Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

First Brand and Ross, Now Clarkson

edited November 2008 in Not Sports Related
Got to be honest, I'm not as bothered about this one though it was a bit risque before the watershed.

Comments

• Options
    Some people haven't got anything better to do ...
  • Options
    I laughed my arse off when he said it and everyone watching that show knows what he is like, people should grow up. Funny that the truck drivers have not complained.

Best bit though was when May ran over his piano
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Got to be honest, I'm not as bothered about this one though it was a bit risque before the watershed.
    Suprised you're not bothered as you work with him every week.
  • Options
    I didn't see the show or hear what he said but I'm disgusted.

Who do I write to to complain : - )
  • Options
    Seriously what was said and why was it offensive?
  • Options
    Clarkson lorry driver quip sparks viewer complaints
    Tuesday, 04 Nov 2008 10:36

Nearly 200 viewers complain about Jeremy Clarkson's lorry driver joke

The BBC has been forced to defend another of its presenter after nearly 200 viewers complained about a remark made by Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson.

The outspoken motoring journalist was taking part in a lorry-driving task on Sunday night's edition of the show when he joked that lorry drivers kill sex workers.

"Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day," the 48-year-old said.

The comments may have been a reference to Steve Wright, a lorry driver jailed in February for the murder of five prostitutes.

The so-called Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe, who killed 13 women - many of them prostitutes - was also a truck driver.

Some 188 viewers called the BBC to complain about Clarkson's joke, which was broadcast in the wake of the scandal surrounding Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross' prank phone calls to veteran actor Andrew Sachs.

In a statement, the BBC said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.

"This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

However, James Bower, a spokesman for the United Road Transport Union, the body had received "dozens" of complaints from its members.

"We would absolutely condemn what he said about murdering prostitutes. It beggars belief that those words can be broadcast on TV", he added.

"The BBC is an institution that is paid for by the licence fee and they should not be allowing this kind of sick joke."

Media regulator Ofcom confirmed it had been contacted by viewers upset at Clarkson's joke.

"These complaints are currently being assessed against the broadcasting code," a spokesman said.

"All UK broadcasters must adhere to Ofcom's broadcasting code which sets standards for the content of television and radio broadcasting." End of story
  • Options
    During the show, Clarkson joked about truck drivers, claiming they only cared about petrol prices and murdering prostitutes:
    [cite]Posted By: Clarkson[/cite]"This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job, change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."
  • Options
    People really do have too much time on their hands if they find that comment offensive & took the time to phone up & complain.

P.S.. I found out who the Stig is this weekend from a makeup lady who works on set & no I am not telling you !
  • Options
    Do they put make up on his crash helmet then?
  • Options
    When the BBC witch hunt has finally finished and any hint of entertainment removed from the BBC and we're forced to watch endless repeats of Strictly Come Dancing, who can i complain to?

I'm just glad that Mock the Week seems to have passed below the moral outrage radar, some of Frankie Boyles stuff would have him thrown in the Tower of London with campaigns by the Mail to behead him as "this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed in a modern democratic society"

I'm going to stick two fingers up at the moaners and watch clips on you tube of jokes about having sex with an owl, pedophillia in the Church... join me brothers and sisters

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=frankie+boyle&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=youtube.com&hl=en
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it was a funny comment, people should try and get a sense of humour otherwise tv will become grey mush (more than it is already)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T[/cite]When the BBC witch hunt has finally finished and any hint of entertainment removed from the BBC and we're forced to watch endless repeats of Strictly Come Dancing, who can i complain to?

I'm just glad that Mock the Week seems to have passed below the moral outrage radar, some of Frankie Boyles stuff would have him thrown in the Tower of London with campaigns by the Mail to behead him as "this kind of thing shouldn't be allowed in a modern democratic society"

I'm going to stick two fingers up at the moaners and watch clips on you tube of jokes about having sex with an owl, pedophillia in the Church... join me brothers and sisters

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=frankie+boyle&oi=navquery_searchbox&sa=X&as_sitesearch=youtube.com&hl=en

Some of his jokes about the Scottish!!!!!!!!

I do like mock the week.
  • Options
    They do.
  • Options
    Mock the week and frankie boyle especially - a cut above!
  • Options
    I think the moral minority will be complaining about anything and everything now, people who watch Top Gear know what to expect from the Presenters, the people who complain just love to complain regardless, as for Mock the Week, you should see the stuff they cut!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Without a doubt Frankie Boyle is the funniest man on tele. Is he in any other programmes?

I guess he has the perfect defence against the moral minority: If you're liable to be shocked, don't watch a programme with "Mock" in the title.
  • Options
    Ah, but you don't even have to have watched (or listened to) a programme to be outraged by it, do you...

Agree with Stig, Frankie Boyle is top man on TV at the moment.
  • Options
    Frankie does a lot of writing for comedy show's too, he's quite often listed in the credits.