Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Swanky Central London Restraunts (non Foreign) Recommendations

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Any recommended places other than the Ivy and oxo for good grub in a poncy surrounding.

Comments

• Options
    hakkassan.
  • Options
    hmmmm hakkassan... what type of food is that then?
  • Options
    Sheikhy food i believe!
  • Options
    Any of the Ramsey restaurants - all of them good.....
  • Options
    I'm not sure what British cuisine isn't technically 'foreign'! I'm a big fan of Hakkassan myself but probably not for you if you aren't into 'foreign' places

I can agree with Charlton Charlie the Gorden Ramsey pubs are all very good, although maybe not poncy enough for you? I've taken some overseas visitors to the Narrow over by Limehouse the food is about as British as you can get!
  • Options
    Maze and Claridges all very swanky - modern European cuisine tho I guess.... Murano is 'Italian' and great....

Boxwood cafe is 'English' and good, slightly less 'poncey'..

If you want 'out and out English', then Rules in Covent Garden is probablywhat you're looking for...not really 'poncey' tho....
  • Options
    Manze's Pie and Mash on Tower Bridge Road....

Very very English!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]hmmmm hakkassan... what type of food is that then?

d'oh,i missed the non foreign bit.how about the chop house next to le pont de la tour,good grub though not overly poncey.
  • Options
    I went to Rules in Maiden Lane last week. The place absolutely blew me away. I don't imagine the menu has changed much in the last 100 years. Went there with some yanks as it's the oldest restaurant in London & I thought they were gonna knock one out when we walked in there. It's very 'gamey' & not cheap. If you like grouse, wood pigeon, pheastant etc it's a must. I went for roe deer & pheasant terrine to start & steak & kidney pudding with oysters & savoy cabbage for main. There were a table of old boys behind us drinking G&T's & toasting every five minutes. Hope you get the picture.
  • Options
    highly recomment Boxwood cafe - as Charlton charlie says not at all poncey and the food is just magnificent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    St Albans

The Woolsey

Scotts

Roast

all very good and all in west end apart from Roast which is in bough market.
  • Options
    Smiths of Smithfield, Bleeding Heart, Chop House plus I do love Roast and the Wolesley.
  • Options
    Gaucho Grill in the West End, City or at the 02.

Argentinian steak house, that does a fillet to die for.

Great value, great food and great service.

At the 02, you get complimentary wine-tasting thrown in for nothing. (lah-dee-dah!!)
  • Options
    Canteen

This place is awesome
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Gaucho Grill in the West End, City or at the 02.

At the 02, you get complimentary wine-tasting thrown in for nothing. (lah-dee-dah!!)

Truly tremendous restaurants!

Washed down with a nice Malbec and you are in heaven
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Gaucho Grill in the West End, City or at the 02.

Truly tremendous restaurants!

Washed down with a nice Malbec and you are in heaven

^^^^ This. Top drop of vino that....
  • Options
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20080216/23/1326588156-soccer-coca-cola-football-league-championship-charlton-athletic-v-watford.jpg&imgrefurl=http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16022008/8/photo/general-view-fans-burger-van-outside-valley-stadium.html&h=300&w=449&sz=20&hl=en&start=32&um=1&usg=__TEmm98l0rw8URZQ9haDAgrQU2GM=&tbnid=F6tjPiGa1p6CkM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bvalley%2Bfootball%2Bstadium%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN

looks worth a try.
  • Options
    If you fancy a really nice roast dinner in a place full of history and old school elegance, try Simpsons on the Strand! Not overly pricey.
  • Options
    Roast - Borough Market. Lots of british food (oysters, smoked salmon, beef, partridge etc) and even some great English sparkling wine, whites and reds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    I'd also recommend Simpsons;

http://www.simpsonsinthestrand.co.uk/

But also the Skylon at the Festival Hall;

http://www.skylonrestaurant.co.uk/

Both top quality and quite poncey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]I went to Rules in Maiden Lane last week. The place absolutely blew me away. I don't imagine the menu has changed much in the last 100 years. Went there with some yanks as it's the oldest restaurant in London & I thought they were gonna knock one out when we walked in there. It's very 'gamey' & not cheap. If you like grouse, wood pigeon, pheastant etc it's a must. I went for roe deer & pheasant terrine to start & steak & kidney pudding with oysters & savoy cabbage for main. There were a table of old boys behind us drinking G&T's & toasting every five minutes. Hope you get the picture.

No sausage beans and chips then?
  • Options
    Ahh Rules - used to go to a lot of press lunches in the private rooms upstairs (now closed for refit I think) - went 4 times one week and in the fourth Eddie the maitreD asks if I was coming on the Friday - "we got one on..." he said.

how about Simpsons in the Strand - beef! or even better Langhans - http://www.langansrestaurants.co.uk/
  • Options
    Had a six course lunch at the Ritz about £110 a head + wine last year very very good - absolutely sublime lamb.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham Addick[/cite]If you fancy a really nice roast dinner in a place full of history and old school elegance, try Simpsons on the Strand! Not overly pricey.

I went to Simpsons last New Year.

Next to the Savoy, very old school as Elts says, oak panelled dining hall, trad food, trad service and very polite.
    Like an old 50's English black & white film set.