Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen

No wonder he has been dropped from the England squad. Watched him on Sunday for Newcastle, he was awful. They might have well have played with 10 men. If he touched the ball on more than a couple of occassions in the second half I would be surprised. Would love to see some match stats on him!

Comments

• Options
    he was pretty poor
  • Options
    Yet he has scored 5 goals this season.

Thats what he is - a natural goalscorer - something England do not have.

Ah well.
  • Options
    aye who is proven internationally as well.
  • Options
    No Service = No goals, Owen is the one true goalscorer that England have, the sooner he leaves Newcastle the better for his career !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]No wonder he has been dropped from the England squad. Watched him on Sunday for Newcastle, he was awful. They might have well have played with 10 men. If he touched the ball on more than a couple of occassions in the second half I would be surprised. Would love to see some match stats on him!

Essex...strikers can often be like that....Killer used to have some absolute 'stinkers' but when he came off the pitch at quarter to five his name would like as not be on that score sheet....that's simply the way it goes with them sometimes....conversely someone like Varney can have a great game(like Saturday for example) and not score!!
  • Options
    To not have him in the squad is ridiculous imo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]No wonder he has been dropped from the England squad. Watched him on Sunday for Newcastle, he was awful. They might have well have played with 10 men. If he touched the ball on more than a couple of occassions in the second half I would be surprised. Would love to see some match stats on him!

Essex...strikers can often be like that....Killer used to have some absolute 'stinkers' but when he came off the pitch at quarter to five his name would like as not be on that score sheet....that's simply the way it goes with them sometimes....conversely someone like Varney can have a great game(like Saturday for example) and not score!!

It's funny, when I was typing the thread I thought of Mr. Hales. Absolutely useless outside of the 18 yard box, but absolutely brilliant inside of it!
  • Options
    He'd be the first name on my team sheet if I was England boss.
  • Options
    Rooney would be mine.

No way Owen shouldn't at least be on the bench though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]I thought of Mr. Hales. Absolutely useless outside of the 18 yard box, but absolutely brilliant inside of it!

Dunno he could swing a decent left hook anywhere on the pitch as I recall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Football has moved on from those days though. Van Nistelrooy is a goal poacher extrordinaire but watching him for Holand at the Euro's his hold up play was superb. Evne though, unbelievably, Owen is still only 28 his a bit of a spent force at International level imo now he's lost his pace. I don't think Defoe is the long term answer either but I think he brings a bit more to the table than Owen these days and Capello is right to look to the future I think - I certainly wouldn't bank on Owen being fit come the World Cup.
  • Options
    in an absolute hapless newcastle side, with zero service??? leave it out, he is micky owen, whats his record in an england shirt, remind me??? people are so quick to jump all over him, as chirpy says, first name on the england team sheet thank you very much. the boy is class, give him service and he'll bang em in all day. he dont deserve the stick he gets! shame he plays for the friggin numpty barcodes!
  • Options
    In modern INTERNATIONAL football strikers have to be able to be part of the build up too. Still a force at Premiership level but if he was top drawer like he used to be he'd be playing someone better than Newcastle. Having said that England don't have any particularly great centre forwards at the moment imo.
  • Options
    Would rather Owen than Eskey but not as well as
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    None of the top teams who'd have taken a punt on him are going to match his wages unless he's on a free and Newcastle aren't going to offload him unless they get a significant 8 figure bid so Owen's trapped in a gilded cage. Can easily see him treading water and counting his money through what should be the best years of his career.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Michael Owen BIG GAME player end of - should be in the England team let alone sqaud.

[cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]None of the top teams who'd have taken a punt on him are going to match his wages unless he's on a free and Newcastle aren't going to offload him unless they get a significant 8 figure bid so Owen's trapped in a gilded cage. Can easily see him treading water and counting his money through what should be the best years of his career.

Only because of his injury record not because of his ability - but it has not stopped people f******* banging on about that pile of cack at Weat Ham Dean Ashton who should not be allowed to wear an England shirt at home let alone for real.

Sorry I love Michael Owen and can't have anyone knocking him. HE'LL be back that's for sure.
  • Options
    ledge amen to that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]To not have him in the squad is ridiculous imo.
    Espceially given the fact Beckham is in it. Now I love Beckham the footballer, he's one of this countries finest football products for many, many years but that's a total waste of a squad position, Mr Capello.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Would rather Owen than Eskey but not as well as

Whilst i agree Owen should be in the squad, you can't knock Heskey. When he plays in big games, Germany away, Russia at home, Craotia away, England tend to do well. The best players don't always make the best team.
  • Options
    If you do knock Heskey, he generally falls over.