perfectly acceptable for a vociferous few to suggest sacking our manager when we were midtable in the Premiership so why shouldn't people have a similar right when we are midtable in the Championship?

Despite asking that question I reiterate that I am still behind Pardew.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What makes me more than a bit sad is that there are cetain posters(especially on another board not a million miles from here), who can't wait for Pardew to fail....I honestly believe they'd get more pleasure in seeing that than in us, as a club, succeeding!
    Now how bitter and twisted is that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]What makes me more than a bit sad is that there are cetain posters(especially on another board not a million miles from here), who can't wait for Pardew to fail....I honestly believe they'd get more pleasure in seeing that than in us, as a club, succeeding!

I have to agree. Seems daft to be wanting someone connected to the club you love to fail in what they are trying to do......
  • Options
    it's like the people who boo players after 10 mins on the pitch or when the team is announced......

Great support
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Unfortunately there are a few who prefer to belittle opposing posters rather than address the issues raised by those posters.

I was unable to get to the Sheffield Wednesday match or even listen to it for personal reasons so do not feel qualified to comment on that particular fixture.

My take on the general Pardew issue is that I was pleased when he was appointed but I have stupidly believed his spin and thus been disappointed when it has proved to be boll**** all too often!

That said I think it would be counter productive to get rid of him at the moment but I can understand why others may think along those lines.

It seemed to be perfectly acceptable for a vociferous few to suggest sacking our manager when we were midtable in the Premiership so why shouldn't people have a similar right when we are midtable in the Championship?

Despite asking that question I reiterate that I am still behind Pardew.

I agree with much of that but football managers aren't employed (or at least shouldn't be) for their ability at bullsh*t. Curbs was hopeless at it but the best manager we've had in the modern era. Pards likes his pearls of wisdom but often it comes out wrong or needs some clarification.

At the end of the day he will sink or swim based upon the teams performance. What we should be careful about doing is assuming that a manager can come in, after many years of somebody elses reign and then a couple of failures and expect that he can transform things overnight when, at the same time, players are having to be culled to balance the books.

Look at some successful or reasonably successful managers in recent years, Coppell at Reading, McCarthy at Wolves, Warnock at Sheff Utd. They had three or more years of building a side (and not having to trim half the squads). OK there are examples of managers who come in and make an immediate impact but I would argue they are the exception rather than the rule. Take Curbs as an example, he became responsible for team affairs in 1991, yet we did not get promoted until 98. He had a very long time to build a successful team. Why do some think that all Pards has to do is waive his magic wand and promotion will instantly materialise. It ain't going to happen that way. We have a chance this season but it may take a few more. It doesn't mean he is a poor manager or that he should be replaced.

The press have an agenda, lets not give them the satisfaction of dancing to it.
  • Options
    Good post Bing.
  • Options
    It's all a big pile of poo. At the end of the day they could have pulled former player and one after the other asked them questions until they got the response they wanted.

At the end of the day I like the way the team is developing. It's not perfect but we will get it together as long as Pardew is allowed to stick to his guns.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some good points Bing.

All I would add is that yes it took Curbs 7 years to gain promotion but we did move back to The Valley and effectively rebuild it from scratch in that time too.

Would Curbs have got 7 years in ordinary circumstances?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Some good points Bing.

All I would add is that yes it took Curbs 7 years to gain promotion but we did move back to The Valley and effectively rebuild it from scratch in that time too.

Would Curbs have got 7 years in ordinary circumstances?

I realise that Len, Curbs greatest advantage was being able to keep the lid on the expection level. The point I am making is that having the time to build a team usually pays dividends and we shouldn't expect miracles. Look at the mighty Toon Army? Why has the club underperfomed for so long relative to the size of their fan base? Do managers get enough time to build something lasting in nature? (And its not just the first team, it's the whole of the footballing side which gets chopped and changed when managers come and go). Look at Spurs and their fans expectations relative to their success in the last twenty to thirty years.
  • Options
    I contiue to believe that Pards is the man for the job but if we don't get in the play off reckoning then his position will come under pressure. What concerns me about Pards is his tinkering with successful teams, for instance Gray scores the winner at Doncaster and is dropped for the next game, Varney finally hit form lat season and was dropped for Lita and his substitutions seem bizarre at times. He is going to be judged on his results and they will be consequences of his selections and overall performance. The telling thing about Wednesday was that we made 19 chances, now all we need to do is convert them, preferably starting tonight.