Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I Pod Touch/I Phone

I want to get my boy an I pod Touch for his B'day, for a little bit more is it worth just buying the I phone??

Any advice appreciated.

(Anyone selling one?)

Comments

• Options
    I've got an iPod Touch, I love it, since the upgrade with all the applications its the nuts especially if you have wi-fi at home.

Other views here

Previous Thread
  • Options
    I hate all things Apple (Goes back to the 80's when I was into Atari's), but a colleague has an iPod-Touch and it really is very very nice. I hate to say it but I am tempted.
  • Options
    I got iphone, is better if you have a mac, but i would still get one anyway, damn thing is the bomb.
  • Options
    i always want to be different

I always want good gadgets

I looked at the iPhone and realised it was nothing short of superb and so I got one.

I am delighted with the decision.

It is THE BEST GADGET EVER imo
  • Options
    Hows the typing on the iphone? I like my current phone as it has a full qwerty keyboard that slides out - not sure that the iphone has this?
  • Options
    It has a full qwerty on the touchscreen, which you get used to very quickly
  • Options
    Dont get the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 - pain in the @rse.

looks great and could be great, Just the software is miles behind the iphone and Blackberry.

I'm sending mine back and getting the blackberry storm. (would get the iphone but the company is tied into Vodafone)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]It has a full qwerty on the touchscreen, which you get used to very quickly

Does it work though? Mine's also got a qwerty on the touchscreen but it's small and not very sensitive
  • Options
    Yeah, the one on yours if designed to be used with a stylus, the iPhone is designed to be used with your fingers

iphone-keypad-727599.jpg
  • Options
    Sweet, just have to wait for my Orange contract to expire now...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Yeah, the one on yours if designed to be used with a stylus, the iPhone is designed to be used with your fingers

iphone-keypad-727599.jpg

It's intuitive too - if you spell a word wrong it auto updates. Very clever and rarely wrong
  • Options
    complete phone idiot, my current phone is so old i think texting was a new feature on it.

Need one with decent web access. Played with my mates iphone and didn't like the touch keypad style. I like the look of the new Goggle one, anyone know anything about it ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]complete phone idiot, my current phone is so old i think texting was a new feature on it.

Need one with decent web access. Played with my mates iphone and didn't like the touch keypad style. I like the look of the new Goggle one, anyone know anything about it ?

Played on G1 recently, the hardware itself is a complete dog, and feels cheap as anything. the software is ok, but not as good as a iPhone or Blackberry.

Depends what you want a phone to do, some people love having everything in one device like an iPhone, but some will love a simple nokia which does what they need
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i have an iphone and a nokia e65, the latter is a pretty good function rich web/email phone if a little bit small, it suits purpose very well
  • Options
    I'm down with getting a blackberry storm when me contract runs out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]complete phone idiot, my current phone is so old i think texting was a new feature on it.

The Google one is made by HTC, the same company that make my TYTN II. Works well but is bulky, locks up fairly often and the battery life isnt all that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]TYTN II

Or Vodaphone V1605, which is standard issue in our place.

It is really frustrating how it keeps on locking up.

Still tempted by the iPod Touch, this from someone who swore never to julp on the Apple bandwagon.

Question, will an iPod work with Media Monkey?
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Windows mate.... nuff said

Never thought I'd be a Mac person, but wouldn't be without my Macbook now...
  • Options
    The only thing about that Blackberry is that it doesn't come with WiFi, which might be a problem Buckshee
  • Options
    I reiterate my previous comments - iPhone is simply excellent.

The Apps are excellent
    It's very user friendly
    It crashes rarely

The keyboard is actually very good and intuitive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The only thing about that Blackberry is that it doesn't come with WiFi, which might be a problem Buckshee

Strange decision to leave WiFi out... have any of the previous Blackberry devices had it? I can't think of any...
  • Options
    Right, been to Bluewater and passed over to the dark side today - Went into the Apple store.

Had a play with an iPod touch and have to say that I loved it, so Santa guess what I am asking for this year?? (No bloody chance says Mrs. BDL) Thought about an iPhone but I have a long contract lock in with my current provider.

Before I fully convert to the other side I have a few questions:

Music library - Lot's of my stuff was ripped off CD's and I will admit to have bought a few MP3's from some "overseas" music sites in the ex soviet union. Can I load these on to an Ipod as MP3's. What DRM restrictions are there?
    Battery life - Is it good/bad/indifferent?
    Can you download TV programs from BBC iPlayer?

Oh and where can I get a cheap macbook?

Thanks
  • Options
    Music Library, just dump it in iTunes, and away you go, only thing it won't play is Windows media files, the DRM stuff is a load of old poop.

Battery, others can tell you.

iPlayer, check the iTunes music store
  • Options
    Cheap Macbook - Apple prices are fixed, so you'll find the same price in Dixons as you will the Apple store. However, you obviously don't pay VAT on them if doing duty-free... so I got mine from Dixons in Gatwick airport, collecting it on the return flight. Otherwise, there's the student route, which I think gets you 15% off...

The Macbook range has just been updated, so I guess you might find some retailers dropping prices of the old model, if they still have any. Not sure if Apple still fix the prices for those..
  • Options
    if you like the music side of things and want a touch screen phone then the nokia 5800/tube is good as well , touchscreen with all the internet and wi-fi but it comes with the ability to download free unlimited music for a year!