Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Wright - thoughts?

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Right what did everyone think of him today??

Personally first half he wasn't great, then again they were all awful first half

2nd half, some great passes and superb crunching (not wreckless) tackles. all in all thought he did well improved as the game went on and should deff be starting next few games to bed in a little, especially like him 'chatting' and geeing on all the team, he's a captain in the making, some of he's balls were delightful aswell, if only we had a striker who could finish them off!!

Comments

• Options
    Agree, good on the ball, not afraid to put his foot in, I hope to see more of this lad. Tough time for him to come into the team, thought he handled the pressure well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CHG[/cite]Tough time for him to come into the team, thought he handled the pressure well.

Yes, very good point, this is not an easy time to come into the team, and considering his age, he gave a mature performance.
  • Options
    yeah deffinaltely, forgot the guy is still only 18!!
  • Options
    Thank god we have some promising kids coming through!
  • Options
    good first game, definately has potential to go on and nail down a spot in the team, especially given limited centre midfield options at the mo.
  • Options
    Given that we've now got no money, building a new midfield around Wright, Shelvey and possibly Basey if we decide that's his best position rather than full-back is perhaps the way forward...plus , of course, the still youthful Bailey, who is an admirable player and far better than the two awful, tired and error-strewn performances he's put in over the last week...
  • Options
    I thought Josh did well in his first game. He grew in confidence as thr game went on, and can be even better in the future. Keep giving the youngsters a chance, they are our future.
  • Options
    Did well, good passes, some good defending. Saw him encouraging the team, shows why he's captained the reserves and u18s in the past.

A few mistakes, shots weren't great, but he did no worse than other senior players.

Wanted to see him involved in the first team, hopefully he will be now. So much competition in CM though, likely we'll see Zheng go in January and I can't see Sinclair breaking through.
  • Options
    Very impressed.

He seems to have a good all round game and didn't go missing during a poor to indifferent first half for the team as a whole. Holds his own physically too considering he is still only 18.
  • Options
    Thought he did well and was perhaps unlucky to get subbed when his midfield partner was having a mare.

Now let him have a run in the side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey was visibly poor!

As i said to you though ben good clean passes and he could do well with a run in the side!
  • Options
    He was off the pace at the start, along with all other nine outfield players. It didn't help as Henry said, that Bailey had a mare. He was much better in the second half, helped by the fact that he had some space in which to play. He certainly didn't look out of his depth.
  • Options
    Good on the ball. Only way to see how good he really is to give him a run of games, but I was impressed with what he did today.
  • Options
    He is 19 next week,stick with him thought he gave his best today
  • Options
    I actually thought first half he was a beacon of hope in the darkness that was our midfield and apart from the defenseive header that he did not get clear in the build up to their goal I thought he had a great debut. Times like in the first half when he won the ball in our right back slot and instead of just hoofing or giving it away he chipped it to one of our players and set up a break. He has a cool head for one so young.
  • Options
    He made his debut in what must have been one of the poorest first half performances at The Valley foy years and yet came out of it all with a lot of credit. Looks as though he has the ability to stake a claim. Good debut by any standards without being spectacular.
  • Options
    Some signs that just maybe the lad is gonna become a permanent part of the squad...quite promising in the end, without being spectacular....then again who was?
  • Options
    think (hopefully) he is going to become a great team member.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Some signs that just maybe the lad is gonna become a permanent part of the squad...quite promising in the end, without being spectacular....then again who was?

Watched him yesterday and play for Brentford against Notts County. Very much the impression I got but, in a couple of years time, with him as the holding midfielder and Shelvey pushing on (assuming we've managed to hold onto them and aren't playing League 2 football), we will have the basis of a very good midield.
  • Options
    Thought he did really well too; nothing too flamboyant, but a good disciplined performance doing just the job he'd been asked to at a difficult time with little experience or guidance alongside him. Gradually rose above the fear around him to display what he can do. He's been an obvious talent at youth / reserve level for some time now, but seems to have been able to creep in to the first team under the radar without the hype and expectation that Jonjo has to live with while he learns. Admirable start at such a tricky time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought he did well 2nd half. 1st half thought he was poor (along with all of them). On of our many probs in the 1st half I thought was Cranie and Josh passing the ball between themselves nervously and neither of them having a clue what to do with it.

Well done Josh for a good second half and all the players.
  • Options
    I must have been watching a different game to everyone else. I thought he was absolute toss.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I must have been watching a different game to everyone else. I thought he was absolute toss.

I'm not going to say I agree *because* he's a young lad who was playing in a very difficult situation, the pressure of the crowd, being 20th in the league and a his midfield partner having an absolute mare.

However let's just saying he looked very nervous and made a few bad touches and hid a little in the first half.

But, he got a little first team experience, we didn't lose, so good luck to him and I'll judge him after he's played a minimum of 5 full games.
  • Options
    Thought he played really well considering the circumstances , first half he was the only bright spark he was the only one who werent just hoofing it.
  • Options
    Started a bit lost, but improved through the game, looked comfy on the ball, and had a better game then Bailey.

Did better then I thought he would, cause when I've seen him in the reserves, I've thought he was wimp of a midfielder who would get bossed about by the big lads.

Portman Road on a Tuesday night will find out if he's got the bollocks for this level
  • Options
    and the fans who's going
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcpolo[/cite]I must have been watching a different game to everyone else. I thought he was absolute toss.
    Perhaps you were, Polo.

Josh had a bit of a nervous start but then the team could barely string 2 passes together, but I still felt he showed up well compared to some others.

Second half, the lad visibly began to grow and was well involved, plenty of good tackles, neat tidy short passing, and a couple of quality raking long passes - which is why he got a standing ovation.

Absolute toss, Polo......? Definitely watching a different game.
  • Options
    polo, I think you must of got him and bailey misxed up! Nicky had a mare - but hes still a good player. Josh was the best charlton player out there, sam did well when he came on too
  • Options
    Considering the dreadful performance of most of the team in the first half I thought Josh played well, Bailey was a poor on Tuesday and no better Saturday. Good to see a improvement Sam.
  • Options
    The local Burnley commentary team were saying that the fans were booing Josh in the first half - that sounds bolox, please tell me it was.