Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mini Laptops/MInibook

DA9DA9
edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Want to get my daughter one for xmas, anyone recommend any model?, budget under £200, lower if possible, Maplin do a minibook for £139 currently, not sure of the software packages on it though (assuming not Windows or Office suite etc)

Comments

• I've got an Asus eeepc which is excellent - cost just a bit more than £200, but has Open Office and is fully compatible with Windows.
  • May have trouble finding a decent one for under £200 E, and they'll most likely come with Linux, rather than XP...
  • [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I've got an Asus eeepc which is excellent - cost just a bit more than £200, but has Open Office and is fully compatible with Windows.

In the Makro mail starts 29/10 ends 4/11 £149.99 + vat
  • edited October 2008
    If you can get it for that, it's a bargain.

Medders - yes, it is Linux, but so far I have had no probs with that and regularly transfer docs from XP and back.
  • Fair enough Weegie.

That's a great price for a laptop
  • edited October 2008
    That's good to know, I was thinking about buying my son one for Christmas. What other software does it come with Weegie?
  • edited October 2008
    Avoid the split hardrive 12gig xp version of the eee900. The smaller ''c'' hardrive is barely big enough to hold the operating system. and yes i do have a girlfriend ;-)
  • From what I have heard and seen the eeepc or the Acer Aspire one are the top of the tree with regards to these. I have one of the elonex versions that carphone warehouse chuck out for free, it is pretty good and ideal for a spot of writing on the train on the way in.

as with all these things the model that is best for you depends on what you plan to use it for.

These things are great if you are out and about all the time, but the keyboards are not always the greatest so if doing a lot of work on them you will need to bear that in mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]That's good to know, I was thinking about buying my son one for Christmas. What other software does it come with Weegie?

You're getting a bit tecchie for me now, Chicago - and I think different models have different packages. Probably best to look up some reviews on the internet - they will give you something a bit more in depth than I can!

Agree with what Kigelia says - the keyboard is just about OK for my dainty fingers;-) Would be fine for a child, but perhaps not so great for an adult male!
  • Thanks, will do some researching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anybody who wants a laptop/desktop, let me know...I can do Samsung/Sony/Toshiba and Acer...which I wouldnt recommend....Happy to do them at trade....I dont normally sell them, but Ive always had access to them...normally reserved for friends and family....drop me a whisper if interested
  • Done a bit of net research, the Maplin one has Office software (Word, Excel), Firefox browser and 3 USB ports, wi-fi, looks a good deal for the price and 2 year guarantee, cheers all.

Its for her 6th form work mainly and no doubt chatrooms!!!!