Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oi! Rothko - Sort it out!

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Come on, what have you and the fans forum actually done?

Congratulations Sacha and to the other fans' forum members. Keep the faith.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2008
    ?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Read the programme!
  • Options
    Have say, they looked like a right motley crew. Also, not sure I like the fact that the election idea was scrapped because of "a change of heart" by the club. Call me cynical, but it sounds suspiciously like a carve up.

Do any of them post on here?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rothko does.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wasn't counting him. I meant any of the others?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Don't know but that is maybe a good thing. Charlton Life is not Charlton. (sorry AFKA/Lookie)
  • Options
    I reckon they should've invited a regular poster from Intothevalley onto the forum. In fact THE regular poster.

That would've been a laugh - for about ..... ooooooh, 10 seconds!
  • Options
    I don't buy or read football programmes...never have and never will...sorry.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I don't buy or read football programmes...never have and never will...sorry.

But then how do you keep up to speed with the women's side then SoundAs, not to mention Kelly Youga's take on the world around him? It's dreadfully exciting stuff!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I reckon they should've invited a regular poster from Intothevalley onto the forum. In fact THE regular poster.

That would've been a laugh - for about ..... ooooooh, 10 seconds!

LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite] Also, not sure I like the fact that the election idea was scrapped because of "a change of heart" by the club. Call me cynical, but it sounds suspiciously like a carve up.

Well done Rothko.

How were they chosen, if not by ballot?
  • Options
    It says in the programme that the people who put themselves forward were interviewed and then a decision was made as to the lucky six punters. Dunno who decided exactly. Maybe our new representative could enlighten us?

Oi Rothko .......... sort it out. Henry would've been on here with a full and detailed explanation by now!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, that's right. Sort it out Rothko!

Power gone to his head I reckon. One evening hob-nobbing with the likes of Steve Waggott and David White and now he's too good to come on here : - )
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    He probably got mullered on tizer in the directors box and is sleeping it off at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It says in the programme that the people who put themselves forward were interviewed and then a decision was made as to the lucky six punters. Dunno who decided exactly. Maybe our new representative could enlighten us?

Oi Rothko .......... sort it out. Henry would've been on here with a full and detailed explanation by now!
    Perhaps there were only 6 applicants.....
  • Options
    Does it mean that the Robin costume will be coming back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It says in the programme that the people who put themselves forward were interviewed and then a decision was made as to the lucky six punters. Dunno who decided exactly

Did they have to pledge be kind to furry animals, in favour of world peace and want spend a lot of time helping others and raising money for charity?......:o)

In all seriousness, whilst I can understand the interview rather than ballot, process, it does make you wonder who they were trying to weed out, unless it was people who endlessly refer to holes in the car park or street parties?
  • Options
    Can someone tell us the full list of chosen members?
  • Options
    I was busy people!

I don't know the reasoning why they didn't go to election, I suppose they wanted to keep the representation across the 3 stands. Ben was on the panel who decided that it didn't go to election.
  • Options
    BTW thanks to those nice words saying well done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How long until the West Stand car park is turned into a giant cycle park?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I was busy people!

I don't know the reasoning why they didn't go to election, I suppose they wanted to keep the representation across the 3 stands. Ben was on the panel who decided that it didn't go to election.

now we know how you got in
  • Options
    What was the primary reason for going from an elected Fans Director to an unelected forum ?

I probably missed it by why did the club want to move away from having a Fans Director ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]What was the primary reason for going from an elected Fans Director to an unelected forum ?

I probably missed it by why did the club want to move away from having a Fans Director ?

The 'excuse' - and I genuinely believe it to be that - is that changes in corporate law mean it is too onerous a legal burden on a fan to be a proper director.

I've no idea what the 'truth' is, but I imagine a combination of the following:

- new directors at Charlton less comfortable with the concept
    - having a fans director might get in the way of a prospective takeover
    - Henry moaned too much about the workload being more than one person could handle ;-)

Congrats, Rothko, on getting involved. From reading the pen portraits in the prog, I have little doubt that all the representatives have good intentions of trying to raise issues with the Club.

However, for me the main purpose of the role wasn't to help directors listen to fans, but conversely to make sure that the fans knew that the directors weren't planning stuff that would be at odds with the culture and history of our football club. I'm afraid we have lost that comfort blanket now....
  • Options
    well done rothko.

Can't say I'm impressed with the way this was done though, nor surprised.

:)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Why not out of interest? Sorry but I'm bored at work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    However, for me the main purpose of the role wasn't to help directors listen to fans, but conversely to make sure that the fans knew that the directors weren't planning stuff that would be at odds with the culture and history of our football club. I'm afraid we have lost that comfort blanket now....

I think you do have a certain point there, though i would say it was A reason, not THE reason.

However, the fact that Henry only found out about the takeover approach by someone on here watching Sky Sports, kind of shows that that was never really in play.........
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As far as I recall from when it first came in, the role of the fans director was to be a link between fans and the club so that the club could keep it's finger on the pulse of what the fans were thinking and the fans could feel more included and part of the club as information was disseminated outwards. That said, I don't suppose there was ever a job description written down, so who knows.

What has certainly changed over the years is that peoples expectations of what the fans director should or could be doing has probably veered off significiantly from what they can actually realistically be expected to do.

Helping with the flags campaign, feeding back on the shite beer on offer, trying to get a place for smokers to go and do their evil business is one thing, but do people really expect to be told the goings on at every board meeting, every training ground bust-up, every negotiation with club we're maybe buying a player from.

Unfortunately expectation levels in certain quarters appear to have "pushed on to the next level". Well, at least something did I spose.
  • Options
    "do people really expect to be told the goings on at every board meeting, every training ground bust-up, every negotiation with club we're maybe buying a player from."

I don't expect anything of the sort. I did, however, very much like the idea that there was a fan 'in the know' re board discussions, and I mean the board of the football club, not the PLC (so not really a surprise that Ben wasn't aware of the takeover). We have now lost that, and for me personally, that is quite a big loss, and has removed one of the key things that made Charlton a bit different from most other football clubs.

I wish the fans forum lots of success, but think it will become, at best, a way to raise issues regarding atmosphere, service, treatment of fans, size of fan base - all important issues, but a completely different concept to a fans' director IMHO.
  • Options
    thats wot i feel as well. Forum good luck but we lost something when we lost The Director