Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flying First Class

2»

Comments

• Options
    Talking of planes, we just got a full refund after our Zoom flights back home went bust recently - good job we paid credit card for the flight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]I did hear it from a good authority that Dicko was beside himself with excitement at flying out on Ghana internationals. Nice to know that highly paid modern pros still get as worked up as us humble punters.

Yeah but coming from non league he'd probably never experienced it before. I doubt Essien was quite so excited!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Tried to get a free upgrade when we flew to The Bahamas for our honeymoon. Was told virgin no longer dish out free upgrades.

Waiting by the gate to board, they called for the first-class passengers, up stepped a Bet Lynch lookalike, decked in leopard skin print and nobody else.Wasn't too pleased.

The trick at JFK was getting a free up grade to Concorde. I never managed it but I know a couple of people who did - now that would have been nice.
  • Options
    We did Virgin premium economy to Barbados a couple of years back and it was blinding not the full 1st class treatment but the leg room was great the chairs went virtually into a bed and we had nintendos built in to the entertaiment centres, The food was good as well made me feel well chuffed when i got up for a sroll on the plane and saw eveyone else squeezed in.

good alternative if you are watching the pennies
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Never flown anything other than economy, and can't see i'll ever experience anything above that to be honest.

Does it really make a flight that much a different experience to justify the cost ?

Lets face it, you hardly need the extra leg room do you. I bet economy for you is like 1st class for normal people..... Smiley thing.
  • Options
    I'd always pay to fly premium economy at least , as NLA says its not the full first class treatment but I'd say definitely better value for money then flying first class . I've also been lucky enough to fly concorde and that was something else , they should really try and bring that back
  • Options
    Have flown business (club class) with BA to and from Singapore.
    Couldnt fault it, first time I have ever managed to sleep on a plane.
    try and get the upstairs bit, only 16 seats and 3 staff to look after you.
    Nice and quiet up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]Have flown business (club class) with BA to and from Singapore.
    Couldnt fault it, first time I have ever managed to sleep on a plane.
    try and get the upstairs bit, only 16 seats and 3 staff to look after you.
    Nice and quiet up there.

Agreed, upstairs is great, will be using it in a couple of weeks to go to singapore.
  • Options
    GH - complete waste of money. Three times the equivalent Premium Economy price and up to ten times the economy ticket (on prime routes). Your company is pouring your money down the drain. I'd have cut a deal with them and flown scrote!
  • Options
    Flown business class on BA to and from Germany quite a few times on their city flyer flights. Only difference I ever saw was a curtain across the cabin and first dibs on a news paper. Very nice
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stonemuse[/cite]Makes a difference from economy to business, but not particularly from business to first.

Does it justify the cost differential? Does it bolox!

I am just lucky that if my flights are over 5 hours for work, I get to go business. Otherwise, unless I am using airmiles, I would not pay for it myself.

Strange you should say that. I just told my company that anything over 5 hours and I'm not doing it unless they upgrade me. 10.5 hours in economy from Costa Rica to Madrid lthen another 2.5 to Heahtrow last Saturday was the end for me, while the customer was lording it in Business class.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Upgraded all the way to first class from economy on the way back from my brother's wedding in Oz last year. Singapore Air that was - from Singapore to Heathrow. Holy Mary Mother of God their stewardesses are outrageous - some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. As for the upgrade - meh. It was nice and all that - but I wouldn't pay four bloody grand for it if I was a multi-millionaire. Especially since I was so knackered I fell asleep about half an hour after take-off and only woke up over the Ukraine :)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    lucky was upgarded again last night to first class, was the only person in it !

watched the film Rock and Roller-----its crap, acting piss poor , story line lazy, no comedy moments as in some of GR`s other efforts, a very poor film really except for Thandy Newman (sic) dont go for skinny sorts really but she is hot it that.
  • Options
    If you turn up alone dressed smarlty you do get the odd upgrade!
    Also if you can get a passport holder form either House of Commons or House of Lords, trust me its a guarantee of preferential treatment...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]lucy was upgarded again last night to first class, was the only person in it !

watched the film Rock and Roller
    its crap, acting piss poor , story line lazy, no comedy moments as in some of GR`s other efforts, a very poor film really except for Thandy Newman (sic) dont go for skinny sorts really but she is hot it that.

Dunno I thought it was alright, not in the same league as Snatch but it was enjoyable anyway.
  • Options
    I got a free upgrade to Virgin Upper Class on a business trip to the States a few years ago. That was really nice. The trick if you were flying in and out of JFK a few years back was to get a free upgrade onto Concorde. I never managed it but one or two of my colleagues did. Usually if their 747 flight was delayed for some reason.
  • Options
    A couple of times but never paid for 1st class.
    The best one was when Singapore Airlines had just joined Star Alliance.
    I had an SAS Gold card and had a very cheap Singapore Airline Ticket from Singapore to London .
    Checking in they informed me they were over booked and I would be bumped until next day.
    When they realised I was aStar Alliance G C Holder they realised they had to take me.
    I was hastily given a Blue Boarding pass, thininking it was Business Class I headed for the lounge only to be told the First Class Lounge was further down the departure area. Result!
  • Options
    Several years I went to the check in counter at Gatwick for a return flight to Boston.
    I was wearing a Charlton bench coat. The ticket agent was a Charlton fan. There just happened to be several open seats in First Class, and I suddenly became eligible for an upgrade ...

At the time, I suspected that had I been wearing a M*llw*ll coat, I would have traveled back in the baggage compartment. ;)
  • Options
    1st is fantastic - if you don't have to pay.

A number of years ago the Lass and I were coming home business class from Bombay, we had a huge hassle at check in which resulted in us being upgraded to 1st with the Lass reduced to tears by the rude staff. Once on the BA flight I explained that the wife was very afraid of flying and they fed her champagne all the way to London, even on final approach at Heathrow they were still pouring the bubbly into her glass!