Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(closed) Fans Forum

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    All some people seem to want to see is happy clappy sky sports positiveness all the time, dont criticise the manager, dont criticise the board, dont criticise the squad, all mind our P's & Q's, pass the ketchup.

I don't think that is what AFKA put in that statement above at all. By all means criticise the club, manager, team selection, kit, grass seed, beer choice but accept that people do have different opinons, and that does mean they are a muppet/cretin/idiot, if you disagree, or agree, don't just put "i agree" or "i dont agree. you are an idiot" have some reasoning behind your thought process and suggestions for how things can be improved in your opinion. this doesn't have to be done aggresively, there are many debates going on all over this forum, that are reasonable, and tolerant of other peoples opinons. its when things are posted to get a 'rise' out of others when it breaks down and sadly loses the point.
  • Options
    I'm waiting to be barred
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Ive said this in person to Danny on more than one occasion in person.....I dont envy you the task of moderating this board......Unfortunately a few members have taken up the keyboard warrior attitude...maybe its about time that some people were shown the door....regardless of who they are or how self important they may be. Fortunately we dont have these problems on the ADU having a smaller audience, but I have to say I wouldnt tolerate some of the behaviour thats been displayed in recent times, and to be totally honest that minority will just drive the regulars away.

indeed, how netaddicks went
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Ive said this in person to Danny on more than one occasion in person.....I dont envy you the task of moderating this board......Unfortunately a few members have taken up the keyboard warrior attitude...maybe its about time that some people were shown the door....regardless of who they are or how self important they may be. Fortunately we dont have these problems on the ADU having a smaller audience, but I have to say I wouldnt tolerate some of the behaviour thats been displayed in recent times, and to be totally honest that minority will just drive the regulars away.

indeed, how netaddicks went

sadly yes, and all because of a handful of posters that spoilt it for everyone else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm waiting to be barred

Good grief man, get a grip
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I'm waiting to be barred

Good grief man, get a grip

were-doomed.jpg
  • Options
    Can I still make jokes about Razil & his fence?
  • Options
    I love the debate & banter, albeit I'm mainly a lurker. I've just spoken to a regular poster & I was telling him that I'm perversely enjoying this season due to the fact we're so bad (please don't ask me to elaborate on this because I can't!). There's some posters on here who I know I would see eye to eye with in a pub & others I wouldn't but that's the fun of an open forum. Moderation is by defintion, in the opinion of the moderator which not everyone will agree with. Still think the people involved in this site have a thankless task. On this occasion I couldn't understand the reason for the closed thread but thank you for explaining the reasons.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    All some people seem to want to see is happy clappy sky sports positiveness all the time, dont criticise the manager, dont criticise the board, dont criticise the squad, all mind our P's & Q's, pass the ketchup.

I don't think that is what AFKA put in that statement above at all. By all means criticise the club, manager, team selection, kit, grass seed, beer choice but accept that people do have different opinons, and that does mean they are a muppet/cretin/idiot, if you disagree, or agree, don't just put "i agree" or "i dont agree. you are an idiot" have some reasoning behind your thought process and suggestions for how things can be improved in your opinion. this doesn't have to be done aggresively, there are many debates going on all over this forum, that are reasonable, and tolerant of other peoples opinons. its when things are posted to get a 'rise' out of others when it breaks down and sadly loses the point.

Suzi, I think the "positive" comment was aimed at me. I hope I have dealt with that in my follow up post. Over the years I have been accused by some of having rose-tinted spectacles or being a Board kiss a*se. Thats fine by me. Each to his own. I generally respond to extremes either way and try to put a counter argument. That tends to be a pro manager/club but not always. As you say putting the counter argument rather than calling names is what is needed.
  • Options

Not AFKA by any means, there are people on this forum however, whom, once they see anything negative, they jump on the poster and tell them "keep it positive", back the team, the manager, the board, regardless.

I have been guilty in the past of saying things I have later regretted, it least I am adult enough to admit it, but there are some on here who wear rose tinted glasses all the time, and if all they want is "positiveness" 24/7, this site will become sterile and definitely not representative of the forum as a whole.

Maybe some people dont like conflict or debate?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair comment mate. Same here. Alma?
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited October 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I have been guilty in the past of saying things I have later regretted, it least I am adult enough to admit it, but there are some on here who wear rose tinted glasses all the time, and if all they want is "positiveness" 24/7, this site will become sterile and definitely not representative of the forum as a whole.

Maybe some people dont like conflict or debate?[/quote]

As a poster who quite happily stands up for his viewpoint that come match day, a vibrant pro-Charlton Valley would give the team a better chance of winning I will give you a perfectly reasonable debate on why I believe this. This thread is about ironing out how we can deal with our differences so please step this way:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=20560&page=1#Item_12
  • Options

Not AFKA by any means, there are people on this forum however, whom, once they see anything negative, they jump on the poster and tell them "keep it positive", back the team, the manager, the board, regardless.

I have been guilty in the past of saying things I have later regretted, it least I am adult enough to admit it, but there are some on here who wear rose tinted glasses all the time, and if all they want is "positiveness" 24/7, this site will become sterile and definitely not representative of the forum as a whole.

I think i firmly sit in that camp myself, and i get frustrated myself with all the booer, get pards out, we're going down people, as you see "jumping on the positive people" it does work both ways. I still don't think i resort to name calling, (if I have then i'm sorry!) its just a debate opened up between the 2 camps, there is a scale of positivity and negativity, and everyone slots in along the way. in the way you get possibly annoyed by the "keep up the positive" remarks, there is someone getting annoyed elsewhere by the doom and gloom remarks and the idea is there is a balance of both to keep the board ticking over. It is conflict and debate, and if people can't agree to disagree without resorting to name calling, then they shouldn't be here. whether by removing themselves or being removed by admin.
    I don't know who you are specifically talking about either, i'm just talking generally.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Maybe some people dont like conflict or debate?

Maybe some people mistake the positive point of view as being weak rather than given for the purpose of balance and often given against the tide of opinion. There are at least two sides to every opinion and when things go wrong on the pitch as they undoubtably have at present, it is very easy to follow the line of least resistance and join in with the moaning "feeding frenzy" which naturally occurs. Taking a positive line is difficult to make under those circumstances but it is needed as a counterweight.

When Pards took over, pretty much everybody praised him. I was, on balance positive towards his appointment but I remember posting that his record at Reading and West Ham was not that fantastic and he did make mistakes which I hoped he would have learned from. That was not a particularly popular view at the time but it was put forward to add some balance to the euphoria which surrounded his apppointment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]I have been guilty in the past of saying things I have later regretted, it least I am adult enough to admit it, but there are some on here who wear rose tinted glasses all the time, and if all they want is "positiveness" 24/7, this site will become sterile and definitely not representative of the forum as a whole.

As a poster who quite happily stands up for his viewpoint that come match day, a vibrant pro-Charlton Valley would give the team a better chance of winning I will give you a perfectly reasonable debate on why I believe this. This thread is about ironing out how we can deal with our differences so please step this way:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=20560&page=1#Item_12

Bloody self publicists, there everywhere :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Maybe some people dont like conflict or debate?

Maybe some people mistake the positive point of view as being weak rather than given for the purpose of balance and often given against the tide of opinion. There are at least two sides to every opinion and when things go wrong on the pitch as they undoubtably have at present, it is very easy to follow the line of least resistance and join in with the moaning "feeding frenzy" which naturally occurs. Taking a positive line is difficult to make under those circumstances but it is needed as a counterweight.

Nice one Bing.....
    When Pards took over, pretty much everybody praised him. I was, on balance positive towards his appointment but I remember posting that his record at Reading and West Ham was not that fantastic and he did make mistakes which I hoped he would have learned from. That was not a particularly popular view at the time but it was put forward to add some balance to the euphoria which surrounded his apppointment.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    AFKA hits the nail on the head when he says all we have to judge on on here are the words - no facial expression/ body language to aid the interpretation.

Sometimes I do think we can all be a bit too over-sensitive. There are only one or two posters on here that really annoy me, and I just ignore them. No doubt I annoy some people at times (apologies if so) - we didn't all choose each other as friends, and in lots of cases, Charlton is all we have in common. But I normally enjoy the diversity of opinion and views, mainly on the football, but every now and again on other stuff too. I'd hate to see the forum tear itself apart because we don't know where to draw the 'toleration' line.

Here are a couple of suggestions - if I may - to try and make the moderators' thankless task less onerous:

If you see a post that annoys you, imagine there's a ;-) on the end. Does it still annoy you? Before lambasting the poster, find out if they simply forgot to put the ;-).

If the post is raising a serious concern about the club, the management or a player, try and persuade the poster why they should not be so concerned, instead of assuming that they must be on a wind-up and telling them to go do one or whatever.

And finally, if it is really winding you up, just ignore the thread or leave the forum for a little while. Hard to do sometimes, as if i'm really honest, I think a lot of us actually enjoy the 'car crash' threads in a black sort of way...

Thanks AFKA and co for all your hard work and please don't lose the faith :-)
  • Options
    I'm just glad what I say in the pub doesn't get on here. . . . .

This forum is good banter if anyone takes it personal they need their heads testing.

It is the internet afterall.
  • Options
    %o9