Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fawlty Towers

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Which was the best episode?

I know the German one was a classic, but for me the Health Inspector & Manuel's rat was comedy of the highest order!

To jog your memories

FT Episode guide

Comments

• Options
    Can you really separate them....for me the greatest comedy series ever....and I've seen some fantastic stuff over the years.....yeah, for me the very best there has been in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Wedding Party was a cracker
  • Options
    When in the hotel game i had a lady complain about the view out of her window. It was Sloane Street. I tried hard not to do the speach by Bazil " what did u expect ? herds of wilder beast etc etc etc ".

If you have ever had an old motor who hasnt at some stage wanted to thrash it at some time like Bazil did with his car and the branch.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if the BBC will screen an episode in place of this week's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross?? ;)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I wonder if the BBC will screen an episode in place of this week's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross?? ;)[/quote]

Manuel and the rat,lets start writing to the beeb now
  • Options
    I think that 'The Kipper and The Corpse' was my favourite.

Why did they wait so long to show the final episode in the 2nd series. Surely it wasn't just for me as a 7th birthday present?
  • Options
    Basil the rat.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    i Love the german one it is one of the funniest piece of comedy ever
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5Tq3PJ83U&feature=related
  • Options
    When first series came out it was on BBC 2. I never watched it. They then brought it back on BBC 1 and I started watching it. I think the first one I watched was the Builders. I thought it was really good. Not absolutely hilarious until I watched Gourmet Night. When he wacked the car, I laughed so much I felt off the sofa. Then came the Germans which was, if possible, even funnier

The much awaited second series didn't disappoint. The first "Communication Problems/Mrs Richards" I think of all of them was the best most crafted script and when the vase is broken at the end, the pay off is pretty much perfect.

Those around then may remember that there was a strike and the final one of the twelve - Basil The Rat, was not made at the time the others were and went out at a later date - I think they re-ran the second series and showed it at the end of the re-run. Probably my favourite would be than one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Communication problems is probably my favourite,although gourmet night runs it very close.
  • Options
    Whats the one with the old Colonel chasing rats in the bar with a gun??

Brilliant

Dead guests in the room, views of the hanging gardens of babylon, thrashing the car with a branch.
  • Options
    When Bazil wins money on the horses and he has to hide it from Sybil its stuff of legend because weve all had to explain where that £50 came from when u have a little bet come in, ITs amazing to think that the likes of fawlty towers and some mothers do have em only made a handfull of episodes but are still as fresh and as funny as ever before, the likes of Katy Brand (NO NOT RUSSELL!!) and Karren Taylor could well do with a comedy history lesson or two, keep it simple keep it real keep it FUNNY!!
  • Options
    "ahem" (clears throat) "I know nut-hing !".
  • Options
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_0tNAclytdY
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]When Bazil wins money on the horses and he has to hide it from Sybil its stuff of legend because weve all had to explain where that £50 came from when u have a little bet come in, ITs amazing to think that the likes of fawlty towers and some mothers do have em only made a handfull of episodes but are still as fresh and as funny as ever before, the likes of Katy Brand (NO NOT RUSSELL!!) and Karren Taylor could well do with a comedy history lesson or two, keep it simple keep it real keep it FUNNY!!

I agree about Katy Brand (what is it with the Brand surname and crap comedy?) but Karen Taylor is very funny IMO, especially when she whacks them out in the "tits, tits, tits" sketches (or is that just me?)
  • Options
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c3LbhJg3odw&NR=1

see your point now or points... In the words of fishnets, I WOULD.
  • Options
    Me too DA9.

Adam, there was nothing simple or real about Fawlty Towers, the writing was complex and brilliantly crafted, and the whole scenario totally surreal. And very very funny.

I loved the one where Kurt the chef got drunk, and professed his love for Manuel.
  • Options
    Hey Algarve, what i meant by simple was, a small cast no great sets or specail effects it could have been a play in the west end on one stage and still be as funny as it was, the real part was that we have all come across 'Bazil' type B&B owners on our travels around the UK, in fact Bazil was based on one such manager the monty python team meet when on a location shoot, I call the mrs Sybil when she starts moaning at me as im sure millions of people do, thats why i called it real some of the best comedy ever made has been based on 'Real' people as the best comedy comes from real life.
  • Options
    See what you are getting at Adam, but I don't see anything over complicated about Karen Taylor's comedy either. In fact a lot of it is very basic, verging on the purile.

Which appeals to my infantile and purile sense of humour.

That and the fact that I fancy her something rotten...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Algarve, great minds think a like... I will drink to that.
  • Options
    I reckons she's better fun than a Nintendo Wii
  • Options
    got some norks tho aint she, very nice
  • Options
    Havnt we done this before with Karen Taylor i swear Fishnets did a whole topic on her. but yet again incase she should be reading this I WOULD...
  • Options
    yeah, she was a "wouldyou ?" weeks back.
    I think it was 98% yes.
  • Options
    only 98%?
  • Options
    the 2 % just have to be gay!!
  • Options
    I would have to say for sheer farce then you can't beat the Hotel Inspectors as he goes from one guest to the next thinking they one of the inspectors. Bernard Cribbins' character - the ultra fussy spoon seller is classic.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Whats the one with the old Colonel chasing rats in the bar with a gun??

That's Basil the Rat or The Public Health Inspector. The greatest line from which was from Basil to Manuel

"don't you have rats in Spain, or did Franco have them all shot?"
  • Options
    No one has menetioned the Hotel Inspectors and the wonderful performance by Bernard Cribbens as the spoon salesman.