Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Successful Old Codgers

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
The possibility of Campo being swapped with Ambrose set me thinking of successful older players that we have signed.

I guess the definition of "old" in football terms is 30 plus.

The late Cliff Holton made a great impression on me in the sixties. We were in our customary position of second or third from bottom of the old second division and looking certs for relegation when we signed 38 year old Holton from Crystal Palace. He only played about 15 matches for us but scored 7 or 8 goals and we edged our way to safety. Arguably the highlight of his short era was a 5-2 home win against Preston North End.

I can pay Toddy no higher compliment than to say that I thought of Cliff Holton last week after his influence during the second half of the Burnley game.

Who is / was your favourite Charlton old codger?

Comments

• Options
    Cliff Holton is the only one then :-)
  • Options
    Does Paolo count? He was pretty old!
  • Options
    Jorge Costa :-)
  • Options
    John Barnes
  • Options
    Chris Powell
  • Options
    Costa

Crawford
  • Options
    Harry Cripps and Maurice Setters.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Harry Cripps and Maurice Setters.

Cripps did ok but for me Maurice Setters was disappointing. He always seemed to be chasing in his bow legged way but never quite getting there!
  • Options
    Len - I remember Holton (thought he signed from Watford). Recall game against Alan Stephenson of Palace (young centre half tipped for England). Holton gave him a torrid time. I don’t think the lad won a tackle or header the entire game. I also saw him (aged 38) outpace the Preston defence from halfway line to score in that 5-2 win.

There is of course the legend Eddie Firmani, who, when he could not get a game at Southend, returned for 3rd spell I recall a late winner from a corner. Not at his best he still had enough class to help us win yet another relegation battle.

In those days a lot of signings were at the end of their careers. Cripps, Setters (who we treated badly, effectively gave him his cards in hospital after career ending injury), Colin Appleton, Theo Foley, Dietmar Bruck, Ron Saunders. Few had the impact of Holton or Firmani but always thought Saunders was a good centre forward.

Other vets who gave us a season or two include Eamon Dunphy, Brian Whitehouse, Peter Burridge. More recently Garth Crooks and Mark Bowen gave us good service.

Talking of veterans we could use know - Chris Perry (35) would be on my list. Never understood why we let him go. Apart from Costa he was only guy to get Fortune to play to his potential.

Grapevine 49
  • Options
    John Bumstead - did Ok but looked great at Bromley
    Ronnie Moore - a good old warhorse
    Gavin Peacock - can't remember if he didnt anything useful