Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Barnsley - Poll, predictions and pre-match views

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Possible last chance saloon for Al (the 'Sooper' was snatched back in a dawn raid 7 months ago).

How do you see it going ?

What team do you think should play, and how different do you think it will be from Pards' finger in the air approach ?

Comments

• Must win there defence was awful against Palace.
  • Think we will win 3-1
  • I went with 2-0 in the predictions league
  • My heart says 2-0 win, my head says 1-1 and Pards under even more pressure. I can see us having one fine half and another poor one. I am usually very optimistic about most things, but have this gut feel that things are going to get a bit tougher before we turn the corner and the Board will have some interesting and difficult conversations in the coming weeks. I hope my heart is right!
  • MUST WIN, leaving it at that!
  • Can't go. Hope it's a decent result (a decent performance would be a bonus).
  • Will be getting from from my birthday party totally hammered so heres hoping I can even get the commentary to work...

would be delighted with a win... its been a good week, good week at work, scored the winner in my five a side...

so well prob lose!!
  • 2-1 Charlton win, Hudson & Dickson to score.
  • edited October 2008
    2-0 going to be a tough game imho
  • The turning point. Crushing win to lift the confidence and kick start the season
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-0 victory it's about time and we never lose at home to barnsley....
  • We'll scrape another draw, remain fifth from bottom, and AP will continue to cling on by his fingertips...
  • 5-1 Barnsley.

A terrible defensive display y Charlton who are 3 down after half an hour. Varney misses two open goals. Youga is sent off. But Pardew still thinks we played well but just needed a bit of luck.
  • I see Henry's using that phrase again , which really oughta be banned : "turning point".

I will only begin to contemplate using it when we win not one game but two back-to-back.

Tomorrow will be a game of two halves (ha ha). We will be awful in one and decent in the other (can't predict which half will be which)...Barnsley's failure to punish us in our 'bad' half will see us sneak home 2-1.
  • Think we are well past turning points for our current manager now I'm afraid. A narrow 2-1 home win which will put off the inevitable for another few weeks.
  • Dont think it will be a turning point but we will win a high scoring game.
  • good win on saturday followed by a awful defeat to plymouth on tuesday... same old pards charlton....
  • Hopefully Basey, Semedo and Wright will be in for Holland, Youga and Primus and we will have a good win at long last!

Also hope to see McLeod in for Varney - which as much as anything should loft some pressure of Varney and hopefully he can come on for half an hour chomping at the bit.
  • if we lose to plymouth on tuesday we really are in the shite as we are playing their first team next saturday
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]if we lose to plymouth on tuesday we really are in the shite as we are playing their first team next saturday

shhhhhhhh don't tell Plymouth. We're getting there early and kicking off 7.45 Tuesday. By 3.00 pm Saturday when the Plymouth players turn up I reckon we will have scored at least once. ; - )
  • Henry wrote:

''We're getting there early and kicking off 7.45 Tuesday. By 3.00 pm Saturday when the Plymouth players turn up I reckon we will have scored at least once.''

That's a bold prediction, Henry! So presumably Varney's not playing...
  • I reckon a nervy 2-1 to us. Pardew will saw we've turned the corner (if you keep going round the same corner do you end up going round in circles?)

Then he'll change 6 players and we'll lose to Plymouth
  • edited October 2008
    I thought the Pardew pre-match interview on the OS is surprisingly coherent (well most of it). He's particularly convincing on why he left Wright out v Ipswich (which I had criticised) and quite honest in saying only Weaver, Hudson, Cranie and Bailey can demand to be on the team sheet at the moment.

This bit suggests we're not in for a great afternoon, though :

"Ideally, I'd love a good win and for us to play free-flowing football, but I don't think that will be the case on Saturday, so I'll take a win however it comes."

Amen to the last bit, but the first half of the sentence is ominous. I'd like to see him work out how we reproduce those first 25 silky minutes v Bristol City over a full 90, but I suppose I'm being a tad unrealistic there...
  • Hard fought home win, they have a dodgy defence and we have a few players who need to stand up and be counted and a manager who may well be edging closer to the exit if he doesn't start picking up points at home.
  • I have absolutely no confidence in our manager, our defenders, defending solidly for 90 minutes, our forwards scoring or our midfield creating.
    1-0 barnsley.
  • it'll be a draw

the team will be different.....................AGAIN

& i'll be clinging on to any patience, loyalty, trust, admiration...........i ever had for Pardooooooooo

C'MON YOU REDDDDDDSSSSSAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Fish[/cite]Think we will win 3-1

I'll second that...Goals from Ambrose, Varney & Toddy.
  • edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]if we lose to plymouth on tuesday we really are in the shite as we are playing their first team next saturday

shhhhhhhh don't tell Plymouth. We're getting there early and kicking off 7.45 Tuesday. By 3.00 pm Saturday when the Plymouth players turn up I reckon we will have scored at least once. ; - )

Don't tell Sheffield United - who don't seem to know where we play.
    http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/AwayTravelIndex/0,,10418,00.html

(At the time of initial posting:
    Charlton travel
    Away Blade details for the trip to Deepdale)

Mind you another trip they are planning:
    Barnsley travel - Away Blade coach tickets are available price £10, £8 members, or £7 for Junior Blades.
    When the off peak day return by train from Sheffield to Barnsley is £3.50?
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]5-1 Barnsley

Well, I guess none of us expected that, but seems like you were the closest !