Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Taylor

. On an earlier thread called something like... People you used to hate but don't mind now....or something similar, I named Piers Morgan and Graham Taylor. Anyway forget Morgan for now.
Now I admit that in the early 90's I was queuing up like many to put the boot in on Taylor. He shouldn't have got the England job IMO and basically had a torrid time. His success had been a term at unfashionable Watford who he had lead through the divisions to the top and got them settled there for a bit, peaking with a losing FA Cup Final in '84 against Everton. He followed that with 2nd place in the top league with Aston Villa I believe. Hardly a history of success to earn the national job.
The FA in their wisdom had basically sacked Bobby Robson just before Italia '90, just when he seemed to be getting things right, admittedly after about 8 years!
To watch Taylor summarise on ITV made me squirm as we struggled through the group stages. Constant comments from the likes of Jim Rosenthal to Taylor about how he was going to do things different when he took over. To be fair to Taylor, he always started his answers with something like "..well whoever gets the job...etc.." Everyone knew Taylor was a done deal but at least he had the manners to wait until Robson had officially gone before publicly acknowledging such.
Anyway my point is, after listening to Graham Taylor over the years on 5Live and watching his documentary tonight on ITV, NO! Not that one, a new one made this year, he comes across as a man who knows football, loves English football and desperately wants us to succeed. So why oh why is he not employed in some capacity at the FA. The great Sir Trev is there and the more true football people there rather than faceless suits and County officials the better in my opinion.
Graham Taylor's skills and experience are being sorely wasted and the sooner he is involved in our national game in a official capacity the better I say!

Comments

• Options
    far too much red wine Chirpy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I know what you mean there Chirps, I watched that last nite and thought it was a good doc, Somehow though i cant see the gutter press ever changing the way they are with the England Mgr just because some of the ones they have gunned for the most reckon it will change the performance of the england team,

think Taylor should be placed on the disciplinay panel at the fa so atleast common sense can be put into some of their decisions as the man clearly loves the game and only wants it to be portraid in the correct light

come across last nite as real nice fella
  • Options
    well after reading that and all the spelling mistakes,too much red wine this morning for you as well..
  • Options
    your right there my head well hurts this morning

magners magners magners
  • Options
    Taylor always reminds me of my dad, same mannerisms, he even resembles him a little bit
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Taylor always reminds me of my dad, same mannerisms, he even resembles him a little bit

Maybe he is! ;-)

Have you ever seen them in the same room together?