Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you feel sorry for Darren?

He IS a born goalscorer - one who thrives on confidence and getting a run in the side - he showed in pre-seaon what his game is all about.

Even with Spurs in freefall, he's their top goalscorer, yet still gets looked over for that pile of Russian rubbish .....

Sigh .... I think he actually IS the best English goalscorer around - better than Defoe. And he deserves first team football and a side who would appreciate that goalscorers do not grow on trees! He's the only English centre forward with pace who can play in channels, head the ball and play wide too ...

Comments

• Be honest ;
    Wasn't he the 1st choice on everyones list when we thought the takeover was going through ?
  • I still think the jury is out with him. He did well for us especially in his first season. Eriksson clearly didn't rate him, even when he was doing well for us. He has struggled for Spurs. I accept that he's got a few this season and when he's started it has tended to be on his own up front. I think he has the potential to be the best English goalscorer around but he ain't the finished article yet in my view.
  • Bing, hes only 23 (I think!), give 'im time !
  • No, plays for Spurs now, not concerned.
  • Unless you are an exceptional player/person, a "big" club needs it's strikers to be men. Darren was outstanding for us in an environment that suited him - you have to have broad shoulders to play at WHL given their expectations and that comes with confidence in yourself. A great player that needs the support to make him so perhaps? If he keeps his excellent attitude and adds self-belief to it, his skill (which is not in doubt for me) will take him right up there.
  • I am with DA9 i want him to do well because he served us well, but he choose to step up and move on so it is not my concern
  • i'm no fan of spurs, and les has his soft spot for arsenal, so it was quite amusing last night watching the game, and not giving two hoots who won just fancied it beinga good one. oh no, turns out, bent comes on, has a shot, and i find myself cheering for spurs. I feel a bit wrong. but did punch the air when they equalised. I like bentley too. that was a team of try-hards last night, they're down on confidence, but to come back when everyone including their own fans gave up on them to get a point, shows great desire, whether that came from the players themselves, the fans that stayed or the manager i don't know but it was a terrific display.
  • No, I just can't, he wanted to go to Spurs, he knew that at the time they had 3 top quality strikers in front of him.

Life would have been different if he had gone to West Ham
  • bit of the underdog about them now, and arsenal are quite arrogant, another part of me says 'spurs fans'...
  • [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite] I think he actually IS the best English goalscorer around - better than Defoe...

No way is he better than Defoe.
  • Sponsored links:

• I must say Defoe has a lot more to go his game, namely creativity and awareness of players around him, then Darren does. More skill on the ball as well.
  • From my point of view, I was actually surprised he didnt start last night.

However, when he came on last night with 20 minutes to go, he was the main catalyst of changing the game. He ran his socks off when he came on and with him looking to get behind Gallas and Silvestre, he gave them something to worry about and created much more space for Modric, Jenas and Huddlestone behind.

Took his goal extremely well and looked very sharp when he came on.
    Thats 6 goals in 10 games for him now. Wouldnt be surprised to see him get 20+ this season as it goes on.

Fully expect him to start against Liverpool.

But he is no way better than Defoe.
  • Bent looks sharp at the moment though.
    If Redknapp starts him on Saturday instead of that Russian waste of space I can see Spurs turning the Scousers over.
  • Different player than Defoe, I don't think you can compare the two as players... One is 6ft and 13stone, works his socks off for others, make selfless runs, is strong on the ball, is willing to track back and close down defenders, good in the air and scores goals. The other is 5ft 4 and 10 stone, quick over short distances, can beat players in a tight space, has good close control, and is deadly around the box.

Bents strengths suited Charlton where oposition teams pushed on a bit more, Spurs often find themselves to be trying to break teams down with men behind the ball, there is little space in behind. If i had to pick one player that the ball fell to in a crowded penalty box i'd take Defoe over Bent in a flash, if i had to pick a player that had to run 30 yards and hold off a defender on the way and stick the ball back in the net i'd take Bent over Defoe every time.

I see Bent more comparable to Heskey and think Defoe could be a decent partner for him. Not that Defoe can join till next season anyway...
  • Yep defo better than defo-- faster -- can shoot with both feet and head the ball. 36 goals in two seasons playing for a shit football team. a few goals played out of position in a hugely over rated footaball team.
  • Seemed to lose a yard of pace in his second season with us. Don't know whether he's ever recaptured that zip that used to take him clear and put him 1 on 1 with the keeper. Maybe the reason for his loss of form is has been as simple as that.
  • [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Seemed to lose a yard of pace in his second season with us. Don't know whether he's ever recaptured that zip that used to take him clear and put him 1 on 1 with the keeper. Maybe the reason for his loss of form is has been as simple as that.

He played most of that season with medial knee ligament damage, when he should have taken 6 weeks or so off to get it right, but we couldn't affford him to in a relegation fight. I think he's got his pace back now. How long before he replaces Heskey in the England squad? I think he and Rooney would make a wonderful combination.
  • I bloody care. Had these wanky spus fans at my work really slag him off and I want to whack the skinless knob ends.

He has 1 in 2 ratio at that god forsaken club and has been the scapegoat for every shit performance GIVEN by all the other no mark pkayers at that club.

It annoys me because he is a cracking fella great pro and deserves better.
  • [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Bing, hes only 23 (I think!), give 'im time !

Absolutely. My point was though in response to the comment that he "IS the best English goalscorer around".
  • I love Dazza, wish him all the best in whatever he does.

BUt I can't feel sorry for someone who earns £40k+ a week by sitting on a bench
  • Sponsored links:

• could not care less he is nothing to do with us now
  • edited October 2008
    Agree with BigRedEvil id love to do that when im older.
  • I think he is great.

I think of Darren and get that warm glow that i rarely get from another man, Stone apart.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]could not care less he is nothing to do with us now

I understand where you are coming from I feel the same about Parker because of the way he left but Benty's just different for me dunno why.
  • So AFKA if Darren asked you out would you?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: pickwick[/cite]So AFKA if Darren asked you out would you?[/quote]

Well, those who have been on here a long while will know MCS was very impressed with his chopper........

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=840
  • Indeed.....
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Had these wanky spus fans at my work really slag him off and I want to whack the skinless knob ends.

Now that's proper funny!
  • dont get me wrong i think Bent was great for us and think he is a top player!
    i cant stand spurs though.
    But i dont feel sorry for him at all!he does ok for himself
  • Reading this thread just makes me a little depressed to tell you the truth, discussing the merits of Darren and DeFoe.....yet another two great players that this club, for one reason or another, let get away.....history repeats itself over and over again at Charlton.
    The so nearly club.