Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your 3 favourite Elvis songs

Comments

• Options
    My cousin Carol (In her 60's) Has been an elvis fan since day one!

She has a massive collection of everything to do with the king some of it quite rare and worth a few bob!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]I have never realy been into elvis until the sister in law got a new fella about 6 years back. He is an Elvis impersonator and is absolutley great!! check out his websitewww.tmwwbk.com

Whats his name?, I've got a couple of pals in the business

Paul Robinson, lives in Northampton but works all over
  • Options
    including lassiters
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]including lassiters

LOL
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]1) If I Can Dream
    2) I just Can't Help Believing
    3) It's Only Love

It's Only Love

There's someone who knows their Elvis songs!

I worship the King everyday mate.

I grew up in a house full of Elvis music. My Mum adored him and the only person in the world of music my Dad (same age as him) respected apart from Johhny Cash was Elvis.
    My sister who is 5 years older than me totally adored him. She actually got round my Dad to let her have an afternoon off school to watch Jailhouse Rock on TV during the King's 40th celebrations. Of course that was 1975 so way before videos and DVD's.
    I remember 16th August 1977 so well, my Dad was on night shift, there was a huge storm, my Mum and sister were in bits and the three of us spent the night together as a family in the matrimonial bed! Wouldn't be allowed these days!

I went to the London Arena concert too, fantastic!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]1) If I Can Dream
    2) I just Can't Help Believing
    3) It's Only Love

It's Only Love

There's someone who knows their Elvis songs!

I worship the King everyday mate.

I grew up in a house full of Elvis music. My Mum adored him and the only person in the world of music my Dad (same age as him) respected apart from Johhny Cash was Elvis.
    My sister who is 5 years older than me totally adored him. She actually got round my Dad to let her have an afternoon off school to watch Jailhouse Rock on TV during the King's 40th celebrations. OF course that was 1975 so way before videos and DVD's.
    I remember 16th August 1977 so well, my Dad was on night shift, there was a huge storm, my Mum and sister were in bits and the three of us spent the night together as a family in the matrimonial bed! Wouldn't be allowed these days!

I went to the London Arena concert too, fantastic!

Brothers in arms, I remember it well to fella, and the storm, and my dad was out playing darts LOL, met a couple of the Memphis Mafia, Espisito and Charlie Hodge.
  • Options
    .....and the man who gives my scarves and my water is Mr Charlie Hodge....
  • Options
    Legend in his own right, RIP Charlie
  • Options
    His films are generally ridiculed and quite rightly for some of the latter ones but the man could act. King Creole is a great film.
  • Options
    The wife absolutely loves him! but years ago I bought several cds for her birthday, and one of them included "Old Shep" for F*** sake what is that all about, sorry but I just dont get it :-)

If I had to pick one, The wonder of You.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed on King Creole (been trying to buy the burberry'esque Baracuda jacket on ebay that he wears), they do say Blue Hawaii was either the last of the good ones or the first of the bad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]The wife absolutely loves him! but years ago I bought several cds for her birthday, and one of them included "Old Shep" for F*** sake what is that all about, sorry but I just dont get it :-)

If I had to pick one, The wonder of You.

He actually sang that in a school competition (and won) thats why he recorded it.
  • Options
    Elvis? Can't ignore his influence on generations of people but what great songs did he WRITE? Great performer, though.

Three songs? Always preferred the Rock 'n' Roll years

Heartbreak Hotel
    Jailhouse Rock
    Blue Suede Shoes
  • Options
    Jailhouse Rock
    All Shook Up - got this on 10" 78, nothing to play it on though.
    Return to Sender - one for the funeral I think

Best Cover - Nick Cave's In The Ghetto
  • Options
    Hard One

Rock and Roll Elvis
    Heartbreak Hotel
    Good Rocking Tonight
    Maybellene

Crooner Elvis
    Lonesome Tonight
    Suspicious Minds
    Always on my mind

Great Singer. No Elvis = None of the "rock" music we listen to now would exist.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Elvis? Can't ignore his influence on generations of people but what great songs did he WRITE?

So what?
    Martin Scorsese can't act but still makes great films. Jose Muriniho was not a top footballer etc etc. Elvis IS the King of Rock 'n Roll and always will be.
  • Options
    Always preferred Cliff myself.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Always preferred Cliff myself.
    Thorburn?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Elvis? Can't ignore his influence on generations of people but what great songs did he WRITE?

So what?
    Martin Scorsese can't act but still makes great films. Jose Muriniho was not a top footballer etc etc. Elvis IS the King of Rock 'n Roll and always will be.

Well said
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As I said, great performer, no argument. But it's a bit like trying make a comparison between Shakespeare and Olivier IMHO. Most of the 'top three' threads are for artists who not only perform but have created music of their own.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    But who is trying to make a comparision? Only you. Everyone else just put their favourite 3 Elvis songs. It's a bit of fun. Where are there rules set down for Top 3 Lists FFS?
    Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald/George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin.

You have singers, you have songwriters and then you have singer/songwriters. Where is the problem?
  • Options
    Highly strung much Chirps??? Chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
  • Options
    I remember being such a happy 7 year old in my Granny's house in Ireland, having 'borrowed' Bruv's little blue transitor & hearing Elvis had died.
    'Great!' I thought, 'I'll never have to listen to him ever again!'
    I ran into the parlour & made the announcement with a huge grin, feeling all pleased with myself.

Que a chorus of wails from ten's of Irish women & my Dad telling me to get to bed (t'was the middle of the afternoon) as I was such an evil child.

So needless to say.............I don't have a favourite one, let alone three!!!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]Highly strung much Chirps??? Chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Why do people have to try and be so clever?
  • Options
    I've avoided this one because your asking for a top three and it's just impossible. I'll give you my top ten. No 1 is my favourite but all the others are not in any great order.

1. Jailhouse Rock

2. King Creole

3. Hound dog

4. Blue Suede Shoes

5. Heartbreak Hotel

6. You're a Heartbreaker

7. Take My Hand Precious Lord

8. You're So Square ( Baby I don't Care)

9. Love Me Tender

10. Don't Be Cruel
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My top three would be:
    1. You Gave Me A Mountain
    2. In the Ghetto
    3. Trouble (from King Creole)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Great Singer. No Elvis = None of the "rock" music we listen to now would exist.

Spot on Henners, he really did change the world, Dylan, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols etc twisted it a little, Elvis turned it upside down.

Anyhow,

Mystery Train,
    Just Because,
    I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine,
    Blue Moon of Kentucky

I know that's four but I couldn't separate them.
  • Options
    Each to their own ;
    He had acouple of decent songs , but not a touch on The Clash or the Banshees.......................

(Grabs tin hat and starts running for cover..............)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Each to their own ;
    He had acouple of decent songs , but not a touch on The Clash or the Banshees.......................

(Grabs tin hat and starts running for cover..............)

oi, thats me & Mick attacking you with our quiffs in the Cons next time.
  • Options
    Is that a promise or a threat ?

:-)