Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton call for Jordan to be charged

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
from the Daily Mirror:

CHARLTON have demanded the FA char ge Cr ystal Palace owner Simon Jordan to stop him waging a one-man war against them and other clubs.

Jordan has threatened to sue after Charlton avoided paying a £1million compensation clause in Iain Dowie's contract.

Dowie is already the subject of legal action from Jordan after being released by Palace in May so he could work nearer his family home in Bolton. He took over at The Valley as manager a week later.

But Charlton deny poaching Dowie and insist the job had been offered to someone else.
It is understood that was Derby manager Billy Davies. When he turned down the chance to succeed Alan Curbishley the Addicks then moved for Dowie, who was by then a free agent.

Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein and Birmingham City supremo David Sullivan have also been targets for verbal attacks by Jordan.

Last month he fired a four-letter rant at Dowie after his sacking by Charlton. He claimed Dowie did not know how to handle available to him by willing TV companies, newspapers and radio stations to level accusations, contradictory statements and foulmouthed abuse at Charlton, me, the club's supporters and other Premiership and Football League chairmen.

"The nature and viciousness of his latest outburst in the Mirror on November 21 does nothing but damage to the image of the professional game in this country. Indeed if such an outburst had come from a high-profile player then I'm sure a letter and charge from the Football Association would follow swiftly."

Murray said Charlton had already written to demand "firm and decisive action" by the FA.

Jordan had questioned Dein's integrity, dismissed Manchester United and Arsenal as "bulls*** worlds full of bulls*** people", told how he would not mind "beating up" Sullivan and called the FA idiots.

But it was the attack on Charlton over Dowie that most angered Murray. He added: "Simon Jordan has long maintained in his media pronouncements that he will one day bring a legal action against our club for poaching his former manager Iain Dowie.

"Indeed he now appears to promise it. Well bring it on I say, so that he and Crystal Palace put their evidence before a court and we can then defend ourselves in the proper way.

"There are some inescapable facts. On the day Iain Dowie left Crystal Palace we offered the job of head coach at our club to another manager.

"Sadly, our preferred candidate did not take up the offer. We restarted our recruitment process, which ended up with Iain Dowie becoming our head coach."

Comments

• Options
    I'll give Jordan approximately 5 seconds before he is coming back with a retort on Sky Sports News
  • Options
    i always believed this would be settled in quiet, but it seems to be becoming more deep-rooted the longer it runs.

I think the chances of this all coming out in court are increasing by the week...
  • Options
    I'd love to see him hauled over the coals for this.

Big mouthed bully with no class
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]I'd love to see him hauled over the coals for this.

Big mouthed bully with no class

And perma tan!
  • Options
    He's already on a 'suspended sentence' with the FA for some quotes about referees in his Observer column.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    its hard to keep quiet when week after week he's publicly ridiculing the club. One article i read before we sacked dowie made me cringe to my toes the way he talked about us. and this last one has been even more vitriolic. i wonder does murray half regret the end of season dust up in the board room?

did mourinho get into trouble for calling Wenger a Voyeur last year? pardew and wenger in front of the FA due to their pitch side argument. im surprised the FA havent called him in yet. or are they scared of him?
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Perhaps he doesn't register on their radar unless actually attcking THEM (the ref incident) as he's in the fizzy pop league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]"There are some inescapable facts. On the day Iain Dowie left Crystal Palace we offered the job of head coach at our club to another manager.
    "Sadly, our preferred candidate did not take up the offer. We restarted our recruitment process, which ended up with Iain Dowie becoming our head coach."

Funny but that's not what he said on 6th June....

Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray has reaffirmed that Iain Dowie was the club's number one choice to replace Alan Curbishley.

"Iain was the first choice,” Richard began. "But we did suggest to him that Les and Mark should be considered in the roles they now have.

"Peter Taylor was interviewed and gave a good interview but I think Hull were putting a bit of pressure on him and he felt that if he wasn't going to get this job he might be putting myself in a difficult position, so he made the decision to withdraw which was fine.

"And we also met with Billy Davies, he was quite an impressive character.

"But once we'd met with Iain, he was the better choice."
  • Options
    That could well be "our preferred choice of those that were interviewed did not take up the offer" and the Dowie was interviewed after...
  • Options
    I'm sure that is what the lawyers will say....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Iain dowie was the first choice when he came available NOT when he was still in the job down the road
  • Options
    At the time they offered the job to Billy Davies, they hadn't met with Dowie.
  • Options
    i think its fair to say there will be murk surrounding both sides.

However, i find it staggering that Jordan hasn't been pulled up. If Warnock did an interview calling Mourinho a gutless twat for example, he would have the book thrown at him.

The official bodies may either

a. have their heads in the sand
    b. are avoiding the issue because they know dealing with Jordan is more hassle than its worth
    c. biding their time, giving him rope, and waiting to hit him with a big, big charge

I hope its c, but i know full well its one of the other two. The only time he will be sorted properly will be when Palace fans turn, realising he is harming their club. It may take a charge that damages their club rather than petty change in Jordan's pockets before they come to that conclusion though.
  • Options
    I'm not suggesting that there were any covert meetings prior to Dowie leaving palace however I have always thought that when we appointed Dowie it wasn't because he was the best man for the job but because he was the only candidate prepared to have his back room staff chosen for him.
  • Options
    i wonder does murray half regret the end of season dust up in the board room?

This I suspect is the root of the problem, but had Murray not made the ETCYT comment it would be something else. The best thing for CAFC to do is keep quiet and when/if Jordan does sue then complain to the FA.

As for why the FA are keeping quiet, I reckon it could have something to do with Max Clifford, he's very adept at getting his clients media coverage and rather than feed his conspiracy theories they too are waiting for him to shut up.
  • Options
    i love the fact that the Nigels pretend they don't care about us - obviously because if they did admit to any rivalry, we are in pretty much every sense superior to them

and yet here is their chairman foaming at the mouth with hatred for us

i kind of like Jordan, he is a character - an orange, half-witted, cheap & tacky one at that - but at this time of year especially we all love the pantomime villains

arrogant, pompous, big mouthed but of course destined for a comedy big fall

he's behind you!!
  • Options
    On the really serious side - you have two sets of rival supporters who dont even need an excuse to get stuck into each other. What's going on at the moment will be adding fuel to the fire, and will make for a very interesting atmosphere the next time we play the nigels.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

at this time of year especially we all love the pantomime villains

oh no we dont...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]On the really serious side - you have two sets of rival supporters who dont even need an excuse to get stuck into each other. What's going on at the moment will be adding fuel to the fire, and will make for a very interesting atmosphere the next time we play the nigels.

You make a good point there geez, its gonna be a real messy affir if and when we play em next! Imagine the nigels at sellout in a 3rd rounder fa cup! It'll be interesting!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 04 MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]On the really serious side - you have two sets of rival supporters who dont even need an excuse to get stuck into each other. What's going on at the moment will be adding fuel to the fire, and will make for a very interesting atmosphere the next time we play the nigels.

You make a good point there geez, its gonna be a real messy affir if and when we play em next! Imagine the nigels at sellout in a 3rd rounder fa cup! It'll be interesting!

No, it will be fine for the fans. Just the people in the Directors' box that will have a hard time, ha ha. oh, hang on a minute....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2006

Good point 1905.... Ring side seat on Blackheath?
  • Options
    "Good point 1905.... Ring side seat on Blackheath? "

Ring side seat!! What do you mean ringside seat? 1905 isnt too old for a scrap up on Blackheath.

Actually he is............... put me down for a spectators seat near the Prince of Wales pub (make that in it!).
  • Options
    wasn't one of the reasons Brian Cole was sacked was on the point that it could of stirred tensions ??
  • Options
    Plus it was hardly his first offence. His introduction of Micheal Gray the full back on more than one occasion was far from respectful IMHO.