Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards backs Varney to come good

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/3793525.Pards_backs_Varney_to_come_good/

Comments

• Options
    ha ha but which decade/century/millenia..?
  • Options
    How dare Pardew support a player in public! More spin.

He should boo him and slate him as a donkey, unless clown or a tosser as we know this will motivate him much more.

*takes sarcasm hat off*
  • Options
    no but perhaps give him a rest for a bit or move him to the wing?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]no but perhaps give him a rest for a bit or move him to the wing?

Agree although I still don't think he is a wide player in a 4-4-2.
  • Options
    Varney reminds me of Ian Wright when he played for England. It's about trying too hard and losing composure. That leads to lack of confidence. He probably would have taken that chance 10 times out of 10 in training or the reserves, he just had a momentary hesitation then took and extra couple of touches, the defender got back and that was it. What a difference it would have made to him had he taken the chance!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Varney reminds me of Ian Wright when he played for England. It's about trying too hard and losing composure. That leads to lack of confidence. He probably would have taken that chance 10 times out of 10 in training or the reserves, he just had a momentary hesitation then took and extra couple of touches, the defender got back and that was it. What a difference it would have made to him had he taken the chance!

did you not watch them warming up??? Only mr ambrose was hitting the net!!! Varney was missin the entire goal from 8 yrds with no pressure, other than weaver!!

I wold love this guy to come good, not gonna happen this yr thou
  • Options
    Both Varney's main asset ....... and his main fault, is that he plays the game at 100 mph.
    It's difficult to get a quality first touch on the ball when you're always at full stretch.

He needs to learn when to slow his game down and when to pick up the pace.
    Go talk to Mr Todorov, Varns.
  • Options
    Varney plays best out on the wing, his pace troubles oppossing defences as well as he is very direct, get Toddy up front, we have been crying out for a player with flare since Reid left, and it was apparent once he appeared on Saturday he is that man,
  • Options
    Agreed that Varns charging around the pitch is a problem for defences.

It's only in the box that his play breaks down.
  • Options
    "I've had this before with people like Bobby Zamora and Dean Ashton even, so sometimes you have to show faith in individuals."

Never realised Pardew used to manage West Ham - you'd think he'd drop it into conversations a bit more
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't talk about his old Reading players quite so often.......

;o)
  • Options
    How long do you give it before you say thats long enough. I'm all for loyalty,but our lack of goals has sent us tumbling down the league. Theres loyalty, and theres being too stubborn to admit that what you are doing isn't working. Pards is still burying his head in the sand. I'm losing all faith in the man.
  • Options
    Like him as a player but he just not good enough. As a pro, with all the prep, you would expect the simple things to be done correctly, like wearing the correct boots at Cardiff. But no, he slipped, and we lost.

Time to move him on and get a proven striker........is Super Clive fit?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Varney has been royally slated for that miss.

I wonder though which of our other strikers would have had a) the vision to see the poor backpass and b) the pace to get there and do something about it.

Gray and Toddy would have seen it but probably wouldn't have got there. Izale and Dicko could have got there but would they have seen it in time?

The bloke is getting in positions to miss and before long if he carries on doing what he is doing they will start to go in.

Lack of confidence is why he missed on saturday.
  • Options
    Agreed Len. Varney is at the top of my favourites list. He'll come good soon, if the team (and supporters!) can somehow muster some confidence. Having said that, I don't see and experience his misses firsthand every week.
  • Options
    Agree with Len ...... a striker has to be in the right place at the right time to score. Or miss.

All the while Varns is getting on the end of chances, then he's always giving himself that next chance to score.
    The fact that, like our old mate Lisbie, he creates a fair portion of chances by himself is to his credit also.

Likewise, Izzy McLeod last season missed a hatful of chances. But he always got himself in the right place to miss.
    These players will come good in time.

Another thing, Varney doesn't hide in the game - he's always up for chasing that next chance.
    That takes courage when you've just missed a sitter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Varney has been royally slated for that miss.

I wonder though which of our other strikers would have had a) the vision to see the poor backpass and b) the pace to get there and do something about it.

Gray and Toddy would have seen it but probably wouldn't have got there. Izale and Dicko could have got there but would they have seen it in time?

The bloke is getting in positions to miss and before long if he carries on doing what he is doing they will start to go in.

Lack of confidence is why he missed on saturday.

I think Izale may have seen it but varns is the only one who would do it!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]How long do you give it before you say thats long enough. I'm all for loyalty,but our lack of goals has sent us tumbling down the league. Theres loyalty, and theres being too stubborn to admit that what you are doing isn't working. Pards is still burying his head in the sand. I'm losing all faith in the man.[/quote]

Totally agree. I said at the start of the season that Varney should be given a run of at least 10 games to get settled. He's now had 13 with a goal return of 2. Not good enough from someone who was bought as our main goal threat.

I like Varney as a player. he give 100% but the first team is not the place to get his confidence back, nor can it do much for the confidence of the other strikers at the club to be stuck on the bench while he is missing chances.

Imo, McLeod or Dickson should be given a dencent run of games alongside Toddy and let Varney see if he can find his shooting boots with the reserves.