Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards after-match interview

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
That goal may have turned our season around. Toddy looked good and we can move on from here.

Comments

• Options
    We shall see, massively looked better in the second half, the passion was back to a degree, mid table here we come!
  • Options
    I think in some ways that Pardew made some big decisions today and he has to be praised for that.

He changed the starting line up considerably, and OK it didn't come off and the first half was awful, but if he hadn't made changes he would have got stick for not having the balls to change it around. Bringing on Todorov and Sam at half-time was a great decision though.

I think today showed that Moo2 and Todorov have to be 2 of the first names on the teamsheet now. Josh Wright showed great potential and I'd have no problem seeing him playing a bigger part from now on.

On a worrying note, the form of Bailey is dropping fast. Hope it's only a blip though.
  • Options
    thought bailey improved alot second half, and really seemed to want the ball again, went completely missing first half thou.

glad pard shook it up abit, and thought the crowd were excellent again, 2nd half we were spot on, and thought the little humour after the first shot really ignited us all, that and the woefull referee
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]We shall see, massively looked better in the second half, the passion was back to a degree, mid table here we come!

Some of the passion was there but the table still doesn't lie. We are still 5th from bottom which is too close to be comfortable.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think we should be careful in saying Todorov's goal could turn our season. That's one of those daft Pardew-type comments. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say we've turned anything until we win two games on the spin - something we haven't managed in 11 months, I believe.

But second half was as good as we've been since Reading and Pards is right - under the circs , a point did feel like a win (which only goes to show how low we've sunk - in normal times, we'd regard it as two home points dropped!)

But I don't want to spoil the party : Wright did well; Sam was splendid but needs to play like that every week;Ambrose was excellent second half and hopefully has found his position. Basey was good in parts and I'd like to see Shelvey in there,too, in a really youthful, combative midfield that harries the opposition off the ball through their energy and ambition, if not their skill and maturity. And Moots has hopefully now done enough to convince the manager he's the man for the job.

Two poor games from Bailey in five days, though - that is a worry. And Varney should have won it. How many gilt edged chances has he now missed this season ?

Another positive - the most coherent post-match comments we've heard from Pardew in a long time, although I think the Izzy experiment takes some explaining. One trusts his 45 mins of anonymity puts him back behind Gray and Dickson (and even Fleetwood!) in the pecking order...
  • Options
    According to Pards, Cranie was 'brilliant' in the second half. Comparatively so maybe, in that he started to pass the ball to our players, but I'm not sure he was all that great.

All in all, my glass is half empty after that performance. The second half was obviously better, but I thought we were just so poor in the first half.

We're not going to get very far if we can't put two decent 45 minute spells together, let alone two games in a row.
  • Options
    Cranie was playing out of position... anyone know any decent leftbacks otherwise I might try out?
  • Options
    I'm pleased that Pards changed things at half time. Quite honestly if we were allowed ten outfield substitutes he should have got rid of them all, perhaps bar McLeod and Moo2. What worries me slightly is the lack of link up play in the first half mean't that we just couldn't get going. How did Pards think that starting line up was going to work?

Still credit it him with the balls to change it at half time.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ReddyRascals[/cite]Cranie was playing out of position... anyone know any decent leftbacks otherwise I might try out?[/quote]

Chris Powell in the Jan window?
  • Options
    'But second half was as good as we've been since Reading .... '

that sounds promising...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yea against Reading we were really good so if we can get to that level consistantly we will be ok.
  • Options
    Ive got a feeling that Bailey is playing with an injury see him touch his hamstring whilst grimising throughout yesterdays match.

Saying Mcleoud wasnt much cope is a bit harsh since no one knew how to pass the ball in the 1st half.
  • Options
    I was not at all impressed with McLeod........though sub-ing him won't have done a lot to improve his confidence!
  • Options
    Think Pardew is as perplexed as the rest of us with regard to this Charlton team.
  • Options
    I think on reflection that Pards may have told him that he was going to just play the first half, bearing in mind he is only just back from a very long lay off. Clearly Pards doesn't think Tody is fit enough to play a whole game yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Ive got a feeling that Bailey is playing with an injury see him touch his hamstring whilst grimising throughout yesterdays match.

Saying Mcleoud wasnt much cope is a bit harsh since no one knew how to pass the ball in the 1st half.

Didn't notice that about Bailey. I thought he was still thinking about his howler last Tuesday.
  • Options
    Reckon you're right Henry. After that mistake on Tuesday Bailey looked mortified. He seemed to carry that into yeaterday's game and clearly had a poorer game than he's capable of, but like several others, I was really encouraged by his refusal to hide. During hard times the mistakes that might otherwise be overlooked are magnified and can almost paralyse weak characters, but I felt the likes of Basey, Bailey, Moo2, Sam, and Varney, who all dropped some clangers, kept on wanting the ball, and trying to make amends. Even Ambrose, after an anonymous first half, threatened to win the game as it went on.
  • Options
    Toddy and Izale have both had long lay offs and it will take time to get match fit for 90 minutes.

I think in their different ways they both did some good things (Toddy to more effect as he scored) but Pards is right to "nurse" them for a bit. There is a case for regarding them as "one" player at the moment albeit with contrasting qualities.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Not forgetting that A.P will soon be history- in the word's of that bastion of truth the Sunday People 'Alan Curbishley set for SET FOR cHARLTON RETURN' (the small c for Charlton is their's by the way. He will be returning on the basis that Pard's is making 'outspoken demands that the club sort out the takeover' they went on to say that a woman in the carpark at asda charlton said 'with the club in such a lowly position the manager had no right to shout his mouth off over boardroom matters' the source then went onto moan about the 17% price hike on parsnips on the vegetable aisle and Ken Barlow's position with Deidre in corrie.
  • Options
    Nice one Pilchard. Are they genuinely claiming to have a source (other than the carpark woman)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Toddy's goal could have changed our season around Varney's miss could provew very costly all a load of bollox
  • Options
    We've lost 9 games out of 15 in a division we should be doing pretty well in. If a second half goal from Todorov is going to change all that around, I'll be amazed.
  • Options
    We've lost 9 games out of 15 in a division we should be doing pretty well in. If moaning is going to change all that around, I'll be amazed.
  • Options
    yer let's just accept we're shite lookie
  • Options
    to paddy7 - A disgruntled fryer operator at Mc Donalds bugsby way was also questioned! Other than that pure speculative tosh on a slow news day
  • Options
    thought the team pardew picked looked so lightweight he took abig gamble and got away with it 1st half we was awful 2nd half brought on toddy and hurts me to say lloyd sam and we looked so muchbetter we had passion and fight which we are gonna need for the rest of the season .
  • Options
    Pards said before the match he wanted to tighten things up at the back ....... so obviously, he set his stall out to play deeper and hit Burnley on the break with 2 speedy forwards.

In other words, play like an away side - even at home.

All playing deeper did, was to allow Burnley to press us and when they got to our 18 yard line, found themseves within shooting distance.

Result: we barely got out of our half for long periods, playing at home.

At least Pards had the guts to realise that the home side should surely play like a home side.
    So credit due for putting 2 ball players on and allowing the side to have some semblence of shape.
  • Options
    McLeod looked to me as though his pace hadn't returned yet, hope it does soon
  • Options
    1st half -Awful, 2nd - much better. Biggest diapointment for me was that Pards went straight off at full time and didnt bother to acknowledge us, crowd was much better was in f block lower north nearish the front had a great laugh/ sorry , viewpoint of the flag barers trying to get the flag the right way round...
  • Options
    Gotta say (Reluctantly) Pardew deserves some credit for making the changes at Half time. Second half performance was exactly why I enjoy watching football & it's something that has been missing for a lot of this season.