Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Last night

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
last night we pummeled city for about 20 moins having about 8 efforts on goal and missing some good chances, pardew changed the shape with varney gray and bouzza playing as a front 3 and it worked. But we missed some great chances the keeper made some good saves and we hit the post. Then we lost the ball 30 yards from our own goal and went one down. Suddenly we didn't look the same side. The confidence in the team seems so fragile - I don't think the expectation helps here, and the crowed turn on the team abit when things don't go our way. They need some steel and belief but where this can come from who knows. I guess its pards job.

For the record though, I thought pards got it very right tactically and totally outwitted Johnson, Hence our early dominance (which was imense bTW - 3 shots in the first 3 mins) ITs not his fault we couldnt tuck any chances away. Stick with it guys we are still only 6 off the play offs.

Comments

• Options
    Agreed.

Shame the mistake killed them espc bailey who didn't turn up for the 2nd half
  • Options
    the crowd never turned on them after the first went in.

Their heads dropped. That isn't down to us.
  • Options
    Carl is right, don't blame the crowd in any way last night. It was visable how the confidence drained in the players once the first went in.

Everyone says how great we did in the first 20. Well the bottom line was we failed to score in our best period of the game when the opposition were clearly all at sea with the formation we started with. They also had a cracking chance to score in that period as well.

Of course we want the crowd to be more supportive than it currently is, or has been in the 8 months, but you have to weigh that against these are fans of a team that are consistently underperforming.
  • Options
    What Superclive said...

Stats from last night

Possession
    Charlton 52% Bristol 48%

SonT
    Charlton 13 Bristol 10

SoffT
    Charlton 9 Bristol 7

Corners
    Charlton 9 Bristol 5

Fouls
    Charlton 12 Bristol 18

We just need a little luck and some of Rothko's hope, IMHO
  • Options
    finally met tel last night that was the only positive.
  • Options
    I agree with a lot of the posts above.

I still believe in that shambles there is a half decent team but as one of the more positive of the posters on the board i'm beginning to question whether Pards is the man that can find that half decent team
  • Options
    Same old story, we can't take our chances.

When we go a goal down we rarely get back into it.

Since Curbs left we've been in freefall almost.

Pardew started last season alright but since January we have been awful bar a couple of results. And we could easily slip into League One.
  • Options
    'Pardew started last season alright but since January we have been awful bar a couple of results. And we could easily slip into League One. '

Since January - we sold our only creative midfielder.
  • Options
    Last night was a repeat of a huge percentage of our games this season. Ability wise the team are a top 10 (maybe higher) side. Mentally we are F*****d. To a man following Bailey's cockup heads dropped and nobody wanted the ball.

The first half hour showed we can play good football, the next hour showed that we need more than just coaching and spin from Pardew. They need to spend some money not on a replacement midfielder/striker/defender, we need to spend it on a top notch sports psychologist and we need to spend it now.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the first half and we played some great stuff, we have definitely got the players to be top 4 but there is clearly a real problem with confidence. Fortunately we have got another chance to address that on Saturday- until now I have always believed in giving Pards until the end of the season, but if we don't win two of the next four games then I am afraid we have no choice but to bring in a new manager.

We need the rub of the green on Saturday and to drop Varney (he will be better for it) and Youga (undisciplined and inconsistent - I would sell in January).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Veiwing from afar, relying on reports on Sky and the BBC, it seems that we are on top in almost every game we play, we miss at least one great chance (seems to be Varney most of the time), then go 1-0 down due to an error, and then never look like getting back in the game.

I like Pards, but you have to question his motivational skills as you see this pattern repeated time after time.