Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question for our older viewers...

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Just been watching youtube clips of the Mod/Rockers riots of '64. Who were the white helmeted police?

Comments

• Options
    you must be really bored at work R!
  • Options
    Bike cops?

Or the ones with the regimental style white hats?
  • Options
    Regimental style.....
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Were these crash helmets or white every day usage helmets? They did wear white crash helemets.
    I honestly cannot recollect for one moment the latter and believe you me if anyone was looking out for them it was me!!!
    I've got a fantasic Mods book at home...I'll take a shuffty at it tonight ,it could be that some cops attached to coastal towns wore white helmets as they were cooler in the summer months.
  • Options
    Don't look like crash helmets.....thought they might be an early riot police..
  • Options
    Traffic cops or Jockeys. . .
  • Options
    There like the modern bic refill helmets they wear on ceremony, only white.
  • Options
    white-helmet.jpg
  • Options
    Thats it...
  • Options
    Sussex police issue at the time allegedly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    looks like a NAZI hat
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]looks like a NAZI hat

What???....lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Sussex police issue at the time allegedly

Correct...between 1952 and 1967 to be exact....do you know, I never knew that.
  • Options
    They only wore them in the summer as a celebration of summer and status of the area.
  • Options
    They wore white hats so they could bee seen in the dark.

the Met did have a hat that had a flashing light on the top , so they wouldnt actually runinto a member ofthe public when responding at the double to a 999 call about a burglary . They stopped wearing this as it made em look like hugeTwats which of course theydidnt need any help with.
  • Options
    "Zoot Suit white jacket with side vents five inches long, I'm out on the street again and I'm leaping along. Dressed right for a beach fight but I just can't explain why that uncertain feeling is still here in my brain".

As a kid, I grew up with Mods & Rockers and thanks to Townshend, the music takes you right back there. I do vaguely remember the White Hatted coppers.