Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

motivational or just desperate ?

edited October 2008 in General Charlton
Quote...

Alan Pardew is bidding to get his squad in a positive frame of mind for tomorrow’s visit of Barnsley
(3pm), “Ideally, I’d love a good win and for us to play free-flowing football, butI don’t think that will be the case, so I’ll take a win however it comes.”

its hardly motivational or inspiring really is it ? its not the words I d expect a manager to use to install self belief in a teams skills.

but i guess in the end we are just desperate for three points.

Comments

• I really do wonder.. how much longer can the board put up with this? I've backed Pards up until last weekend, I was willing to give him two years but with statements like this... how much longer can he go on?
  • Most of what Pardew has said of late either doesn't make sense or contradicts something he has said previously.

I get the impression he has given up on this job and is trying to force his sacking. He'll get his contract paid out and probably still just has enough credibility left to land a another job.
  • if the directors dont take him down the competency route and dismiss him after a few warnings with no pay off then they are being negligent themselves. Their non football staff would be treated like that so why not their least competent employee.
  • In his defence with two games a week coming thick and fast he is being interviewed at least four times a week at present...at least once before games and then at least once after.
    When you're winning and doing well it's much easier to give interviews with a recurring theme, when your not doing well it's a lot more tricky....as far as interviews go as we're (and he) are having an lousy run he's in a rather awkward situatuon trying to find a way of saying something different four times a week.......not easy I'd say.
  • kentred: has any football manager been sacked this way? Just thinkin it would probably be very hard to prove unless he's actually done something warranting disciplinary, or if there was some peformance clause in his contract, which I doubt. Willing to be proved wrong tho.
  • razil. dont know. but his comments re the aborted takeover etc would warrant dismissal in any other walk of life eg the virgin staff sacked for comments on facebook
  • Funnily enough I thought his pre-match interview on the OS was his most coherent for some time : and I say that as someone who has been highly critical of the nonsense he so often spouts.

The 'don't expect free-flowing football' quote was alarming (why not? we did it for the first 25 mins v Bristol City : shouldn't he be trying to work out how to play like that for 90 mins?) And there's the usual witless guff about how a couple of wins and we'd be in the top ten and pushing for this , that and the other.

But he gave a very reasoned explanation of why he left Wright out at Ipswich and he was very honest in saying only four names demand to be on the team sheet every week at present (Weaver, Hudson, Cranie and Bailey).

I'm not converted and you won't finding me singing 'Super Al' this afternoon : I think the reason the team is dysfunctional (another good word he used!) is almost exclusively down to him. But I did get the impression that he's taken on board the criticisms of the nonsense that he usually talks and was actually trying a bit harder to explain his thinking and tactics, such as they are...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    But he gave a very reasoned explanation of why he left Wright out at Ipswich and he was very honest in saying only four names demand to be on the team sheet every week at present (Weaver, Hudson, Cranie and Bailey).[/quote]

Would have been happy with that quote except the inclusion of Cranie
  • Perhaps the club could go with some motivational posters dotted around the training ground? Something like.....
  • This is meant to raise a smile and is not a personal attack on the club. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]Quote...

Alan Pardew is bidding to get his squad in a positive frame of mind for tomorrow’s visit of Barnsley
    (3pm), “Ideally, I’d love a good win and for us to play free-flowing football, butI don’t think that will be the case, so I’ll take a win however it comes.”[/quote]

When I read it I thought ah that is because we are playing Plymouth who tend to break the play down in the midfield, keep things tight and therefore dont particularly allow free flowing football.
  • Has anyone seen in The Valley home changing room lately?
  • and more
  • and more
  • and in Mr Pardew's office...
  • edited November 2008
    Sort it out Pards!!

(My Dad won't buy me a Charlton jumper suit till you do!)
  • edited November 2008
    Can someone decorate the room for tomorrow's NW Kent meeting with some of these?

That may make the point none too subtly...
  • [cite]Posted By: Alan Pardew[/cite]“Ideally, I’d love a good win and for us to play free-flowing football, butI don’t think that will be the case, so I’ll take a win however it comes.”

lol! isn't that how every manager wants it?
  • edited November 2008
    Thats a lovely photo.................... and a good one for the caption thingy................

So the average life expectancy is three score years and Ten!!! means I have to watch 70 years of this sh^te, Daddy can I say sh*te?