Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

11+ exam predicament

13»

Comments

• Options
    I reckon she should be taught skills that will serve here well in adult life so try this one ----> http://www.ashburtoncookeryschool.co.uk/?gclid=CN_vka7XhpkCFQi7ZwodmEF3nQ
  • Options
    No,i want Jnr to join the University of MacDonalds!
    (When she is old enough)!
  • Options
    Well done to all those who got the school they wanted. I am so glad both my boys are already at secondary school as over the next few years it is going to get really tough in the Greenwich/Bexley area.
    Private schools such as Colfes and Eltham College are going to become less of an option to many as the financial downturn really kicks in.
    Be prepared for all those stories of people offering silly money for ordinary houses in the good school catchment areas.

And to Morts_Genius Jnr, you'll love BGS!
  • Options
    good luck to all the kids who didnt get the school they wanted as well.
  • Options
    My sister didn't get into the school she wanted, and got the 4th choice. Looks like she might end up at somewhere like Riverston
  • Options
    was watching a program about the 8 great questions in Maths zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 7 have been solved but one hasnt and the guy whose program it was is a proffessor of maths at Oxford he went to a Sec Modern school.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]How did all you other families get on?
    Thread?
    Hills?

Erith was our first choice which we didn't get. We got our second choice which was Cleeve Park. The only reason Erith was our first choice was due to distance. I'm really pleased with Cleeve Park, even though we live in Upper Abbeywood it really ticked all the boxes for us as a family apart for the distance. The best thing is that over the last 2/3 months she's suffered a bit of bullying and none of the bullies are going to Cleeve Park,. but her best mate from outside school is. And the fact that I drive to Sidcup for work everyday is a bonus for her!!

Well done to everyone who got what they wanted!!
  • Options
    Hills

Well that turned out good in the end!
    Apparently - year 9 is when the troubles really start!!!!

GOOD LUCK ALL!
  • Options
    Got all this next year, am not looking forward to it
  • Options
    Keep us posted BDL?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me my Mum wanted me in Borstall, I got Bloomfield Sec, pretty much the same ;-)
  • Options
    BGS is unlucky- they have ME!!

Lol it could get interesting if I start calling teachers by their first names...=]
  • Options
    Congratulations MGJ and good luck.

Be more interesting if you start calling them what you think of them!! :-)

Second thoughts best not, didn't work for me!
  • Options
    Hi TCE I was at that school Bloomfield, 1962-69, still keep in touch with a few people. As you know it went on to be Eaglefield where my younger brother went.....
    Despite all the 'issues' with the school I went on to get a degree and a post graduate qualification in teaching ( London University) .
    Some of the teacher's were very good, and a lot were dreadful. The Maths was especially poor! I am married to a teacher, and was one myself (very breifly) as well as being a school governor

I remember Smith as the Headteacher, and Halford as the music teacher, Hopkins was my form tutor, in the upper school.
    Do you remember the teacher that used to pull you up by your sideboards,and Coutts who used to throw chalk across the room to connect with your head to get your attention! be had up for GBH these days!
    Talk about 'school for scoundrels' run by scoundrels....***kin hell!
  • Options
    Ken, Bloomfield went on to be Woolwich Poly (Upper school).
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Ken, Bloomfield went on to be Woolwich Poly (Upper school).

Yeah, and it didn't improve!
    [cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Keep us posted BDL?

Will do. We are paying for extra tuition. OK, it gives my son an advantage but I was verbally attacked by one of the other parents for doing this, told it was unfair. Well ya boo sucks to you matey, if my son needs the help, then I will go without some luxuries to make sure he gets a head start. So far it seems to be working.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Ken, Bloomfield went on to be Woolwich Poly (Upper school).

[cite]Posted By: Morts-Genius[/cite]Keep us posted BDL?

Will do. We are paying for extra tuition. OK, it gives my son an advantage but I was verbally attacked by one of the other parents for doing this, told it was unfair. Well ya boo sucks to you matey, if my son needs the help, then I will go without some luxuries to make sure he gets a head start. So far it seems to be working.

Yeah, what a selfish prick you are BDL. Don't you know you should be spending your cash on buying your lad designer gear and computer games rather than putting all that education stuff in his head? :)

Things are getting tougher and tougher out there in the global job market and our kids have no God given right to employment over the millions of Indians and Chinese now competing for the same jobs we used to take for granted.

Once they leave school its too late, they have to put the work in now.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Ken, Bloomfield went on to be Woolwich Poly (Upper school).[/quote]

I thought or was told that Eaglsfield was the replacement for Bloomfield.( at least that is what my parents were told at the time)

When I went to Bloomfield it was a secondary modern and Woolwich poly was a 'technical school' in other words you had to pass your 11 plus. I failed my 11 plus and was written off at the age of 10 and sent to the scrap heap of a school called Bloomfield. No private tutoring etc, I was not even told about the 11+,( Sherrington school) just came in and sat the exam. I was lucky somehow I passed 5 GCE's and 3 grade 1 CSE's and Bloomfield and we had 20 lads in the 6th form. 3 of us went on to further education at the time, 1 obtained a University place. Me and the other pupil went onto Art college and then onto teacher training.
    I fully appreciate any parent wanting to provide the best possible circumstances/ education for there child. In Bexley they have the selective test which IMO is both devisive and does not test a childs ability, but a part of it. Creativity, no chance as an example..
    Where I work everyone has a degree,( even the security/parking) but very few go on to use the knowledge that they gained from it. I was educated in the days of grants, and when only a minority of people went on to further education. A good education is the key to both personnel goals and possible introductions to exciting job prospects. But with fifty per cent of pupils now trying to gain a degree, are there the jobs out there for them!. My organisation still selects from private schools and Oxford and Cambridge for over 90 percent of its higher management structure, and despite a sustained campaign publicly to support equality over several years has barely scratched the surface. I am unsure quite what the answer is, but getting a degree is not the whole answer!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Hi TCE I was at that school Bloomfield, 1962-69, still keep in touch with a few people. As you know it went on to be Eaglefield where my younger brother went.....
    Despite all the 'issues' with the school I went on to get a degree and a post graduate qualification in teaching ( London University) .
    Some of the teacher's were very good, and a lot were dreadful. The Maths was especially poor! I am married to a teacher, and was one myself (very breifly) as well as being a school governor

I remember Smith as the Headteacher, and Halford as the music teacher, Hopkins was my form tutor, in the upper school.
    Do you remember the teacher that used to pull you up by your sideboards,and Coutts who used to throw chalk across the room to connect with your head to get your attention! be had up for GBH these days!
    Talk about 'school for scoundrels' run by scoundrels....***kin hell!

Hi Ken, I remember "Smithy" he loved to cane me, Halford he hated me, Coutts who asked for me to be expelled for returning a blackboard rubber with interrest, was "Harry" Gardener the maths teacher? he liked me a little bit, until he caught me fighting while seperating me and whoever it was and I caught him on the side of the head trying to get a cheap shot in while he held back the other boy, after that he had no time for me. I learn't absolutely nothing at school, I thought the world was against me, me and a certain o'Dowd of the well known "Boy George" clan ran riot in that place!! Do you remember him supplying some booze from a well known local golfcourse that happened to be on his paper round? or me taking live bullets to into school and along with others hitting them with bricks until they exploded, what a little B*****D I was did nothing until I was in my late when I trained as an Engineer, which is what I do now.
  • Options

Oli, Bloomfield went on to join up with Shootershill Grammer school and Became Eaglesfield Comp. The first day on the hill was like watching an old St Trinians films with the "posh kids" getting bashed by the "toerags" with not a knife in sight. Lol, Those were the days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Halford he hated me".

I was at Chis & Sid between 1970 and 1977 and Halford was the name of the Head of Music during that time. Given that he always used to give me the creeps, it sounds as if it might be the one and the same.

"My organisation still selects from private schools and Oxford and Cambridge for over 90 percent of its higher management structure, and despite a sustained campaign publicly to support equality over several years has barely scratched the surface. I am unsure quite what the answer is, but getting a degree is not the whole answer!"

My wife's firm has just recruited half a dozen graduates almost exclusively from Oxbridge. It is not just the quality of their degrees that count but everything else that they bring to the party i.e. sporting and other extra curicular success. That is their yardstick and whether that is right or wrong is open to debate but unless there is some sort of Govermental directive that will always be the way. Mind you, in this climate, with a starting basic salary of 35K plus 10k guaranteed minimum bonus they probably have every right to demand what they perceive to be the "best".

The biggest challenge for kids is what subjects to take at "A" and degree levels. Gone are the days when a decent degree guaranteed a job commensurate with that level of achievement and for that reason students really need to have some sort of idea as to what they want to do when they leave education. It is, however, a lot easier to mix and match subjects now then it was in my day when you were either "modern" or "science". My eldest is currently doing his GCSEs and thinks he wants to be a sports journalist or to work in the City. Fortunately for him his school (St Olaves) do allow students to combine English, Maths and Economics and this will help him to defer any decisions in that regard for a couple of years at least.
  • Options
    Qualifications open doors and give opportunities so I would always advise youngsters to obtain qualifications if possible.

However it is equally as important to have the self-confidence and temperament to make the most of those qualifications otherwise you can still end up as plankton in the job market rather than a shark.

To put in Charlton terms the Danny Murphy's are more appreciated than the Kishishevs even though the Kishishevs are an integral part of any success.

It is the Murphys who receive the recognition and remuneration because they have the ability to take the credit for the good things or drop someone else in the mire for the bad.

Kishishevs are too honest for their own good.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments T.C.E.
    I have to second your comments about Halford, he seemed to love bullying young lads.He did not stand up to my buddies dad who was a prison officer when he came up to the school( unheard of in those days). In fairness he got Lou Martin the school 'pet' to play piano who went on to play with the Rory Gallagher band, Rory was a legend even amongst guitar players and many rate him better than Clapton! So I guess we had one famous pupil.
    Regarding the Oxbridge private school debate that I reffered to Addick might surprise you that the organisation I was referring to is that lefty, commie run infested bastion the BBC!, although I am unsure about the 35k starting salary, more like £18,000 after two years on a temp contract as a broadcast asst. Good luck to your lad being a sports journalist, he is also up against the likes of Matthew Pinsett, and others like Mark Bright , but in the end if they are good enough then they will get there, it is just that the drop out rate is so high!

The last thing I want to do is put kids off trying to acheive, and having a goal. All I am saying is that the degree gets you the opportunity to apply, and a wider appreciation of the world,and time to think, not a meal ticket for life!
    But I still do a job that I like doing, despite being made redundant twice ( something that they do not mention in the media world too much) but it comes with the job, and you have to have a inner confidence, or in my case, a lot of luck, and a sense of self belief.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Posted By: Chirpy Red Jnr
    Bexley Grammar is a great school. I go there and i'm in year 9.

Posted By: Chirpy Red
    And so does his little brother!
    I thought you were asleep!

LOL Best thing i've read today
  • Options
    Kirkman rules :)