Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holland - unlucky?...

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
I thought on Tuesday that Matty was our best player - so to find him on the bench yesterday with Bailey playing with Wright was a little surprising. Having Matty next to him could have helped Josh out early on, when he showed some nerves (and was responsible for a poor headed clearance from the corner which led to their first goal).

He's a good, honest pro - and at 35, he plays within his limitations - giving the ball away on very few occassions and showing more passion than 90% of our squad does.

He's not the long term answer, but when a ship needs steadying, I would play him - especially as Bailey has been off form for the past 3 or 4 games ...

Comments

• Options
    Wright and Bailey are the way forward.Unfortunately for Holland he's playing in a position where you have to keep motoring for 90 minutes and i don't think he's up to it anymore.
    Been a great servant to the game though.
  • Options
    I thought Tuesday was typical Holland - faultless honest professional endeavour without ever really affecting the outcome. Fair point though about steadying the ship. As many have observed, we could do with many more with Matty's attitude, only perhaps with a lot more impact. Not east to come by though
  • Options
    I think 20 minute cameos and filling in as a starter when others are injured or suspended is about right for Matt. Came on and steadied the ship yesterday after a loose pass from Wright almost cost us the game.
  • Options
    NLA commented that commentary yesterday Steve Brown said he had heard Pards was so disgusted with Holland's performance that he played a injured Nivky Bailry over him.
  • Options
    Holland was warming up on the sideline early in the second half, the ball went off for our goal kick, he sprinted around the corner to get the ball back to Weaver ASAP.

Would anyone else in the sqaud done that?
  • Options
    Agree with the comments above. He's a great bloke and will try harder than anyone, but he has little to no impact on a game. And as a central midfielder that's what you need. I hardly ever see him have more than one touch on the ball, and usually that touch is just flicking it over his head.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I think 20 minute cameos and filling in as a starter when others are injured or suspended is about right for Matt. Came on and steadied the ship yesterday after a loose pass from Wright almost cost us the game.

Agree, need CMs that can offer that bit more. Holland isn't seen like that because he puts in the effort and doesn't make many mistakes.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I hardly ever see him have more than one touch on the ball, and usually that touch is just flicking it over his head.

Alot of the time that one touch is breaking up a possible attack. I know alot of fans won't be able to see the bigger picture so as he's not bursting through making 30 yard runs he's not sene to make an impact on the game.

Luckily we had Bailey to huff and puff for us instead on Saturday....
  • Options
    No coincidence that Bailey had his worse game when Holland wasnt there. I think a lot of Baileys early season plaudits were down to Matts efforts alongside him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I hardly ever see him have more than one touch on the ball, and usually that touch is just flicking it over his head.

Alot of the time that one touch is breaking up a possible attack. I know alot of fans won't be able to see the bigger picture so as he's not bursting through making 30 yard runs he's not sene to make an impact on the game.

Not from where I've been sitting, squire. He has to two moves. The first is to run towards the defender asking him to pass it, before passing it straight back to them. (Does Matt love Opta stats?) And the other takes place whenever the ball is played to him at above or-equal-to knee height, whereby he just hooks it on behind him.

We will never come close to the play-offs when he's a regular fixture in the side. That is not to say I don't appreciate and respect the bloke, he was a "proper charlton" player after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Alot of the time that one touch is breaking up a possible attack. I know alot of fans won't be able to see the bigger picture so as he's not bursting through making 30 yard runs he's not sene to make an impact on the game.

WHAT???!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]No coincidence that Bailey had his worse game when Holland wasnt there. I think a lot of Baileys early season plaudits were down to Matts efforts alongside him.[/quote]

Can't really comment about Bailey's performance on saturday but your final comment really is cobblers!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What gets me about the comments on here about Matt are

What do you expect Matt to do whilst on the pitch,

1.Is it bang in 10-15 goals a season with Gutt busting runs all over the pitch

2. is it that you want him to be the Claude makale of the team.

3. Do you want him in the Paul Ince or Roy Keane role

If it is any of the above then rewind his career 10 years and watch the Highlight reel.

If it is to put in a honest shift to try your hardest and play in a position that due to our poor forward line and our shocking defenders you are continually seeing the ball being poorly played back to yourself or over your head then step forward Matthew Holland and take a bow for some reason the poor man gets ruined for his honest endeavor.
  • Options
    NLA, well said mate.
  • Options
    cheers oggy i really dont know what people want him to do he is no poorer a player in his own position as Powelly,Robbo,Brown but yet he gets dogs abuse from the stands and on here. yet no one slated their whole hearted attempts in the back end of their careers,

considering Ipswhich away was the first time i noticed this bollx i am glad i aint there 2nite as i am sure it would raise up again
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't expect him to do anything on the pitch because he is, as you said, past-it. Sure he probably does quite a good job for a 35 year old, but people seem to insinuate he should be playing as a fundamental part of the team when these days he has very little to contribute as a mainstay starter.

As for "continually seeing the ball being poorly played back to yourself or over your head", I'm of the opinion that it happens more when Matty's playing because the bloke has no skills that help with ball retension in the midfield.
  • Options
    Never said Past it i said back end of their careers, we just have to face facts our midfield would be no stronger without matt holland and certainly is not weakend with him in it.

we either need to play shelvey and bailey or wright and bailey and bring matty on for the last 20 when jonjo or josh start to tire.

I just think Matt is becoming an easy target for abuse he doesnt deserve and has served us exteemly well
  • Options
    I think that it would certainly be stronger without him, especially when people return from injuries. At this stage of his career, we just have a lot better options and while they are fit he shouldn't be starting any games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]Alot of the time that one touch is breaking up a possible attack. I know alot of fans won't be able to see the bigger picture so as he's not bursting through making 30 yard runs he's not sene to make an impact on the game.

WHAT???!

What what? ?

I was being sarcastic about Bailey in case you couldn't tell.
  • Options
    Feel the same about Holland really, we aren't going to move forward with him as an important member of the team.

He has a role to play, start some games, coming on for the last 15-30 minutes, especially if Shelvey or Wright start (or even Arter if he gets a chance this season?).

We'll have Racon back eventually, who was one of our better players at the start of the season. Then there's ZZ, though I expect him to leave in January.

I respect him and he does what he does well, but is limited especially when it comes to passing the ball and driving us forward. Can't say anything bad about his attitude and the effort he puts in.