Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home end - Away Support

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
Again, I had aways supporters seated next to me on saturday (East Stand). Although they were quiet and well behaved, they did become more animate as the clocked ran down. One of the fans did jump up when they scored but sat down just as quickly. I didnt know whether to say anything but did look over to the woman steward who appeared to do nothing but look directly back. Eventually, the big guy steward did appear but it was far to late to bother doing anything.

I must admit that I am in two minds on what to do. They Everton fans were well behaved, apart from the fan who stood up when they scored. And I think the guy seating next to me was from London (he may have been an addick fan as he did stand up and clapped when the addicks scored. On the one hand they should have been reported and thrown into jail for having the audacity to be in the addicks territory. But on the other, they were as I said were well behaved and quite complimentary about the addicks (and not in the covered end). And as football fans they should not be treated like third class citizens (as we know we all football fans are).

What would you have done?

Comments

• Options
    I would have told the geezer who jumped up to sit on his hands & have a bit or respect for where he was, as I am sure he would not apprecaite it happening to him at his. Other than that not a lot you can say if they are just quitely watching the game.
  • Options
    I would have lamped him one SCOUSE bin dipper
  • Options
    i've mellowed a bit. As long as they are not taking the p1ss in anyway, i couldn't really care for 89 mins. Yet nick a last minute goal and then they jump up would push me over the edge.

Iff you're going to go in a home end, do your homework and make sure you're in a safe bit.
  • Options
    headbutt him down the staircase
  • Options
    I would have asked him if he wanted a nice cup of warming soup from my thermos and asked if he fancied sharing my car rug
  • Options
    Again, I had aways supporters seated next to me on saturday (East Stand)

So you didn't ask him to siddarn?
  • Options
    Hmmmm - must admit, I took an Everton supporting mate into the east stand on Sat..what block are you in Solidgone? He was well behaved, stood up when Charlton scored and only nearly lost it once when McFadden was running at HH, but soon composed himself...so don't think it was him...am sure he didn't stand up when they scored, but could be mistaken I guess as I put my head in my hands.

As you can tell, i think it's fine to have away fans in the home end 'if' they behave themselves, as I have done it myself at other grounds a number of times (Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, when it's always difficult to get tickets)
  • Options
    i've sat in the home end too as im sure many others have done. horrible tho. i had a man city supporting mate sat with me during their game and be damned anyone who complains. he was quiet throughout the game and we enjoyed a little bit of quiet banter. i would never bring anyone who would take the pee. ever.
  • Options
    We had that chap off of Eastenders sneaking around the Upper North a few seasons back. I think he is Gus in it - the roadsweeper. My lot assumed that he was Arsenal (who we were playing), but he kept himself to himself. We were losing convincingly at the time!
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    i have been guilty of getting tickets for mates that support other clubs.
    they have always 'sat on their hands' because they appreciate the trouble they could cause me if there was any bother.
    with our season ticket sales down, wouldn't it be possible to have the end block of the east stand, (jimmy seed stand end), as a neutral area ala fulham. then this could be sold on a match to match basis with season ticket holders transferring their seat for that game to sit with their away supporting mates. there shouldn't be trouble as all supporters would know what they're buying into.
    or even the unused bit of the jimmy seed stand when full allocation isn't taken
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i have been guilty of getting tickets for mates that support other clubs.
    they have always 'sat on their hands' because they appreciate the trouble they could cause me if there was any bother.
    with our season ticket sales down, wouldn't it be possible to have the end block of the east stand, (jimmy seed stand end), as a neutral area ala fulham. then this could be sold on a match to match basis with season ticket holders transferring their seat for that game to sit with their away supporting mates. there shouldn't be trouble as all supporters would know what they're buying into.
    or even the unused bit of the jimmy seed stand when full allocation isn't taken

Paul- interesting idea but it would just water our "support" down even more so. THis wouldn't stop season ticket holders lending a ticket to a mate of another club as they wouldn't have to pay for another ticket.

In my opinion anyone who sits in the opposition end and celebrates when they score is fair game for a slap. It's the chance you take.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]
    In my opinion anyone who sits in the opposition end and celebrates when they score is fair game for a slap. It's the chance you take.

I agree. May sound neanderthal but its just something that's not done.

JohnboyUK on here has sat with me when we've played Spurs, and i've brought Man U mate before, but i only have done that because i knew they would be respectful and keep quiet.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    jimbrannin- agree with the 'slap-a-celebrator' theory,
    but the fact is this season the shortfall of a sellout were as follows.
    man utd 1800 (400-500 of those due to ground restrictons)
    bolton 3600
    pompey 1100
    arsenal 500
    man city 1100
    everton 800
    watford 100
    (i am pretty sure when our attendances are calculated, it is assumed that all season ticket holders are present otherwise there would have been only 100 empty seats at watford match.

i think there are several cafc fans who know london based supporters of these sides with the exception of perhaps bolton, watford and pompey.
    being london based they probably don't manage to go to their home games therefore wont qualify for an away ticket. i think that it wouldn't be that difficult to make this a goer as long as the cafc season-ticket holder accepts responsibility for their 'guest'.
    who knows, when they do visit and realise how cheap our tickets are they may become regulars themselves (i know people who used to go to spurs, man u, liverpool and west ham who are now season ticket holders at cafc).
  • Options
    I can see you're logic PBS, but it would break my heart to see sections of the East Stand openly go up when the away team score, a la Fulham.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    while we are talking about away fans in the east, are we giving wycombe seats there?
    further more, if we do will we be opening ourselves up to have to give 25% in the third round of the f.a.cup if we draw chelsea/spurs or the like.
    to me, if we can safely accomodate 3000 wycombe fans in the east then chels/spurs have the right to those seats as well (in the cup).
    i'll start a new thread with this.
  • Options
    i like others have been in the home end at a few away groundfs over the years. i can remember going to Ewood Park on a cup match when we won 1-o i think pitcher scored, but could be wrong. my dad's boss was a big rover's fan with season tickets for all the family. i can remember jumping up when i think we got the late winner, and my dad in his wisdom dragging my arm and me back into the seat. i know visitors in home areas shouldn't cheer a goal, but having been in that position it really is hard not to acknowledge a goal. remember,this was charlton winning a cup match away. i mean that is like 'rocking horse s**t'.
  • Options
    Charlton Charlie - E block row W

My gripe really is that there are two spare seats next to me (previous season ticket holders did not renew) and my mate is trying to swop his seat for one of them. When he contacts the tickets office (commercial centre - in new money) they say the seat has been sold and to try next time. This has been going on for some time but the piss take is that the tickets are sometimes bought by away supporters.
  • Options
    It takes me back to when we played Newcastle at home in the FA Cup some years back. I couldn't get a ticket but a Newcastle mate of mine had a spare, so I ended sitting amongst the zebras. When we scored there was this one lone figure standing in the away end. I came out of it unscathed but for some reason my mate denied all knowledge of me.
  • Options
    Solidegone, this brings me to tetchy teritory with box office, last season there was a series of different people sitting next to me in the North Stand, so when I made an application to re-new in the summer nice and early I also made an application for my son who is 5 to sit next to me, I know the 2 seats to my right were not season ticket sales.

Now I have a boy and his dad with season tickets sitting next to me, they are Charlton supporters.

However -I know they don't want too may singles in the North Upper- but my renewal and my sons application must have been in prior to the new guys sitting next to me so why weren't he dealt with first as a priority...Just wound me up a tad.

Although I may have had to moderate 'my match day experience' a bit more with my son in tow....