Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Basey v Youga

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Basey cultured left peg which planted a perfect free kick onto Toddy's head but woefully slow.

Youga pacy, aggressive but subject to dropping real clangers at times.

I think I'm still a Youga man but it's a toughie.

Comments

• Options
    From what I've seen of Youga, I'd play Basey.
  • Options
    I like Youga but he has been so inconsistent and I don't blame Pards for doing something about it today. Frankly I don't think Basey's lack of pace is a huge problem. I'd rather have defenders who can defend, and the jury is certainly out on Youga on that front. What was hugely odd was Pards playing Cranie at left back. He hasn't looked that sharp on the right so playing him there was bizarre.

We looked much better second half with Basey there with Ambrose ahead of him.
  • Options
    Youga's positional play has been bad lately. Time to let Grant have a good run to see what he can do.
  • Options
    Basey all the way, Youga constantly drops big hairy bollocks and is a bottler
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Basey has attributes but when he has to motor it's like he's running through glue, i like the guy but i really don't think that full back is ever going to be his best position. Having said that Youga has regressed so far that i'd pick Basey over Youga every time right now.
  • Options
    Im in the basey camp, youga didnt cut it for us before, then went on loan came back a new player but now seems to have somewhat lost his way...

basey is not hugely girfted but he is a less attacking defender from what I have seen and listened to...

basey for a while..
  • Options
    left back is a position of defence and their first job is to defend which Youga when I have seen our games on tv and the Palace game that i was at he is not a good defender.

He is good going forward but can;t bloody cross the ball
  • Options
    I think Basey's best position is left midfield because he can put in a decent cross and provide cover for Youga when he goes walkabout
  • Options
    Interesting one this. Youga can get forward but is not a good crosser of the ball. This poor end product means his forward forays are often wasted. He makes poor decisions in deciding when to stick and therefore is often exposed as a full back. He is also not that quick. On the plus side he is strong and not frightened to have a go. Basey is certainly a more steady full back but offers nothing going forward because lacks any pace and I presume knows that if he gets caught out of position that he will be in trouble. On the other hand Basey has a good delivery. Youga needed to be dropped / rested and looking at our options we were forced to play Basey. IMHO neither of these two are the answer because of their respective deficiencies but we have to play one. Basey for now but I suspect its only a matter of time before we start complaining about his problems and try Youga again. Left back is a problem area which needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    thats the truth...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basey was poor in the first half but so was the rest of them and looked better with tha game in front of him. He should keep his place next week
  • Options
    Basey is just too slow and has a poor touch too - he gets caught with the ball and cannot recover. He gets turned inside out too often. His delivery from free kicks is good - his delivery from corners is poor - he hits the first man far too often for my liking.

Youga has everything - but is rash, prone to mistakes and lacks concentration. He's the best of our three options at left back in my opinion though and how he didn't play at left back and Crainie did yesterday is ridiculous - Crainie has to have a "must play" option in his loan agreement ...
  • Options
    Agree it was nonsense playing Crainie there; he's looked ok at centre half but contributed nothing going forward even from right back and was clearly hesitant even to swing his left foot. We all seem to see the same strengths & weaknesses in Youga & Basey. While we dig in and rebuild is there a case for sometimes playing Basey ahead of Youga on the same flank, with Basey covering Youga's forays? (or would that just expose both their failings? ). Although Youga's made errors and been found badly out of position, I completely disagree with previous posts suggesting that he's bottled out or thrown the towel in (unlike Bouazza v Bristol C).
  • Options
    Youga is shite
  • Options
    It's funny nobody has mentioned Semedo as a left back contender. Judging by his performance at right back a few games ago he's crying out to get into the side and i'm sure people on here gave him positive reviews when he played left back a couple of seasons ago. In fact Semedo seems to have dropped off the radar recently, is he injured?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]It's funny nobody has mentioned Semedo as a left back contender. Judging by his performance at right back a few games ago he's crying out to get into the side and i'm sure people on here gave him positive reviews when he played left back a couple of seasons ago. In fact Semedo seems to have dropped off the radar recently, is he injured?

I wanted him left back and Yassin right back, though I don't mind Basey getting a run.

Semedo's a good player just hasn't found his best position for us.
  • Options
    Semedo is banned but before he got sent off he did more than enough to earn a place in the side
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]It's funny nobody has mentioned Semedo as a left back contender. Judging by his performance at right back a few games ago he's crying out to get into the side and i'm sure people on here gave him positive reviews when he played left back a couple of seasons ago. In fact Semedo seems to have dropped off the radar recently, is he injured?
    Early last season Semedo got moved from CM to LB to cover for a sending off or injury - he was superb in that position.
  • Options
    did he get a 3 game ban then,i thought it was only 1
  • Options
    I like Semedo as a right back, if he can play like that as a left back then I think it is problem solved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah he can, he has played there before.
  • Options
    Wasn't his a straight red? Dunno if I'm honest but I thought it was a longer ban for a straight red
  • Options
    os said both him and huds could come back
  • Options
    It was a straight red but for a professional foul which carries a mandatory one match ban
  • Options
    Basey at LB for me;
    Kellys still young and will become more constant.
  • Options
    The perception that Youga gets caught out of position is more to do with him being doubled up on because Bouazza never tracked back and he finds himself facing the winger and the full back and if he covers one the other is free. He (and Basey) get better protection from Darren. His crossing is rubbish though.
  • Options
    my problem with Youga aside from his mistakes, is his attitude - he doesn't take things seriously enough.
  • Options
    Like VM I think the two could play together on that flank. Both can defend and both can get forward plus Basey gives you good dead ball delivery
  • Options
    I am all for sticking with a player who has a poor game but Youga has had six or seven on the spin & deserved to be dropped. Basey should keep the place until such time as he has a few consecutive bad games.
  • Options
    spot on, Youga has had a very good run in the side considering his performances.