Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 defenders

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this but we started Saturdays game with 5 recognised defenders.

Basey Crainie Hudson Primus Moo2

At home.

At the bottom of the table.

Needing a win.

Now, the question I want answered is this.. just at what point exactly did Alan Pardew decide that this was a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    Moo2, a "recognised defender"?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I thought he was playing right back? Was I mistaken?
  • Options
    actually.. thinking about it, how often has Moo 2 played in any position other than defence?
  • Options
    No, you're right in that he is labelled a right-back, but I think general consensus is that he's more of an attacking player, whose defending needs development.

Therefore, it stretches the idea that Pards was playing 5 out-and-out, leaden foot defenders.
  • Options
    The original point I was trying to make was that why on earth would he have picked 5 defenders for a home game? I'e seen 5 in mid-field (it's the Charlton way) but in defence? He's lost me Pardew has.
  • Options
    Curbs used to regularaly pack the midfield with defenders.
  • Options
    I get your point. I'm just suggesting that Moo2 uses his pace to get down the wings and it has been suggested that he could actually be more suited as a winger.

Basey is another. He's labelled a fullback, but there is much debate as to whether he is more effective as a midfielder.

So, two of those five, are not none-shall-pass defenders who line up on the half way line. Given our form, I'm not surprised that Pards looked to keep it tight in this manner.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, if you'd seen the first half, Lookie, our 'defence' could be described as anything but tight! It did get better, though.
  • Options
    Yeah you're right Weeg, I did choose my words carefully... "Pards looked to keep it tight..." ;-)
  • Options
    We had that with Konchesky at one point, I remember Curbs played him left side of midfield a couple of times and I thought the Youga/Basey left worked really well against West Brom in the cup last season. I think Basey has a lot about him in terms of his versatility.

But starting so defensively AND throwing Josh Wright in for his début? Given our performance in the first half Pardews team selection could be seen, at best, to have been a dreadful and dangerous dalliance and at worse, a complete and utter joke far below what we should expect from a manager of his experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did we start with 5 at the back, or was it 4 with Basey playing left midfield. Whatever it was it didn't work and the re-organisation at half time was much better.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The reason why I brought the whole "5 at the back" thing up was that to my eyes, Basey and appeared to be playing in defence at left back.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Did we start with 5 at the back, or was it 4 with Basey playing left midfield. Whatever it was it didn't work and the re-organisation at half time was much better.

That's what I thought it was, Bing - Basey at left mid. Difficult to tell at times, though!
  • Options
    Looks as if we are all in agreement on this one. From another thread I've just posted:

"First half we were dreadful. Missed pass after missed pass. Set up was all wrong with Basey playing wide left and instead of bombing forward he seemed more intent on acting as Crainie's minder at full back. Pards compounded the situation by moving Ambrose inside behind the front two during the half which meant, effectively, we had no width whatsoever."
  • Options
    Well if we were playing five at the back, either deliberately or because of Basey's natural inclination to defend, it makes it easier for me to understand why we didn't seem to have any real link up. At times Bailey was playing just behind the strikers and there was just nobody to pass to in midfield.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Curbs used to regularaly pack the midfield with defenders.[/quote]

Curbs used to pack the defence with centre forwards!
  • Options
    I seem to recall playing 5 at the back in a game at Luton and being 5 down after about 40 mins late 80's early 90's i think...then again i could be wrong :)
  • Options
    late 80's or 90's you sure you were sober enough to remember any games.
  • Options
    Sober whats that?