Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 'R' word

edited November 2006 in General Charlton
I've been a-thinking regarding the leavers at the ned of the season and I've arrived at the following:
Carson - I think he'll return to the Scousers irrespective of our position;
D. Bent - obviously and good luck to him, any prospective rebuild will depend on his sale;
Diawara - can't see hima nd his gloves playing at Layer Road on a midweek January evening;
JFH - 'Nuff said.
Romm - Out of contract, wgaes too high;
L. Young - following this summers shenanigans, I just can't see him staying loyal to the cause.

I don't think we would raise more than 15M for the lot either.

I'm not being negative, I think I'm just slowly resigning myself to every possibility.

Comments

• hello charley.

Traore/Faye/Reid would stay as well then??
  • Hi Charley, you still overseas ?

Well three of those in JFH, Carson and Romm we won't get a penny for. But with Bent and Young are probably 5 of our highest wages. If those 5 left, and we got a minimum £13m for those two, i think we will be in quite a strong position. We would have the parachute payment, money in the bank and a vastly reduced wage bill.

It certainly won't be all doom and gloom. When West Ham went down they managed to pick up decent players like Reo-Coker, and come back stronger from it. We are still in a massive transitional period, ground development is now completely out the window, we need to plan on the pitch for the next five years, and it may need a drop for one season to help blood that.
  • Hi B, Hi AFKA,

1st - B. I had forgotten Traore so he'll be off. Reid will stay, I think he's happy just to be playing and he'll stay. Faye also as he's not pulling up any trees at the moment and the decider will be if anyone shows interest which, at the moment, I don't think they will.

2nd - AFKA. Still in sunny Switzerland. Too be honest as much as I don't want to see relegation, I still think we would be better suited than most to survive and thrive. The teams that don't are those stripped back to barebones i.e. Leeds.

I saw the Everton game on Sky. Reid impressed me. D.B.'s not looking his old self and Big Bent for me turned the game, I'd like to see him start instead of JFH.
  • i have a suspicion we won't be seeing JFH for a while.......
  • from what I've heard / read, I don't think it's going to be that much of a loss but obviously those who watch will decide better.

Also, should relegation occur, I would immagine our youth system getting a kick up the 'arris, long overdue.
  • There is Walker to come into the equation too.
  • Stephan Andersen might even get a game (if he hasn't gone as well).
  • there were rumours that Andersen was prepared to drop down a division in order to secure regular football, I'm fairly confident he would stay.
  • Oh well, looks like I got that last one wrong then, din't I.................