Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Impossible Job

Did anyone else watch the repeat of the Graham Taylor doccumentry last night?, in my opionon one of the greatest football doccumentries ever, of course the " do i not like that.." came out of it but, i loved the cut aways during the Poland game where u saw taylor talking and giving instructions then the players following it to the book, the going in hard tackles and the gazza free kicks. at the end of the day he wasnt up to the job but i do have a large amount of sympathy for the guy. it was on ITV4 for some reason but if you havnt seen it keep an eye out for the repeats.

Comments

• Options
    it's on again this week. Wednesday i think.
  • Options
    The bit I remember was him saying something about not turning your back on the ball when the opposition has a throw in, and then film of Des Walker (I think) doing exactly that, and a goal being conceded from it.
  • Options
    He conducts a Press Conference and makes Joe Kinnier sound like Mary Whitehouse. No one made a fuss at the time. Why? Because the wanky so called journalists we have these days just sit there with their digital recorders and tape the whole thing.
  • Options
    the banter with the press men was amazing, considering how they treated him he never did owt wrong to them personally
  • Options
    Repeated Tuesday at 9pm. "Impossible job".
  • Options
    Anyone who loves football should watch this, an absolute classic.

Cheers Covered End, will be watching again.
  • Options
    I have the utmost respect for Graham Taylor.

A good, honourable family man who was pillorised by our media in the most cruel fashion. Ditto Bobby Robson, though Robson was a far more successful manager.

Will be interested to see it again.
  • Options
    He just luuuurved Carlton Palmer too didn't he?! Brilliant stuff
  • Options
    From the moment Graham Taylor subbed Lineker in his last match for England (Anyone remember who came on?) when we needed a goal to stay in Euro '92, he had made a rod for his own back as far as the media were concerned.
    The press still wanted Clough although he was past his prime by then. Taylor had to always fight against prejudice. He hadn't been a top player, he hadn't managed a real big club and he was seen as a long ball merchant.
    He probably wasn't the right man at the time, maybe should have been his eventual successor Venables.
    Robson was a disaster as England manager but it is all forgotten because of Italia '90, indeed we were pretty poor in that until the semi. Crap against IRE and Netherlands, lucky against Cameroon and Portugal and unlucky V West Germany. Shilton and Lineker were the real reasons we made it to the semis. It set Robson up and he had a very successful career in club management throughout Europe. I'm sure Newcastle would not be in the state they are now if he had stayed.
    Robson saw us through faltering and indeed failing qualifications for major tournaments during his tenure and got as much stick as Taylor.
    Taylor finally fell down at the infamous away match V Netherlands during qualification for USA '94. Of course Koeman should have been sent off but then Seaman should have saved the re-taken free kick. Brian Moore knew he was going to chip it!
    I had nothing but contempt for Taylor for years but now when I listen to him on 5Live he talks a lot of sense. He has a lot of dignity and doesn't moan about his time or treatment as England boss.
    How many wise English men are we going to be able to listen to in 10/20 years time? Men with his experience in management. apart from Fergies brood, not many I reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]From the moment Graham Taylor subbed Lineker in his last match for England (Anyone remember who came on?) when we needed a goal to stay in Euro '92, he had made a rod for his own back as far as the media were concerned.

I had nothing but contempt for Taylor for years but now when I listen to him on 5Live he talks a lot of sense. He has a lot of dignity and doesn't moan about his time or treatment as England boss.
    How many wise English men are we going to be able to listen to in 10/20 years time? Men with his experience in management. apart from Fergies brood, not many I reckon.

I believe it was Alan Smith if my memory serves me correct (I was only 10). Outside of the top top managers who seem to be able to get it right time after time, successful managememnt is always 90% luck, players get injured, refs make terrible decisions, new signings just don't quite settle even though they looked nailed on to be successful. International management is even more of a lottery as you're restricted as to which players you can bring in. Taylor's treatment always struck me as horribly over the top and a low even by our gutter press's standards. As others have said, he seems an honest and very decent guy and I don't doubt he tried his very best for England and I don't really see why anyone should have to be subject to such personal attacks as he was simply for not quite be able to cut it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Correct, Alan Smith it was.
  • Options
    "Carlton, can you not knock it"

Will definitely have to Sky Plus on Wednesday.

Have to say my favourite of all time is still the behind the scenes at Leyton Orient, whatever happened to that fella.
  • Options
    "Carlton... Hit Les... Demand it !!"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    Have to say my favourite of all time is still the behind the scenes at Leyton Orient, whatever happened to that fella.

John Sitton. Legend!! "and you can bring yer f*ckin dinner"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE5mEDcjM6s
  • Options
    John Sitton Glenn Hoddle on Kestrel Super Brew !!!!
  • Options
    Went to Rotterdam for that qualifier '93 , the Koeman game.Got pelted all night long with all sorts of missiles from the Dutch....coins. lighters, even umbrellas.Good days ;-).
  • Options
    It's actually on tonight, 9pm ITV4
  • Options
    Italia 90, what great memories.
  • Options
    "Went to Rotterdam for that qualifier '93 , the Koeman game.Got pelted all night long with all sorts of missiles from the Dutch....coins. lighters, even umbrellas.Good days ;-). "

I was at that one too (did all the qualifiers in that group)

I was also at the sweden game in the 92 Euros and most people that were around me thought that he was right to take Lineker off as he was having a shyte game. I loved Lineker but always thought he was a tw*t for the snidey little comments he used to make about Taylor once he got his mug on TV.
  • Options
    Just watched it again, really enjoyed it.

Very good indicator on just how football management has evolved and become more technical in the years that have followed.

Very glad Taylor has come out the other side all ok, a good man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phil Neal and Big Lawrie are just hilarious. If you ever wonder where the idea of Mike Bassett came form just watch this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]"Carlton... Hit Les... Demand it !!"

I recall an England Italy match when the Italian manager said about Carlton Palmers selection "How many players had to be injured before he was selected"
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]"Carlton... Hit Les... Demand it !!"[/quote]

I recall an England Italy match when the Italian manager said about Carlton Palmers selection "How many players had to be injured before he was selected"[/quote]

Answer; All of them.