Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Dickson

Pardews comment after the game
"Chris Dickson for me has still got a bit of work to do to get in this team and I really am not going to elaborate anymore on that,"

Well i'd like you to elaborate on that Alan because the bloke has scored goals at whatever level hes played at, scores in nearly every reserve match, has been itching to get a game whilst sitting the bench each week and then you bring in McLeod who's had 1 reserve match in the past 6 months.

Have i missed something or has this been discussed elsewhere? Has there been a falling out?

Comments

• Options
    It has Chris - all season by me under the thread "Our Best Up Front Combination"
  • Options
    I thought Pardew's main gripe with the team is ......... we don't score enough goals.
    Well, that's Dicko's stock-in-trade. And given a service, that 's what he's particularly good at.

Isn't it Pards .....?
  • Options
    where is that quote from, certainly wasnt said at the after match press conference.,
  • Options
    Sounds to me like he's pissed Pards off over something? Maybe he reacted badly to McLeod getting a start?
  • Options
    I've believe that, on he basis that, he wasn't even making the bench earlier in the season when we weren't scoring and he has now been moved even further down the pecking order with McCleod now fit, there are one of three reasons for Dickson not starting a single match:

(1) Pards doesn't rate him as a footballer.
    (2) They've had a fall out or Pards doesn't like his attitude
    (3) We've got to pay out if he starts so many games

As option (3) is highly unlikely it has to be (1) or (2)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite]where is that quote from, certainly wasnt said at the after match press conference.,

About 3/4s of the way down this article. Not sure if it was after the game but it's obviously since saturday

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/3793525.Pards_backs_Varney_to_come_good/
  • Options
    Yep it was in the press conference for Monday journalists, it was me who asked the question.
  • Options
    Sound logic there, Addict.

So if Dicko isn't flavour of the month at the mo and, in Pards own words, "has still got a bit of work to do to get in this team",
    then ship him out on loan for a month ....... and let him learn.

C'mon Pards, the player needs games, before he gets so rusty in front of goal that his confidence gets shot.

If you won't even give him a start at Charlton - then let him get a start at Leyton Orient or somewhere for a month.
    He needs to play!
  • Options
    Agreed Oggy, now McLeod is back it's clear that Dickson is 5th choice and in some away games we go with just 1 up front so the bloke isn't going to play. Ship him out to a league one team.
  • Options
    was shocked he and gray were not even on the bench on saturday, Fleetwood is looking at cheltnham so a loan move would be good for Dickson, who honestly imagined, McLeod would have started on Sat??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]was shocked he and gray were not even on the bench on saturday, Fleetwood is looking at cheltnham so a loan move would be good for Dickson, who honestly imagined, McLeod would have started on Sat??

According to the Burnley report Gray was absent due to a family illness.

Did anyone see Fleetwood's involvement in the MK Dons keeper getting sent off?

SF went thru and was tripped by the keeper but the flag was already up for offside. SF has a right moan about it and the Dons keeper (who was huge) chested SF to the ground. Straight red but Cheltenham still lost.
  • Options
    According to the Burnley site Gray was missing due to a family illness.
  • Options
    certainly baffled me on Sat. Gray has started most games this season & suddenly he isn't even on the bench - same for Dickson.

Pardew, like Curbs, has bad man management skills. Put Dickson in Varney's shoes and I'm sure he would have more goals this season than Pard's blue eyed boy.
  • Options
    Unbelievable quote from Pardew. granted we don't see the players day in day out but as somebody posted on another thread, Dickson looks like a player who would sell his granny (LOL!) to score a goal (as he showed in the 25 mins he was given against Bristol City). To then not even put him on the bench on Saturday was absolutely shocking...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Pardew, like Curbs, has bad man management skills. P.

And this is based on what?

Letting Gray be with a sick family member = poor man management skills.

Picking a player he rates over one that you rate = poor man management skills.
  • Options
    You could argue that Pards got it right with the striker he picked on the bench
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Pardew, like Curbs, has bad man management skills. P.

And this is based on what?

Letting Gray be with a sick family member = poor man management skills.

Picking a player he rates over one that you rate = poor man management skills.

Agreed Henry.
  • Options
    Taking that slightly out of context to make your point, Hen?

Maybe the ability to work with people that you're not getting on with, was what he might be getting at? D'you think?

I think a disappointing Pardew feature seems to be to have an overly positive blind spot assoicated with some players (Varney and Crainey for example) and an overly negative one, for others (Moo2 and Dicko). His job is to pick the best side for a specific challenge, surely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Unbelievable quote from Pardew. granted we don't see the players day in day out but as somebody posted on another thread, Dickson looks like a player who would sell his granny (LOL!) to score a goal (as he showed in the 25 mins he was given against Bristol City). To then not even put him on the bench on Saturday was absolutely shocking...

That was me kin - based on what I was told by a Manager that played against him in Non League football.

As for poor Man Management preferring one player over another isn't but going public about soemone who isn't being played might be. It can achieve one of two things - either galvanising the player to doing what the Manager expects or pXXXing him off so much he goes backward. Let's hope for the lad and CAFC's sake it is the former.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]Taking that slightly out of context to make your point, Hen?

Maybe the ability to work with people that you're not getting on with, was what he might be getting at? D'you think?

I think a disappointing Pardew feature seems to be to have an overly positive blind spot assoicated with some players (Varney and Crainey for example) and an overly negative one, for others (Moo2 and Dicko). His job is to pick the best side for a specific challenge, surely.

Not out of context at all. Golfie referred to those two players and then said that AP has poor man management skills.

What you have described in what you see as APs poor team selection skills. Totally different thing.

It is only supposition that AP doesn't get on with Gray or Dickson (who Pardew bought BTW) or any of the other players. We just don't know. He dropped Holland on Sat so does that mean he doesn't get on with him now or that they have fallen out?

Or does it mean that having sent Wright out on loan (obviously fallen out with him!!!!!) and now playing him they have kissed and made up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Or does it mean that having sent Wright out on loan (obviously fallen out with him!!!!!) and now playing him they have kissed and made up."

Dickson went on loan last season ans scored 11 in 11 starts for them and has, therefore, proven that he can do it in the division below. How is he going to prove he's good enough if he's never going to be given a chance at this level? And by chance I don't mean 10 minutes here and there. I mean a run of half a dozen starts. Varney's had 13 this season and scored twice - he missed that many open goals on Saturday alone.
  • Options
    No matter what anyone thinks about Varney, Dickson, Pardew, his man management skills, his team selection, i think anyone on here would have a tough time arguing against that if Dickson was given the same amount of games as Varney then he'd have more than double the amount of goals. 2 goals in 13 starts is poor no matter how much running about he does.
    Dickson is probably similar to Kris Boyd at Rangers, who doesn't do enough running about or work as hard as another bloke (say Novo for example), but give him the ball and he'll score.
  • Options
    Am i the only one who would like to see Dickson and Toddy up front?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Am i the only one who would like to see Dickson and Toddy up front?

No SE10 you're certianly not. And I would have still have Varney in the team, probably on the left so he can cut inside onto his right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Am i the only one who would like to see Dickson and Toddy up front?

The workrate would be huge
  • Options
    Another staggering quotation from our current manager. We all have different opinions on players but by refusing to elaborate on what he said about Dickson, Pardew is inferring that they've had some sort of falling out. If he doesn't want to clarify the Dickson situation fair enough but that comment just creates speculation. I agree with what he's been trying to do with Varney but 2 goals alligned with missed sitters in 11 games means time for change.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite] Pardew is inferring that they've had some sort of falling out.[/quote]

I dont think Pards is inferring anything about any kind of falling out with Dicko, I know football is a game of interpretation and inference, but would people prefer Pards to label the weaknesses in Dicksons game to upcoming opponents?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Am i the only one who would like to see Dickson and Toddy up front?[/quote]
    No I think a lot of people would.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I disagree. I thought Dickson was poor when he came on as a substitute on Tuesday night. He didn't put himself in the right positions to occupy their defenders or create goal scoring opportunities. IMHO he is still too raw for this level of football. I have great hopes that he will be great for us but I'm just not sure he's ready yet. Looks like Pardew agrees.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Can't see how you can say that.
    He burst into the box with his first touch and forced a save or block and corner (can't remember which) and shortly after went close with a header.

When he was given a chance against West Brom (now a Premiership club) last season as a late sub he scored a real poachers goal then confidently put away his penalty in the shoot-out.

What more can the guy do given the very, very limited chances he has been afforded