Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Old football crowd 'characters'

Every club always seemed to have an oddball character, well i've just found Walsall's !!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZy1h75QW50

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0U8eanWoYDA&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oiQWJYu_RFU&feature=related

Comments

• Options
    bloody hell, i've found an even nuttier walsall one !!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cl1DGpRY2fk
  • Options
    Well we did have Dennis. Plus a few others. Danny (not you AFKA) who used to get lewis coaches in the 80s was a freak, I mean character.
  • Options
    Don - Who was the bloke who used to go on lewis coaches and was always trollied? Trollied from the moment we picked him up at Greenwich to the moment we dropped him off..............
  • Options
    I know who you mean but can't think of his name. The Greenwich pick up that does spring to mind though is Dymchurch. Wonder if he is still alive?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I know who you mean but can't think of his name. The Greenwich pick up that does spring to mind though is Dymchurch. Wonder if he is still alive?[/quote]

Are you thinking of Stevie Allchurch? (not much hair or brians?). If so, I bumped into him on the riverfront in the Summer, and yes he still gets to some home games. I can still picture about twenty faces from the Lewis's number one coach. Driver Eddie, Betty Hutchins, her daughter, little Sandra, "Mum and Son," the loner Ivan (and occasionally his brother), John Rock, Stevie Allchurch and others whose names escape me now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]bloody hell, i've found an even nuttier walsall one !!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cl1DGpRY2fk

reminds me of when homer simpson became the mascot for the springfield isotopes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I know who you mean but can't think of his name. The Greenwich pick up that does spring to mind though is Dymchurch. Wonder if he is still alive?

Are you thinking of Stevie Allchurch? (not much hair or brians?). If so, I bumped into him on the riverfront in the Summer, and yes he still gets to some home games. I can still picture about twenty faces from the Lewis's number one coach. Driver Eddie, Betty Hutchins, her daughter, little Sandra, "Mum and Son," the loner Ivan (and occasionally his brother), John Rock, Stevie Allchurch and others whose names escape me now.

What period are you talking about as I used to do Lewises regularly from 72-77?

I can come up with a whole batch of names of characters from that time, from Chris Slattery to Les Turner, KPG man .....
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Anyone seen the bloke that does Twist and Shout at West Ham? Who's gonna start the Macarena at the next home game then?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]bloody hell, i've found an even nuttier walsall one !!

[url]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cl1DGpRY2fk[/url][/quote]

That's brilliant.
  • Options
    My other team is Maidstone Utd, and I have been watching them since I was 13. Last week a much loved fan known as "Elvis" died. He went to almost every game no matter what weather etc. He always wore the same clothes, took (and used) his rattle, etc. Even shortly after have a heart attack, he went to see a game in a borrowed wheelchair. Most non-league supporters who knew of Maidstone knew him.
    RIP Elvis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cardinal Sin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I know who you mean but can't think of his name. The Greenwich pick up that does spring to mind though is Dymchurch. Wonder if he is still alive?

What period are you talking about as I used to do Lewises regularly from 72-77?

I can come up with a whole batch of names of characters from that time, from Chris Slattery to Les Turner, KPG man .....

Oggy - I was going from 77 but I'm guessing most of the regulars were going from the early 70's. I was trying to think of Chris Slattery's surname a few weeks ago but couldn't remember it. He had been to 400-odd consecutive matches as I remember and didn't he break a leg playing against a Charlton youth team and end up breaking his sequence of matches too? I still see Les Turner regularly, especially if I make a rare away game.
  • Options
    My Mum used to work with Les Turner at about that time - still see him around sometimes. Also remember Geoff (don't know his surname) - bumped into him in the Club Shop earlier this season and had a quick natter. Not sure he knew who I was!!! He doesn't go away much now.
  • Options
    Does the name Pete Golding ring any bells from those around that era ? Late 60s / 70s
  • Options
    Peter Golding from Welling?
  • Options
    may have lived welling then, can't think there would be another.
  • Options
    I knew a Peter Golding in Welling and ironically another from Abbey Wood/Belvedere...the latter was a Charlton fan
  • Options
    Had a sister who went to my primary school, St Augustines in Belvedere her name was Carol
  • Options
    keeps promising to give me his collection of old away day photos so i can upload them on here. Heard him mention Chris Slattery, Selwyn etc before, so from that era
  • Options
    Selwyn was a bit later on Dan 80's. CS was 70's I think, I know the name, but cant say I know him personally
  • Options
    Selwyn can still be found in the Cons on a matchday.........moaning LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to know some of the boys are still around. No different in the cons club to the ground then mate...lots of moaning....
  • Options
    Yeah, he's a grumpy old man now, him & Matty F
    :-)
  • Options
    and me....lol
  • Options
    I think it was the year of the Man U Cup run but certainly not long after we came back that there was an extremely fat bloke used to go shirtless to the games. We nicknamed him Big fat pete after Mr garland which gives you an idea of when I'm talking about.

I think he got himself in the papers and on the TV.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2008
    That was Oxford (so named because he lived there)

He collapsed ill at Coventry away years ago and had to be stretchered off down the side of the pitch.

I think he comes on here.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]That was Oxford (so named because he lived there)

He collapsed ill at Coventry away years ago and had to be stretchered off down the side of the pitch.

I think he comes on here.

I think I remember him from Sheff U away many years ago - game was a dull 0-0, and his singing on the public bus back to the centre of Sheffield afterwards was the most entertaining part of the afternoon. Certainly surprised the grannies coming home with their shopping...
  • Options
    you talking about this one ?

http://www.charltonlife.com/gallery/index.php?album=Steve_Bridge&image=tangotickertape.jpg
  • Options
    Thats him, Oxford
  • Options
    LOL, great picture. The guy sitting down, to his right, looks an awful lot like our Riscardo. He must have been well over 27, even then!
  • Options
    i remember him well. I remember when the new east stand opened and he got on the pitch.