Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jamal Campbell Ryce

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Nice to see he has some good things to say about the addicks fans.

Barnsley winger Jamal Campbell-Ryce is relishing the prospect of returning to former club Charlton on Saturday.

The pacey Jamaica international started his career with The Addicks but could not hold down a place in the then Premier League outfit.

He is now hoping for a good response from his former club's supporters when he returns to the Valley - but has promised the home side no favours.

He told skysports.com: "Obviously, it was more difficult to break into the side when I was there, with the club occupying Premier League status under Alan Curbishley and bringing in top quality players.
Difficult

"It was always going to be difficult for a youngster to break through there at the time and I made the decision to leave so that I could play more football and it's worked out quite well."

He added: "Charlton have always got a place in my heart, but at the same time I've got to go back there and understand that there's no such thing as friends in football, so hopefully we'll continue the form we've been showing in recent weeks.

"The fans there have always been great to me and it's a brilliant family club at the Valley, so hopefully I'll get the same sort of response Saturday."

The Tykes have managed to pull away from the foot of the table with two South Yorkshire derby victories and Campbell-Ryce hopes to continue their form into Saturday's clash.

Voodoo

"We had a lot of people saying the club had a voodoo over it when it came to derby games and I think we've put them to bed now with the two victories over Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster.

"They were tough games, but we came out on top and we have to take that into every game this season, not just derby games, and that starts against Charlton on Saturday."

Off-the-field, the Jamaican is pleased to have recently signed a new three-year deal with Barnsley.

He said: "My contract was up at the end of the season and a lot of people felt I was playing for my future whilst that was still the case, so I can just get my head down and continue playing well for the club."

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: superclive[/cite] "Obviously, it was more difficult to break into the side when I was there, with the club occupying Premier League status under Alan Curbishley and bringing in top quality players.
    Difficult

cue OohAhh : - )
  • Options
    i alaways wished the fella well shame he never got in and he is better than Sam so would you swap i would Jamal for Sam all day long
  • Options
    As he points out himself he was around at the wrong time to get a real break at Charlton.

Good luck to him though other than tomorrow and when we travel to Oakwell!
  • Options
    If they get relegated and we stay up we should definitely make a move for him.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ross, I think you're allowing a bit of sentimentality to creep in there...he's not that good mate.....and certainly not that good that we shoud have him on a 'must get back to The Valley' list.
    Sorry but I'd hope to be looking at players far more exciting than Jamal.
  • Options
    He's a winger who can score goals, something we haven't got, and without parachute payments etc we'll have to be looking at cheaper options. He could be one of those.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]He's a winger who can score goals, something we haven't got, and without parachute payments etc we'll have to be looking at cheaper options. He could be one of those.

Ermmmm....well has he really been that much of a success at Barnsley....I'm not sure?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Only when he plays Charlton
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Don't say that Kap....though I know just what you mean!
  • Options
    I was at barnsley away last season and he ran Thatcher ragged