Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greyhound Track - Floyd Road

DA9DA9
edited October 2008 in Other Football and Sports
In the questions section of the Daily Mail on Tuesday, someone was asking about long since closed Greyhound tracks in the Capital, the person who replied said there used to be one of 16 NGRC (National Greyhound Racing Club) tracks in London in Floyd Road?

Anyone ever heard of this or was it the Valley many moons ago where they used to race, and he has just used the actual physical address as the location rather than just say it was the Valley?

Comments

• Options
    Used to be a greyhound track where Makros now is. Closed in late 60's early 70's I would guess
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Used to be a greyhound track where Makros now is. Closed in late 60's early 70's I would guess

Surely they wouldn't list it as Floyd Road though if it was that one, Anchor & Hope Lane more likely.
  • Options
    Positive there has never been one in Floyd Road or at The Valley. Seen a few dogs there but not greyhounds.
  • Options
    There used to one where Makros is now.
  • Options
    Mum and Dad used to work at the one where Makros was.

Though I am sure I read somewhere that the Valley has hosted Racing cars and greyhound racing in the dim and distant past ?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2008
    But it specifically states, Floyd Road, Chartlon, SE7

Is Colin Cameorn on here...he'll know?
  • Options
    Just been on the NGRC website and sent an inquiry to them, will respond as soon as I have it.
  • Options
    Sure my old man mentioned something about the Makros and dogs in the past

Or maybe thats just wee he met my Ex step mum????????
  • Options
    100% where Makros is now. Never saw it but my old man and Uncles went to it and used to point it out to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]100% where Makros is now. Never saw it but my old man and Uncles went to it and used to point it out to me.

Not disputing there was one there, only that there was allegedly one at Floyd Road, best will in the world they are 6 or seven streets apart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]100% where Makros is now. Never saw it but my old man and Uncles went to it and used to point it out to me.[/quote]

Not disputing there was one there, only that there was allegedly one at Floyd Road, best will in the world they are 6 or seven streets apart.[/quote]

Poor research me thinks
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2008
    Reply from NGRC:

Doesn't answer the Floyd Road question, but helpful all the same

Dear *******

I am very sorry but I cannot offer too much information but I may help with your query.

There was a greyhound track in South East London situated at Charlton and I am sure that it was not at the Valley but at the site now occupied by Macros.

Hope that this helps.

Jim Snowden
    Security Assistant

Email: jim@ngrc.org.uk
    Web: www.ngrc.org.uk
    Office tel: 020 7267 9256

Fax: 020 7482 1023

Twyman House, 16 Bonny Street, London, NW1 9QD
  • Options
    It was demolished in the early 70s and Makro built on the site.

Used to be a track in New Cross too, with bits remaining until the early 1990s.
  • Options
    the founder of the greyhound track, Thomas Murphy, is buried in Charlton Cemetery - he's got a big memorial with two life-sized greyhounds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_polstar/1595155186/
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    New Cross dog track was in Idlerton Rd , right next to the Den before they want to the "state of art" new ground which went rusty over night ! shame
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]

PS Millwall are and always will be our rivals not nigelas in croydon.

Spot on. Made my day after the game on saturday, finding out that they had been stuffed.
  • Options
    Not playing them for nearly 15 years in a proper game has dulled it a bit with them scum bags
  • Options
    Don't care how many years it has been since we have played them last. It will be never be dulled with me.They will always be the SCUM to me. Will always hate them with a passion and it aways makes my weekend when they lose.
  • Options
    Maybe for you and me that will never change, but for a lot of supporters in their late teens/early 20's they have little idea of what it's all about
  • Options
    I vaguely remember the Greyhound Stadium. I seem to recall there were adverts either in the programme or at the Valley or both.

There were midget car races at the Valley I believe but no dogs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dont think you are allowed to say midget these days mate it should be "vertically challenged car racing " i think. you nazi !!!
  • Options
    There certainly was a dog track in Charlton along the lower road. The area has changed so much I get a bit disorientated as to where places used to be but the Makro area sounds about right from what I can remember.

My grandfather was manager there for a while back in the days of Jimmy Seed and a lot of Charlton players used to go to the meetings.
  • Options
    Millwall always were and always will be our main rivals...whether they like it or not...of coursethe problem is we so rarely play them nowadays...so it's hard for those under say 40'ish to really get to grips with how things were.
  • Options
    Sound As and those that say i wish we could play em dont know how bad it was !
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    only here could a relatively harmless thread pondering about something that's gone be turned into a rant about hatred.

(oh, and PC-ness, and zzzz....)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]only here could a relatively harmless thread pondering about something that's gone be turned into a rant about hatred.

(oh, and PC-ness, and zzzz....)

Rant.......who's ranting? I haven't noticed anyone ranting!
  • Options
    My great Grandad had a half share in that dog track many moons ago.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]

PS Millwall are and always will be our rivals not nigelas in croydon.

I'm agreeing with GH again. Will take more pleasure in beating the Spanners than palace but while the Lions are below us the Glaziers are an interesting distraction
  • Options
    Oh good grief, don't you lot start too! So all this Palace thing is just a phony war cos we're not their rivals and they're not ours?

Mind you, I personally hate Man Utd and Birmingham City more than both of them but thats to do with living and growing up in the West Midlands.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    At The Valley, back in the late 60's when I was a kid, they used to play pre-recorded advertising jingles over the tannoy - a bit like present day radio commercials.

Amongst others, there was invariably one that began something like:
    "Come Greyhound Racing at Charlton Stadium........."