Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Goalies

Look at the 3 in our squad, James, Green and Carson. Do any of them give you complete confidence? They don't for me.
To think we had keepers like Corrigan, Parkes and even dear old Merv who hardly ever got a look in during the Shilton/Clemence era.
Oh for a Phil Parkes today!

Comments

• Options
    Banks,Bonetti, Stepney
  • Options
    Only saying the same thing at work today Chirpy but all the time the top teams want the finished article it won't change. Equally if Green and Carson were that good the top 4 would snap them up but instead choose to use keepers from abroad.

Even Foster at Man Utd, like Kirkland before him, seems to be injury prone and for that reason we can expect the Reds to sign a big name from Italy or Spain to replace Van De S.
  • Options
    Of course there is one keeper playing in the championship who wouldn't look out of place in the squad. After all, who would you prefer Carson or Weaver?
  • Options
    Of course there is one keeper playing in the championship who wouldn't look out of place in the squad. After all, who would you prefer Carson or Weaver?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Of course there is one keeper playing in the championship who wouldn't look out of place in the squad. After all, who would you prefer Carson or Weaver?
    Bloody good point! He has got better with age. When I first saw him and we put 8 past him in two games I didn't think much of him but the boy is quality. He is big and that's important. Obviously his face doesn't fit.
  • Options
    Carson, everyday. But that's just me.
  • Options
    Are people comparing Weaver to Carson or am I reading this Thread wrong. Scott Carson was unbelievable for us. Weaver has steadily improved but is not in carson's league in my opinion.

As for the Original Thread, although Calamity James does have his moments when on his game which he has been for last couple of years he is superb.
  • Options
    Why do we neeed 3 keepers as well.

Take one out and put Michael Owen in :-)
  • Options
    I would chose Weaver over Carson everytime.
  • Options
    I prefer Carson to Weaver but neither are good enough for England in my view. It appears that Almunia (?spelling) is considering applying to be a British citizen and Capello is considering drafting him in. This may all be ill-informed speculation but it just shows you the lack of talent around.

Personally I'd have Kirkland in the squad than Carson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carson for me too. I am still undecided regards Weaver. He has pulled of some amazing saves but doesn't seem to be in control of his defence (that could just be the clowns in front of him) and i am still yet to see him actualy hold onto a ball
  • Options
    Villa fans don't have a good thing to say about Carson after last season
  • Options
    Kirkland? He is jokes!
  • Options
    Just shows the damage too many foreigners in the prem is doing. If you an english goalee in the prem then you're pretty much in contention to be england's number 1, simply as that. Capello has literally got a choice of 3 from 5 or 6
  • Options
    Shilton, Clemence, Corrigan, Rimmer, Phil Parkes x2 and as Chirpy says even Merv were all contenders in the seventies and I've probably missed somebody else out.

Carson for me is probably the best long term prospect based on what he did for us at any rate.

I don't think Almunia is any better than what we've got as Curbs would say.
  • Options
    I do admire you Len for getting Curbs name into a goalie thread! Mind you, I think Curbs was RUBBISH AT CAFC..... as a goalie ;-)

Didn't Kish go in goal once or twice?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I do admire you Len for getting Curbs name into a goalie thread! Mind you, I think Curbs was RUBBISH AT CAFC..... as a goalie ;-)

Didn't Kish go in goal once or twice?

Don't remember Kish ever keeping, Steve Brown yes but not Kish or are you extracting the urine?:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Kirkland? He is jokes!

Don't agree. His main problem apart from a shaky start when he was at Liverpool has been injuries but he seems to have shrugged them off now.

As for Carson, well he clearly had a wobbly season last year with Villa and the England fiasco but he's a decent keeper just not yet good enough for being Ist choice for England.

Weaver could be a brilliant keeper. He needs to improve his decision making in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I prefer Carson to Weaver but neither are good enough for England in my view. It appears that Almunia (?spelling) is considering applying to be a British citizen and Capello is considering drafting him in. This may all be ill-informed speculation but it just shows you the lack of talent around.

Personally I'd have Kirkland in the squad than Carson.

Just sums up how good Spain are at the moment, Almunia plays for one of the top 6-8 sides in Europe yet doesn't even make their squad. But then again their keepers play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Just sums up how good Spain are at the moment, Almunia plays for one of the top 6-8 sides in Europe yet doesn't even make their squad. But then again their keepers play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool!

Yeah thats right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I would chose Weaver over Carson everytime.

I'm gonna go ahead and assuming you was drunk here.

Weaver isnt good enough to do Carson's boots up
  • Options
    Carson was superb for us, simple as. Mainly because he got a lot of shot practice!!!

Yes Weaver is a good keeper in this division but that is a mile away from Prem class IMO. Did see him down before the Valley before the Wolves game when picking up tickets, by god is the man a mountain!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]Carson was superb for us, simple as. Mainly because he got a lot of shot practice!!!

Yes Weaver is a good keeper in this division but that is a mile away from Prem class IMO. Did see him down before the Valley before the Wolves game when picking up tickets, by god is the man a mountain![/quote]

That Peterborough keeper isn't good enough for the Premiership but he's good enough to make the England squad.

Can anyone tell me since Weaver started playing how many goals we've let in which were directly attributable to him 'cos Green could have been blamed for all three on Saturday alone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]

Don't remember Kish ever keeping, Steve Brown yes but not Kish or are you extracting the urine?:-)

Moi? Never!
  • Options
    Banks-Shilton-Seaman-??? England has built a reputation of having the best keepers in the world. I fear we haven't had one since Seaman retired.
  • Options
    Like wicket-keepers, Ames, Evans, Murray, Knott , Taylor....then nothing special at all.
  • Options
    A bit harsh on Alec Stewart who, whilst not quite in the same class as a gloves man hardly ever made a mistake behind the stumps and was by far the best batsman/keeper we've had.
  • Options
    Alan Knott was by far and away a better WK/Batsman than Stewart and indeed Les Ames was the best English WK/Bat by a mile.
    Alec Stewart made countless mistakes behind the stumps, he was very average.
  • Options
    I suspect those "rose tinted" Kent glasses are getting the better of you Chirpy. Alec Stewart did not make countless mistakes behind the stumps and probably not too many more than Knotty did. Knotty's reputation was built around his ability to keep to "deadly Derek" and whilst he was a very good number 7 his test average is not in the same league as Stewart's (even if it was not as good as when he was just an opener).

The acid test so far as Stewart is concerned is the fact that we've tried half a dozen keepers since he retired and not one has come up to the standards set by him.

As for Ames I'll have to bow to your better judgement as, unlike your good self, I never saw him playing!!!
  • Options
    Almunia isn't good eneough for England or Arsenal for that matter. I was chatting to an Arsenal supporting mate who agreed that Almunia has never made a match winning save like other top class keepers do, when was the last time that Almunia won a game in the same way Reina, Van Der Sar or James have?

Carson, Kirkland, Hart, James, Robinson, Green, Foster are all better keepers than Almunia and with the likes of the younger ones Heaton, Lewis, Martin coming through shortly to be playing in the PL, we'll be complaining that there are too many.

As for wicketkeepers, Knott was a great keeper and an ordinary bat Stewart was a good keeper and a good bat.